Author Topic: Goodall  (Read 3353 times)

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Goodall
« on: Thursday 23 May 13 06:06 BST (UK) »
Any information on the family of Charles Goodall, born abt 1879 in Fraserburgh, parents James Goodall (1833-1905) and Janet Kinnear, born Wemyss 10 Sep 1837.

Charles married Jean/Jane Mitchell MacPherson in Dec 1895, Edinburgh and the family lived there from then on. Residences at 80 Tron Square & 3 Castle Wynd.

Thank you.
milford, greenhalgh, childs, norman, (england) tripcony, drew, thomas, boddy (cornwall), hendry, harrold, riach, gray, grant (scotland)

Offline Unė kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Goodall
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 May 13 16:03 BST (UK) »
Charles Goodall was found in Granton East Harbour 24 September 1924 about 5pm cause of death given as drowning (Accidental?) aged 45.

Jean died 12th October 1945 at 1 Glenlockhart Road Edinburgh and this is the address given for the  Edinburgh City Poorhouse - advised by her son A Goodall which is probably this death:

1968   GOODALL   ALEXANDER MCP M   68   HAYMARKET   EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN
Goodall, Alexander Macpherson
cremated on:
03 Apr 1968 
Warriston Crematorium (Edinburgh)
date of death  
29 Mar 1968 

1911 census (80 Tron Square) has the family consisting of:

Charles  32
Jane 33
Charles 14
Alexander 12
James 10
Jane 8
Wilkie 6
George 4
Fred   4mths
Winifred 4

Married  15yrs 10 children of whom 8 were alive

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 May 13 21:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Unė kthimi i papenduar, I did not realise the relevance of the address. Surely Poor Houses were not operating as such in 1945, that's quite sad.   :(
milford, greenhalgh, childs, norman, (england) tripcony, drew, thomas, boddy (cornwall), hendry, harrold, riach, gray, grant (scotland)

Offline HJBennett

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 November 16 16:03 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother was Jean Macpherson Goodall, she lived at 3 Castle Wynd, Edinburgh.  She married Edward McAusland in 1926.  She had brothers Fred and Rob Goodall, uncle Rob stayed in 3 Castle Wynd for many years probably until 1975.

Im not sure if I have any more information to help you but feel free to ask.

Best regards.

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 November 16 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you HJBennett for that information. My research connection is through your grandmother's brother David Kinnear (Ronnie) GOODALL (1905–1965). I was missing brother Robert so I have now added him in. :) :)    That makes 9 siblings in total now, at least that I have verified.

Kind regards,

emjaye

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 November 16 10:17 GMT (UK) »
1881 census has them in Fraserburgh. James Goodall, 48, cooper; Janet, 43; Janet, 18; Christina, 16; William, 14; James, 12; Isabella, 8; Catherine. 6; Alexander, 4; Charles, 2; Elizabeth, 1 month plus granddaughter Christina, 1.

James sr and the four youngest born in Fraserburgh, both Janets in Buckhaven, Fife; Christina sr, William and James jr in Edinburgh, Isabella in Kennoway and Catherine in Windygates, both Fife.

An older child, Isabella Lovie Goodal, born 1861, and Margaret, born 1871, are missing, probably having died young.

You can get the dates of birth of the seven eldest children from the IGI at https://familysearch.org/search/collection/igi

If Charles was aged 2 on census day 1881 he was more likely born in 1878 than in 1879. You can get his birth certificate from Scotland's People https://scotlandspeople.gov.uk - it was indeed registered in 1878.

Unfortunately James and Janet seem to have got married in Liverpool in 1859, so their marriage certificate would cost you over six times as much as it would if they had married in Scotland, and it wouldn't tell you the names of their mothers. If, however, they died in Scotland, you should get their mothers' names as well as their fathers' from their death certificates, and you will get the exact date of their marriage from the children's birth certificates, so you can manage without the English marriage certificate.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks everyone, I will follow up :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 04:13 GMT (UK) »
When you have the parents of Janet Kinnear, born Wemyss 10 Sep 1837 from her death cert. there is a forum on here which Norrie G (RC'er) kindly contributes MI's from Fife Cemeteries (where/when available) which you can enquire about when moving up the ladder.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Given his age, place of birth, occupation and the fact that he named one of his daughter Isabel Lovie Goodall this James is almost certainly the son of James Goodall and Isobel Lovie. While he's with his widowed mother in 1851 I've yet to find him in 1841. His sister Christina married my 3xs great grandfather James Fraser in 1847.
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir