Author Topic: NSW PASTORAL PROPERTIES (WENTWORTH) - Employee records?  (Read 5242 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: NSW PASTORAL PROPERTIES (WENTWORTH) - Employee records?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 May 13 10:08 BST (UK) »
I forgot to add the following links

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,369775.0.html  this is full of further links.  It is the RChat Australian Resources Board and it is an absolutely fantastic place to find links for all sorts of family history queries.

http://www.coraweb.com.au/  This is the website that clancam mentioned .... it is very good too

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 May 13 10:37 BST (UK) »
Burials on stations/properties can be a bit of a bit and miss at times.
I have had 2 lots over the years on separate properties.  One was " buried out there somewhere" sort of thing and the other was buried in a private cemetery on the property. There were quiet a few buried on that property and they had it fenced off and kept reasonably clean and tidy. We got permission to go out there and the caretaker of the property met us and showed us where it was. We also got a terrific history lesson into the bargain  ;D Some had headstones and some didnt but it was a very interesting afternoon  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 May 13 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

From Sands Pastoral Directory 1903

WENTWORTH (Pastures Protection Board) District
Inspector  D A MORGAN
Owner
HOPE, Trustees of J,
Station:  Para,
Post Town : Wentworth
Horses : 35;  Cattle 16;  Sheep 22766 (yes that’s nearly 23,000 head, and Para was by no means the largest of those sheep stations ….  At that time, William Crozier was running 23931 sheep,  The Cudmore Brothers had 29,768 on their station, )

From Sands 1904 Pastoral Dir
HOPE, Trustees of J,   Para,   Wentworth ….. 35 horses, 12 cattle, and 2800 sheep.   (yes only 2 thousand 8 hundred)…

ADDING
Sands 1909 Pastoral Directory
HOPE, R E H,  Para, Wentworth …. 41 Horses,  220 Cattle and 21736 sheep.

Sands 1914 Pastoral Directory
HOPE, R E H, Para, Wentworth … 103 Horses, 137 cattle,       17884 sheep,      159146 acres, 

Cheers,  JM

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline earlybird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 May 13 12:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone, you've provided plenty of resources & advice for me to consider.

Majm, I initially wanted to locate the grave of the young women (Amy Olive West Harris) which  I think may be on the Tapio run (Para East). For the very reasons you've explained I realise the chances of finding a grave are remote and if located I'd be surprised if it had a headstone.
My g-g grandmother died many years later and is buried in the Mildura cemetery without a headstone so that's probably an indication of what their financial status was.

if you come across the name Joseph Harris, Anne Harris OR Elizabeth Jane Harris or Milligan, I'd be very interested to hear from you. In the meantime I'll check out the other options. Thanks. EB
RULE - Cornwall,  SMITHAM, Smitheram (and variations of spelling) - Cornwall,
Elizabeth Jane HARRIS - Kapunda,South Aust/Wentworth,NSW/Mildura,Vic & HARRIS in Kalgoolie/Coolgardie region - West Aust., Thomas KNIGHT - BURRA, GILLESPIE

Families are like fudge, mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Offline DebTiziani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 September 18 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I am also looking for records of my 2ng grandfather who was a stockman first iaround 1873 at Gol Gol station and then at Para station in 1874. His name was James Robinson, born in 1848, married Hannah Slade in 1874 in Wentworth.  I noticed that there is a Charles Robinson buried at Gol Gol Cemetery but I am unsure if he is related. Prior to his marriage to Hannah I am unclear how he ended up at Gol Gol. I believe he was born in Liverpool and I think I have found his baptism record but trying to verify that. If anyone can point me in the direction for these two stations I would very much appreciate it. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you, Deb

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 02:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

:)

Welcome to RootsChat,  it is the very best place for help with family history.

I will see if I have any further information to share re your James Robinson and your Hannah Slade in my offline resources.

JM

Offline DebTiziani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 04:54 BST (UK) »
Hi JM, I would really appreciate it, thank you,, Deb

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 06:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Debbie
Looks as though the Charles Robinson buried at Gol Gol actually had the surname BRADSHAW and the "Robinson" was his second Christian name, making his full name Charles Robinson BRADSHAW, so probably no relation to your James ROBINSON.

There's a photo of his grave here - sadly drowned
http://www.wentworth.nsw.gov.au/heritage-study-item-54.aspx

Editing to add:
This seems to be the death registration for the man on the headstone:

Charles R BRADSHAW, registration: 10855/1880, Wentworth
parents William, Rebecca

There is a death registration for another man with the surname ROBINSON who seems to have drowned also in the Murray:
1885 #14794, registered Wentworth
Charles H ROBINSON, 28, died Murray River, WENTWORTH
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebTiziani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 06:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I have been told one of James's sons died in a similar incident on the property of Rio Vista, although I am yet to find proof.