Author Topic: Fitzgerald's of The Abbey Skibbereen / Lisbealad Dunmanway Cork  (Read 13799 times)

Offline annafitznorris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fitzgerald's of The Abbey Skibbereen / Lisbealad Dunmanway Cork
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 May 13 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
I don't think that the Matheus Fitzgerald and Maria Donovan are part of this.
Richard did have a son Matthew(my Grandfather), (11-05-1879) and he married Ellen Daly.
With regard to Murty Mor's family mentioned in the previous post, some older family members think there may also have been another son, James.
Anna

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 May 13 13:18 BST (UK) »
No, the dates for that Matthew probably don't fit.

The Richard we have been writing about was born in 1807.
He died OCT-Dec. 1903.

This is the oldest Richard Fitzgerald in 1901 census living in Cork but the age is a bit less- also, children are quite young  ???
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Drinagh/Lisbealad_West/1141877/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline annafitznorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 May 13 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes that Richard is my Great grandfather.
He married twice which explains why the children are so young.
His oldest child from his first marriage was Catherine(1847)
His youngest from his second marriage was Mary born around 1882.
Thanks
Anna

Offline annafitznorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks
I have been looking for my Grand uncle Richard Fitzgerald born 10-04-1875 in Lisbealad, Dunmanway Co Cork.
Last week I saw him mentioned in the England and Wales National Probate Calendar ( Index of Wills and Administration)
The deceased lady Mary Catherine Fitzpatrick ( Fitzgerald) died in Croyden Surrey 1931. I know for sure that Mary Catherine, who was my Grand aunt is a sister of Richard's, as is the other lady mentioned Juli Ann McCarthy ( Fitzgerald).
How could I find out from that probate where exactly Richard lived at that particular time?
Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated.
Thank you all so much
Anna

Offline Spanrz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 02 March 14 13:16 GMT (UK) »
I have undertaken some FTDNA tests recently and I had a hit on 2 x "Driscoll" surname (kits) who were of this area Skibbereen / Dunmanway.
The link was to being of a Fitzgerald and we were about 3rd-4th cousins.

However I have a Richard Fitzgerald, who was born on 4th Dec 1807 in Market Lane Cork City. He was a brother to my 4th GGF Thomas, born Dunbar St Cork City 1810.
Their parents were William Fitzgerald and Catherine Godson. It is believed that William and Catherine left Ireland for England around the 1830's?.

I don't know what happened to Richard, but his brother Thomas left Cork (and Ireland) in 1839/1840 and headed for Sydney Australia.
Thomas crossed over from being Catholic to Protestant.

Is there any ties with you guys, with Richard migrating from Cork City to the Skibbereen area?
Researching :
Maternal - Hasler (Parliament + Photographers) - mid 1700's+, Galway City & Dublin
Paternal - Fitzgerald - mid 1700's+, Cork City
Maternal - MacNevin (Solicitor's) - mid 1700's+, Dublin
Maternal - Newenham (Parliament, Military) - mid 1700's+, Cork & Dublin
Maternal - Persse (Moyode+Roxborough) - mid 1700's+, Galway
Others: Maternal - Blood, Blakeney (Athenry)

Offline annafitznorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 02 March 14 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Spanrz,
We appear to be from 2 different Fitzgerald Clans.

Yes my great grandfather was Richard Fitzgerald, born in Skibbereen in 1807.
His parents were Morty Mor Fitzgerald and Catherine Donovan.
We believe that Morty and Catherine went to Skibbereen from Mallow.

Richard married twice...his first wife was Anne Mahony from the Schull Co Cork area and that wedding took place 15th February 1846.
Following the death of his wife in 1859 Richard married Mary Grace in 1861.

Wishing you the best of luck with your research. If I come across any information that may be of use to you I will get back to you. "Godson" is an unusual surname and who knows I may come across something of interest at a later stage.
Best wishes
Anna

Offline Spanrz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Spanrz,
We appear to be from 2 different Fitzgerald Clans.

Yes my great grandfather was Richard Fitzgerald, born in Skibbereen in 1807.
His parents were Morty Mor Fitzgerald and Catherine Donovan.
We believe that Morty and Catherine went to Skibbereen from Mallow.

Richard married twice...his first wife was Anne Mahony from the Schull Co Cork area and that wedding took place 15th February 1846.
Following the death of his wife in 1859 Richard married Mary Grace in 1861.

Wishing you the best of luck with your research. If I come across any information that may be of use to you I will get back to you. "Godson" is an unusual surname and who knows I may come across something of interest at a later stage.
Best wishes
Anna

No worries. I am treading very carefully in hoping to find the exact clan of Fitzgerald's that link me.
I'm learning of what the families did, where they were at certain times, to help me place my link.

The reason for the post, was that I have just done some FTDNA and uploaded it to GEDmatch just recently.
Upon the upload, I have been linked to somewhat of a connection to an O'Driscoll family, that are somewhat related to these Fitzgerald's in Skibbereen. Now it's some sort of 3rd-4th cousin type of thing.
Your post about Mallow, is really interesting.
It is not proven from my side (as I have no factual evidence), but off other people I have recently connected with, that the Godson family, were known as Godsell. This family were from Mallow / Rathcormac area.
I have had to use the FTDNA (or the science part) to assist in which clan we belong. As I know how difficult it is, in finding the right one. And more to the point, how easy you can get it wrong.

I have extensive knowledge of my maternal side, which also relates to Cork and Ireland in the most extraordinary way. It is helping me map out what happened to my link. The problem is, not many records survive of this link.

If anyone has done a DNA test and uploaded to Gedmatch, I'd love to know/confirm/deny any connections. I haven't done any Y-DNA yet, but I have done full sequence mtDNA (won't be avail until 2-3 weeks)
My Gedmatch kit is : F322991
Thanks.
Researching :
Maternal - Hasler (Parliament + Photographers) - mid 1700's+, Galway City & Dublin

Offline Spanrz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 01:39 GMT (UK) »

I'm still watching this with great interest. I am currently talking with a person, who matches up with my DNA on 2 kits. Both kits relate to a possible strong family connection to Skibbereen. We have confirmed a 3rd cousin link to somewhat of a degree but with some minor sketchy details. There were also sprinkles of the family (not sure who), who were based in Kinsale, Dunmanway areas.
I have been DNA matched up with the Collins family as well. This is yet to be investigated.
Now what is intriguing, is that my 4th GGF, has a middle name of Fitzpatrick (noted on Death Certificate). I am still yet to identify why that's there.

Modified
Researching :

Offline annafitznorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Spanrz,
I have been discussing your message with a lady from Cork who is a descendant of a brother of my Great grandfather. She is a descendant of Edward Fitzgerald born in 1809.
We are totally at a loss in relation to placing any of the names that you have mentioned, and yet when you mention a Fitzgerald from Skibbereen......yes that is who we are also.
Do you know the name of Patrick Driscoll's great grandparents, as they may provide a worthwhile clue.
Dunmanway is interesting because my Great grandfather Richard lived in Lisbealad Dunmanway from 1855 till his death in 1903.
Another very good site working somewhat like roots chat is Ireland Reaching Out and it is also well worth looking at and possibly posting a question also.
Best of luck
Anna