Author Topic: Looking for Info on Joseph Hancock  (Read 2610 times)

Offline susie89

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Info on Joseph Hancock
« on: Sunday 19 May 13 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for info on Joseph Hancock b. 1740 d. April 1808 Laugharne Carmarthenshire, he married Hester b. 1740 d. 1800 in 1757, I believe they are the parents of Thomas Hancock 1763-1839 who was born in Camrose, Pembrokeshire. Thomas Hancock was my Great Great Great Grandfather, he was married to Sarah Hendy 1760-1846.  Any info would be appreciated.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Rhosgoch

• RootsChat Member
  • Granny Betsy Saer
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Info on Joseph Hancock
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 May 13 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Susie89,

Not sure Joseph Hancock, Laugharne, is the father of your Thomas Hancock born Camrose in 1763.

Joseph and Hester Hancock baptised the following children - Jane 1758, Margaret 1760, Sarah 1762, Elizabeth 1764, and Edward 1768 all at Laugharne. According to his will he also had Mary, Martha, Eleanor, John and Thomas. Thomas I presume was the eldest son as he was named as the executor, but I can't find baptisms for these children.

You can read Joseph Hancock's will at NLW.

Regards,

Rhosgoch

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 May 13 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Susie

A Joseph & Hester Hancock had a Son Thomas baptised 20 Dec 1774 at Llansadwren,Carms

Have you read replies on your Thread on the Pembrokeshire  Board regarding your Hancocks ?

Kind regards

omega

Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Sophiejoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 May 13 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am also looking for info on Joseph Hancock b. 1740 d. April 1808 Laugharne Carmarthenshire, he married Hester b. 1740 d. 1800 in 1757, I believe they are the parents of Thomas Hancock 1763-1839 who was born in Laugharne, Carmarthen shire. Thomas Hancock  he  married Sarah Hendy 1760-1846. 

Offline susie89

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 May 13 13:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the help and info, I now believe that Thomas Hancock was born in Laugharne, Carmarthenshire

Offline susie89

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 May 13 15:26 BST (UK) »
I believe my Thomas Hancock 1763 to 1839 is the son of Joseph Hancock 1740-1808 both born in Laugharne, Carmarthenshire.  I am looking for an exact birth date for him, some info says he was born in 1771, and on this site I was given a date of 20/12/1774, I believe he was the oldest son of Joseph Hancock and was the executor in his will, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Susie :)

Offline Rhosgoch

• RootsChat Member
  • Granny Betsy Saer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 May 13 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Susie,

I don't think your Thomas Hancock is the one born in Laugharne. Two reasons - He was born c1774 so would have been 10 years old at his marriage!. Secondly, Thomas Hancock b Laugharne 1774 married Mary Williams 27 September 1800, and baptised several children in Laugharne.

As Omega says, Joseph and Hester baptised a son Thomas on 20 December 1774, at Llansadurnen. They also baptised the other children named in the will at Llansadurnen - Mary and Martha, twins, 1766, Elinor 1770, John 1773. Also Joseph Hancock was buried in Llansadurnen Church on 26 March 1808.

There are several Family Trees on Anc*** showing Joseph Hancock.

Regards,

Rhosgoch

Offline susie89

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 May 13 16:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info, most appreciated,

Susie :)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great-grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 September 18 21:45 BST (UK) »
No baptism of a Hancock in Laugharne 1813 to 1875.
Thompson, Ikin, Oakes and Goulding of Over, Winsford, Cheshire