Author Topic: NSW PASTORAL PROPERTIES (WENTWORTH) - Employee records?  (Read 5277 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: NSW PASTORAL PROPERTIES (WENTWORTH) - Employee records?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 09 May 20 05:02 BST (UK) »
My records are in hardcopy format.  The NSW State Library and the NSW State Archives were and continue to be excellent for primary sources. 

NSW State Library has the electoral rolls all the way back to the beginning of responsible government. 
Hi JM, you mentioned that you had found records of a James Robinson at Cowl Cowl Station, can you provide a link on where these records are please?  I only just found your messages again, i hope you can assist?  Thank you Deb
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline DebTiziani

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NSW PASTORAL PROPERTIES (WENTWORTH) - Employee records?
« Reply #28 on: Friday 16 April 21 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith
My 2nd great grandparents were James Robinson and Harriet Matilda Slade, Hannah's sister, they married after Hannah died from an infection after giving birth to George who also passed away.  I have James and Hannah's marriage certificate which shows James's parents names as Ann Peterson and Thomas Robinson.  I have also found James's baptism record with the same parents in Manchester in 1848.  I have traced him through the census until he was 20 years of age but are yet to find him on a passenger ship to Australia.  The family storey I have been told doesn't match the records I have uncovered and the ship given in that story and other records does not exist as a passenger ship at that time.  The earliest record I have of James is his marriage record to Hannah but I have also a newspaper article that is from a court session where he was charged for assault in a bar fight near Cowl Cowl where it states he was a bullock driver passing through the town.  James was a bullock driver for sometime, particularly in Mildura where he built the irrigation channels for the Chaffey family.  The marriage record to Hannah also states he was a stockman at Gol Gol station.  I have tried census records and finding records from stations that he worked but are yet to find records of him at any of the stations apart from official records where they are recorded as well as in his obituary.  After the death of Hannah she was buried with her two infant sons in Wentworth cemetery likely in an unmarked grave.  Harriet and James then resided in Mildura for the remainder of their lives.  I am happy to provide further details if you have any questions and would be interested to hear how you descend from the Robinson/Slade family?
Kind regards

Deb