Author Topic: The Unexplained and Hypnotic Regression Family Search  (Read 28710 times)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Unexplained and Hypnotic Regression Family Search
« on: Monday 20 May 13 21:44 BST (UK) »
       Just over two years ago I watched Tony Robinson being regressed in his programme about The Cathars in The Unexplained short series.     This had been shown in the UK some two years earlier at that time.

In the regression which you can watch here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4Sv_Y4k6dg - from about 4.33 minutes into the clip - Tony describes a scene where he is some kind of army officer holding a swagger stick, wearing a khaki uniform, and every one is facing what looks like an Indian Sultan.    He said it was very dirty and he felt very thirsty.    He gave the year as 1847, his age 26, and his name as Marshall CRANLEY.

Afterwards when asked what his feelings were about it all, he remarked that some of it felt very phoney, but some was very real.

The next day I began a search.     I cannot recall now how I stumbled on it, but what I did find seemed to just come up on my monitor.    The programme employed a professional researcher who never found what I did.     I know from past experience that I have often been shown things through some kind of inner intuition or something else.     The fact that the programme also employed a sceptic would have been like throwing water on a fire as they do have a very strong blocking effect.

However this is what I found -
      Col. Arthur Walton Onslow (1818-1895), Bengal Army
     The age is spot on - 26 years old would take us into 1845 if your past life birthday was later in the year than the recall of memory scene.
      Arthur's son was called Richard CRANLEY.       This would be because Arthur was the VISCOUNT CRANLEY – I think the name came from where they lived – Cranley, Surrey.
        The Marshall name is connected to the Onslow's – but exactly how is not confirmed.
        I tried a search for Arthur Onslow in the LDS Search website and got one hit.
        An ARTHUR ANDREW ONSLOW married a Harriet Louisia MARSHALL in Down, Ireland in 1843.

What I didn't find was whether Arthur Andrew Onslow was related to Arthur Walton Onslow.  If so then the name Marshall might well have been on his mind at the time.

Can anyone find the connection?   The Internet is full of information on this family.

I did write to Tony care of his studio but never got any acknowledgement.    However he will know because I did manage to get in touch with the lady who regressed him and she was going to let him know.    She was I might add very grateful for the information I had come up with that had utterly by-passed the professional researcher.

Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline BristolClark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Unexplained and Hypnotic Regression Family Search
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 May 13 23:34 BST (UK) »
I remember watching that programme on my many days studying hard ( ;D) as a student.

Great find. It makes me wonder if many of the other "celebrities" which were regressed under hypnotherapy and had no factual tale to corroborate the tale they told, could; if looked at with advances in online tools, be 'fleshed out' today.

Very interesting subject. My great-Grandmother was a spiritualist and I have been told some very conclusive stories concerning her ability. I've always found the subject fascinating.

EDIT: Unfortunately, it says I can't watch the video. Odd considering I am in England. 

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 May 13 23:53 BST (UK) »
I remember watching that programme on my many days studying hard ( ;D) as a student.

Great find. It makes me wonder if many of the other "celebrities" which were regressed under hypnotherapy and had no factual tale to corroborate the tale they told, could; if looked at with advances in online tools, be 'fleshed out' today.

Very interesting subject. My great-Grandmother was a spiritualist and I have been told some very conclusive stories concerning her ability. I've always found the subject fascinating.

EDIT: Unfortunately, it says I can't watch the video. Odd considering I am in England.

I just downloaded it and it plays alright in OZ, so might be a regional thing.   Another avenue is to try and trace it through the BBC.   I've done that in the past and found clips there.  But I have seen the series on DVD in our local ABC shop.

