Author Topic: re Camerons  (Read 20611 times)

Offline granbinnie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: re Camerons
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 08 December 19 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol
I have just checked those names on vic bmd site
Malcolm Flora and Ann were all born in Portland to Donald and Catherine Campbell.
Malcolm 1856 Portland reg no 4189
Flora 1858 Portland reg no 16586
Ann b 1874 portland reg no 18260.
 a Donald also m a Mary Mcdonald, a Donald also m a Cath McRae of Ballarat,  Donald also m a Mary McLachlan, and a Donald m a Mary Cameron. all around same timeas my gggrandparents.
Julienne Where do you fit in I dont know who my Mary Cameron Married.

Offline Carolbea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 08 December 19 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the update.  :) wow that's a huge assistance. I am working on a project relating to the Boyd families in Ardgour, Kilmallie Parish with Boyd Family History Group in Pomberneit Victoria, Australia. My husband is a descendant of the same Boyd line as that family, only his  great grandfather Duncan Boyd was one of the Boyd brothers who stayed in Blaich Ardgour and they are descendants of one of the four brothers that came to Victoria. My husband was a much later emigrant to Victoria and we met ( I'm a kiwi" ) while I was on my O/E - far too many years to tell ago.  Descendants still farm the land in Blaich that was one of the initial crofts on the Maclean Estate and we travel back regularly. My late mother in law could verbally trace back six generations in her line and knew verbal history of families that migrated to Australia and NZ.  Verbal history states Boyds assisted  Maclean take by sword  the lands of Ardgour from the McMasters with the permission of the Lord of the Isles ( 1432 timeframe). Over the years together with Boyd researchers sorted out our line and various links. As any rsearchers well know a lot of information was collected and this has developed into a project to see what linking to the original Kilmallie Parish Register Boyds is known to date. Some amazing stories have come to light. As you are aware a huge number came to Victoria. Thanks for assistance with this family line.

Of interest is that other Boyds linked to Ardgour and our family were also at Sheep Hills/ Minyup.

Re: Susan ( Sarah) Cameron STONE - check out the Victorian Police Gazette on Ancestry for discharges in Hamilton - 14 charges for Susan at last count and she was age 86 years at that time. I sure hope that prison was warm and the food bearable because she sure ended many of her partying sprees there.

re: Mary Boyd married Allan Cameron- there is a strong possibility that her youngest brother John BOYD born 1807 Scotland maybe the man who married Grace McFarlane and came out to Victoria in 1853 on the " Australia" and settled as a farmer at Limestone Creek Victoria.

Offline granbinnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 08 December 19 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,
I have very little on my Allan Cameron and Mary Boyd family, as there are so many of same name I dont know which are mine. if you have any info to help would be appreciated. The McRaes all started off in Merino Victoria then Donald moved to Sailors Home. I don't belong to ancestry so would be interested to read susan/sarah's report. What families are you interested in in Minyip Sheep Hills my grandparents lived in Sheep Hills and know lots of info I did have several books on Sheep hills but gave them to museum earlier this year.
Julienne

Offline Carolbea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Boyds and Camerons
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 08 December 19 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Have a little background on Mary Boyd's parents - Mary Boyd's father was Donald Boyd of Coorybeg,(according to 1841 Kilmallie census - modern day spelling Corribeg) and mother was Marjory Cameron.  In the 1841 census Donald aged 78 years and Marjory 72years were at Corribeg and Donald's occupation is an agricultural labourer. Living with them were their son Alexander, wife Isabella and son Donald and daughter Mary Cameron ( nee Boyd) and three daughters Mary aged 12years, Sarah aged 10 years and Catherine aged 6 years. Corribeg would have been on the Cameron Estate.
 Unfortunately to date have not found an Old Parish Register (OPR) birth for Donald but from the 1841 census he would have been born about 1763 at Corribeg. Records indicate another Boyd  family who had moved across the waters of Loch Eil to the Cameron Estate in that early timeframe as well but apart from obviously being kin no closer relationship has been established.
Their eldest child recorded in OPR appears to be Ann born/baptised 22nd March 1795 and they were at Drumsaille on the McLean Estate in Ardgour at that time. To date have found Donald and Margery had a family of four
Ann Boyd 1795-1875 married John Young- descendants came to Australia
Mary Boyd  1798- unknown married Allan Cameron emigrated to Victoria Australia
Alexander Boyd 1805-1890 married Isabella McMillan later moved to Glasgow master wood sawyer
John Boyd born 1807 Corribeg - possibly died 1891 Vic - best fit is likely marriage to Grace McFarlane and they also came to Australia in 1853 on the " Australia" . On the ship with this family was Ewen Boyd and Ann Boyd (from two different family lines - Ann is within our family line) who eventually settled in Elmore, Victoria with large family. Ann's brother John married Catherine McLean had emigrated in 1852 to Victoria with their cousins (our family line). Ewen Boyd' s four brothers settled in Otago New Zealand and another brother Malcolm Boyd settled in Beaufort and after his death his wife Jane and sons moved to Minyup and this family have links to Sheep Hills. These Boyds were involved in their community and the Caledonian Band. Lovely photographs on Flickr Two Pennies of this family.
I has thought that it was a coincidence or networking within kin in Ardgour that had the two Boyd families were on the " Australia" together but fascinating to now know that your grandparents being at Sheep Hills. Scottish general network or kin network on work availability - guess will never know.

From the OPR Kilmallie records we have identified 14 Boyd family lines and their descendants but without OPR we cannot go back further. While those in the 1740+ timeframe would certainly have been close Boyd kin we cannot establish any closer relationship than that without primary evidence which given the time is just not available. What verbal history in Ardgour I have was just in relation to our direct family line. Wasn't interested in the wider subject at those times as was struggling to retain and document what my mother-in-law and her cousins knew on our line. Little verbal history on Boyd relationships documented from Victoria.

Would love to be able to insert some information on your grandparents in Sheep Hill and general social context into the story line of the family. Will post my email address to you direct box.