Author Topic: Hannah Woollin, marriage, Shardlow RD, Q2 1894  (Read 3996 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hannah Woollin, marriage, Shardlow RD, Q2 1894
« on: Thursday 23 May 13 08:24 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me with the details of this marriage, please?

Joseph Bowmer Rawson married his first wife (Mary Walker) at St Thomas' in Derby in 1885 (have that certificate), but after she died in 1893 he married Hannah Woollin/Woollen/Woolley in Shardlow Reg District in 1894.  From census records, Hannah says she's from Breadsall, b. 1854, so I'm thinking the marriage might have been there, Morley or Little Eaton; that sort of area.

In 1891, Joseph, first wife and family are in Richmond Road, Derby and in 1901 he's with Hannah and family in Jackson Street, Derby.  In 1891 Hannah is in service on London Road (near The Plough Inn), but none of that helps much as to where the marriage took place.

I've looked on FamilySearch, but come up blank and could really do with knowing/confirming Hannah's father's name, as she never appears on a census living with him/her parents, only an aunt - Mary Woolley (b. 1820, Morley), and I can't really pin Mary down either (i.e. what was her maiden name, which Woolley did she marry etc).  There is a marriage between a Willoughby Willey (could that be another variation of Woolley?) in Ockbrook in August 1840 to a Mary Ann Putt, so I suppose that's a possibility.  No parental details for that one on FS, so not much help.  On the 1841 census Mary Woolley is living with John Moss, his wife and daughter, Hannah (yes, there are two Hannahs in this story!) in Breadsall.  In 1861 John Moss and his daughter Hannah are living with Mary (she's listed as head of the house) in Breadsall and John is said to be her brother, and with them is 6yo Hannah Woolley. 

So, if John Moss is Mary Woolley's brother, and Mary Woolley is Hannah Moss and Hannah Woolley's aunt, making the two Hannahs cousins, then I still can't work out how this bit of the family fits together.

There is a baptism on FS in Morley in 1854 of a Hannah Woolley, d/o Thomas and Eliza (nee Harlow, I think), but by 1861, Thomas and Eliza are in Little Eaton where they stay - no other children with them on any census - until they disappear from the census after the 1881 one. 

Can anyone help with any info, please?

Thanks for reading.

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Woollin, marriage, Shardlow RD, Q2 1894
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 May 13 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Free BMD has the marriage of Joseph Bowmer Rawson in 1894 with a possible spouse, Hannah Woollin, Shardlow district.
Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 May 13 10:13 BST (UK) »
Family Search has the marriage of John Moss and Ann Woollin. 1835

1851 has John, widower with son Robert.

1851  has a single Mary Woollen with her mother Hannah, brothers (including a Thomas) and a granddaughter (to Hannah) called Hannah Moss.

Perhaps this is the connection. However, Mary Woolley in 1861 is described as a widow. :-\
1871 Mary W is unmarried.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 May 13 15:11 BST (UK) »
Marriage at Morley, Derbyshire 21 December 1803
William Woolley and Hannah Fowk

Children of William and Hannah WOOLLEY (or variant) baptised at Morley include:

Ann  1809 (only father's name recorded)
Mary 1820
Thomas   1829

Mary Woolley in 1851 and 1861 has an age consistent with her being born in 1820.  In 1851 she is with her widowed mother Hannah in Morley, together with brothers Henry aged 28 and Thomas aged 21.
As Heywood found, Ann Woolley married John Moss in 1835. 
In 1841 John and Ann Moss are in Morley with two son named Robert and William.  Ann is aged 30.
In the same household is Mary Woolley, aged 20.
In 1851 widower John Moss is in Derby with elder son Robert.

18 April  1854 Thomas Woollin s/o William Woollin married Eliza Harlow at Morley (on familysearch)
26 November 1854 Hannah d/o Thomas and Eliza Woollin was baptised at Morley.

Thomas and Eliza Woolley at Little Eaton in 1861 are possibly this couple
(Census ref:RG 9/ Piece: 2494/ Folio: 94/ Page: 24)

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 May 13 16:45 BST (UK) »
That's great.  Thanks everyone.

So, the only slight fly in the ointment is that in 1861 census Mary Woolley is listed as "wid", but we can't find out that she ever married. 

I tried to find Mary in 1871, but without any luck.  I see though that there's another Mary Woolley (b. 1820 in Morley), who appears to be married to a Henry Woolley (b. 1824 in Morley) and they're living in Morley with a son, Thomas, so I'll need to be careful not to confuse these two Mary Woolleys. 

There are a couple of deaths of Mary Woolleys in Shardlow RD between the censuses; one in Q2 1861 and the other in Q1 1865.  I suppose one of them could be "my" Mary.  I can't find any details on FS.  Can anyone else have better luck, perhaps?

STG

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 May 13 18:07 BST (UK) »
I'm inclined to think that 'Widow' in the condition column for Mary in 1861 is simply a mistake - the previous and following adults on the page are also widowed. Perhaps the enumerator's concentration wandered a little at that point.  She describes John Moss as her brother because he is her brother-in-law, which would not be unusual for the time. Or perhaps she did write 'brother-in-law' on her schedule and the enumerator shortened it.

Mary and John Moss are in Breadsall, at the same address in 1871, but John is listed as a lodger.  Mary's name is recorded as 'Wooley', and she is unmarried.   A 4 year old Elizabeth Moss is boarding with Mary.  She would appear to be the illegitimate daughter of Hannah Moss, but Hannah is not present.

Mary Wooley is back in Morley in 1881, at the house of her brother Joseph. Joseph Wooley s/o William and Hannah was baptised at Morley in 1817.

I can't see her in the 1891 census, but she may be Mary Woolley who died in Belper district March Q 1891 aged 70.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 May 13 18:32 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Moss is, indeed, the illegitimate daughter of Hannah.  No father named on the birth certifiate, but unusually (I think, anyway) the informant isn't the mother, it's John Moss "occupier".  I assume occupier of the un-named house where the baby was born on/in Breadsall Moor. 

Agree with you about the enumerator's lack of concentration.  Either that or he thought it was kinder to mark women of a certain as widows rather than unmarried! 

Thanks for your help.
STG