In the meantime try this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_JrakDTonc   This is part 9 of an 11 part series which was filmed some 30 years ago by Peter Ramster of Sydney.   The story of the late Gwen begins here as she recalls her past life as Rose Duncan 200 years previously in Somerset.  When taken there she identified many places and found the stone slab she had drawn under hypnosis in Sydney - under one hundred years of chicken muck and straw.
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 May 13 23:57 BST (UK) »
   I've just searched a bit more and discovered that Arthur was in the Bengal 28th Nat. Inf. in Midnapore as an Ensign in December 1837 when he was granted leave.  (Calcutta Monthly Journal and General Register).

But interestingly there was another officer called Marshall in the very same 28th Nat.Inf.   He shows up in Allen's Indian Mail & Register of Intelligence for British and Foreign India as a Capt. in 1872, Major 1879 to 1881 and a Colonel in 1888.   So this sounds like the same time period as fellow officer Arthur Viscount Cranley.
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm33,

I don't know much about the period, but I wondered about the detail of the 'khaki uniform' I thought khaki was a much later development in army dress.
Then I found this on Wikipedia
"The term Khaki (Urdu for dust) had come from India, where it was first worn by the Corps of Guides in 1846."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_Dress_%28British_Army%29
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corps_of_Guides_%28India%29

Any help?

I'm in UK so can't see the Youtube clip either. Channel 4 now have their own 4OD (Four On Demand) channel, but they don't have the programme in their archive there.

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 13:25 BST (UK) »
Back in 1976 I watched a Magnus Magnusson TV programme which involved Arnall Bloxham regressing some people.  The last person to be regressed was a very sceptical production researcher.

The team had to do some very detailed researching of archaic documentation not available to "Jo Public" to corroborate all the stories.

I found the series fascinating and have been a believer ever since.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 16:33 BST (UK) »
The most famous one I remember was Jenny Cockell an ordinary housewife and a mother of two children from Northamptonshire.  Not only did she  believe that she had lived before, as an Irish woman called Mary Sutton who was born in 1897, but she 'found' her children still living in Ireland.

If you google Jenny Cockell, you'll get any number of results about her.  There was a TV programme about her some years ago and I've since read her book.  If her story doesn't make you at least think reincarnation exists, then nothing will.

Offline Meezer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 19:59 BST (UK) »
I remember reading about a man who had gone on holiday abroad (can't remember the country, somewhere Mediterranean I think!) and had gone on a tour where there was a Roman site. The guide showed them a series of holes in the wall and said that there were a number of theories as to what they might have been for but no one really knew. Suddenly without thinking the chap said that they were so that the officer of the guard could see where all his men were at a given time - a ball in each hole on a different line represented "in the city", "out of the city" or "off duty". He said it came out so naturally that he knew that he'd been there in the past and couldn't explain how on earth he would have known such a thing otherwise!

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 20:32 BST (UK) »
I think this is your Marshall/Onslow connection Malcolm:

From the newspaper archive: marriage notice in Berrow's Worcestershire Journal:
"May 11 1843 at Rostrevor Church, parish of Kilbroney, county Down, by the Rev. T. H. Bird, the rev. Arthur Andrew Onslow, vicar of Claverdon-cum-Norton, Lindsay, Warwickshire and second son of the Venerable Archdeacon Onslow, to Harriet Louisa, second daughter of the late Simon Marshall esq, and grand-daughter of the late General Sir Dyson Marshall, K.C.B."

There is a will in the National Archives collection for the Ven. Archdeacon Richard Francis Onslow, Clerk, Archdeacon of Worcester of Newent , Gloucestershire dated 11 January 1850

It was Arthur George Onslow (b. 1820), not Arthur Walton Onslow, that was Viscount Cranley; page from Debrett's (snippet view in google books) here:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0u2l/
If you read down, you will see Archdeacon Richard Francis Onslow in the list of descendants; so his son, Arthur Andrew Onslow that married Harriet Marshall, was linked to the Cranley family.

None of which proves that Tony R's "Marshall Cranley" was a genuine regression.. you have to convince the sceptics that when Tony said "Marshall Cranley" he meant "Arthur Onslow" 

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk