Author Topic: Lind of Tristan D'Acunha  (Read 4661 times)

Offline larzus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lind of Tristan D'Acunha
« on: Sunday 19 May 13 16:48 BST (UK) »
In the 1840s at Tristan D'Acunha (or Tristan Da Cunha) were the nine families which are listed everywhere on the internet.  There was also a deserter from a whaling ship, name of Lind.  There are not many references to this man.  From all I have learned, he was not accepted by the nine families and eked out the existence of an exile, not allowed to trade with passing ships and not participating in the island's social life.

A small book titled 'The Utmost Parts of the Earth' by the Rev William F Taylor says that in 1826 there were five single men on the island:  surnamed Riley, Cotton, Peterson, Pert and Swain. (Also some married men including Governor Glass).  They made a bargain with a Captain Amm who agreed to fetch five wives from St Helena for the single men.  The five islander ladies arrived on the island on 12th April 1827.  It appears there were children too, at least some daughters, who came with the women. 

Some time in circa early/mid 1830's the sailor Lind arrived and though living in isolation, he took as a wife one of the daughters of the islander women.  They had at least six, maybe seven children.  It appears the wife and children were also kept in exile from the other inhabitants.

On 29 March 1850 the sailor Lind's body was found and the story was he took his own life.  Possibly this is true, information is too sketchy.  His widow and children suffered greatly over the next several months, almost starving to death.  Possibly some of the children did starve.

In late 1850 the whaling ship Bengal from America, captained by a man named Philips, stopped at Tristan D'Acunha and discovered the plight of Mrs C Lind and her children.  He took them on board and brought them to Hobart.  They were described in the arrivals list as being 'in a state of great destitution'. 

The book by Rev William Taylor says, following the description of Lind's death, "His worthless partner soon after went away with her children in a whale-ship bound to Hobart Town."

In Hobart, three of Mrs C Lind's daughters were placed in the Queen's Orphanage.  The others were presumably older and able to find positions of employment.  There is no further reference to Mrs C Lind, I've no idea what happened to her. 

My questions:

Is there anyone who has researched the families of this island group who has names for the five islander women and/or the islander daughters who came with them from St Helena?

Has anyone come across my Mr Lind?

Is there any record anywhere of United States whaling ships which might list deserters or declare them as criminals or some such?  (I gather most though not all whaling ships were American so worth investigating)

I've found a few online forums for people studying this island but last posts were all about 8 years ago and I've not managed to contact anyone through them.

Irene

This family:

Mr Lind
Mrs C Lind

Lucinda born 1836
Agnes   born 1841
James   born 1843
Clara     born 1845
Three other children Margaret, John and David listed as arriving but no further information located.
O'Keefe Clare Ireland, Briers Leicestershire, Brown Fordham Cambridgeshire, McKinley Fermanagh, Cox from Windsor, Berkshire, Dunstall Sussex, Morey Dorset, Peard Fermoy, Dillane Limerick, Lockley Staffordshire, Cowen Birmingham, Bone Kent and many many more.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lind of Tristan D'Acunha
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 May 13 17:23 BST (UK) »
One of these ladies was SARAH BASSETT-KNIPE and she lived with RICHARD
 RILEY for many years before leaving the island for SA where they both
 died. The original spelling may have been Bazet [a Captain Bazet arrived in St Helena about 1680 and lived there for some time]. and the hyphenation is probably a later affectation.

The book by George Crabb the philatelist, was thought to be the authoritative history of Tristan. I sold my copy for £80 about 12 years ago. That is the only name that I can recall.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline larzus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 May 13 03:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I've found a copy of this book available on Amazon.   It will take a while to reach me but obviously going to be useful.

Thank you also for the information about Richard Riley and his wife.  I'll gather all the information I can about the island and see if any leads emerge from it.

Irene
O'Keefe Clare Ireland, Briers Leicestershire, Brown Fordham Cambridgeshire, McKinley Fermanagh, Cox from Windsor, Berkshire, Dunstall Sussex, Morey Dorset, Peard Fermoy, Dillane Limerick, Lockley Staffordshire, Cowen Birmingham, Bone Kent and many many more.

Offline larzus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 June 13 04:43 BST (UK) »
My copy of the 'History and Postal History of Tristan Da Cunha' has arrived, and it does have a great deal of information in it.

However, my particular family are not mentioned at all.  The author does quote the very book where I found that information, but does not mention my person which is a pity.  There would have been no proof that he existed, I might have doubted it myself if I did not have proof from Hobart.

What I have learned, though, is that only one of the five women came with children:  this was the lady who married Swain.  I cannot in either book find a first name for Swain, but I've only just learned this much.

Swain came from "The Cape" although not sure if that was his origins or only his residence prior to Tristan Da Cunha.   

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 June 13 09:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry about that. I did not recall the name Lind but it is 20 years since I last read the book. I had in my possession a letter from George Crabb to a lady in Johannesburg in which he says that his book was now being used to teach their history to the schoolchildren on Tristan, there being nothing other than oral tradition and some sketchy marriage and baptismal records.

I know he had consulted all of the records of AB Crawford who was on the island during WWII and had also spoken with descendants of the Rileys who were living, I think, in Aliwal North.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 June 13 09:45 BST (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/12851577

This Australian newsppaer article may mention the man Lind and his situation though not by name - he is anonymous.

Offline larzus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 June 13 18:09 BST (UK) »
A very interesting article, and a reminder to me to keep looking in the papers.  Thank you for pointing this out.

I have investigated carefully and it seems the man referred to here is not my man.  But I looked further and did find an article about him in The Maitland Mercury - not a paper I would have expected to find anything in.

It seems his name was indeed Lind, and he was Scottish.  This doesn't surprise me, I'd already detected a Scottish flavour to the children's names.  Also there were seven children so I have them all.

So millimetre by millimetre I am making progress.

Irene

Offline CLARK RESEARCHER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 December 14 22:55 GMT (UK) »
hi i am descended from Clara Lind one of Catherines daughter I was wondering how your research was going on where the ladies who went to Tristan D  Achuna came from and was Sarah bowers a slave or descended from slaves .
thanks looking foward to your reply

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 December 14 23:55 GMT (UK) »
In the book 'Legacies of Colonial English: Studies in Transported Dialects
edited by Raymond Hickey'

5 Women who arrived from St Helena

Sarah Jacobs and Maria Williams who were sisters. Sarah Jacobs father was white (from England) and her mother was from St Helena. They are not sure if Maria Williams had the same father. They also mention that the girls mother may have been a slave and they may have adopted the surnames of their mothers owner at the time (hence the different surnames of the two).

Sarah Bassett-Knipe, was listed at white in a census and had English parents.

((So there are 3 perhaps 4 of the women arriving from St Helena c1827)

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=OqUBUgW_Ax8C&pg=PA396&lpg=PA396&dq=tristan+da+cunha+surnames+of+the+women+from+St+Helena&source=bl&ots=w9TlQ5cThT&sig=YOEh4U3KhXBpwS5xBVDQSVKd2UM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=3kKfVPb9BeHWmAWisYDICw&ved=0CFIQ6AEwDDgK#v=snippet&q=Williams&f=false

((Slavery was abolished on St Helena in 1827))
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)