Author Topic: JACK Charles Douglas arrival Tasmania 1886-89  (Read 7812 times)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: JACK Charles Douglas arrival Tasmania 1886-89
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 29 December 18 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi As you have both made a couple of posts each you can now access all RootsChat functions.

Please do not keep putting your emails in your RootsChat posts, we keep removing them to keep you both safe as this is how spammer pick up on your details.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meelie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 30 December 18 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Sarah.

Offline meelie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 December 18 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen, I have sent you a private message.

I am delighted to have found this exchange of information. I am Karen Jack, grand daughter of Charles Leslie. I work in psychiatry and I am writing a novel based on Alice Jack's suicide, keeping as close to the facts as possible. I would be very grateful to make contact with the persons having started the chat on this subject

Offline meelie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 31 December 18 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I believe it is the same Charles Jack as the father is listed as William Jack-surgical instrument maker. I have been unable to find any children for them. I have been in touch with another Jack descendant who possibly is from Charles line as we share the same DNA as another Charles descendant who I am in touch with.
Amelia
Hi Sue
Thank you so much for this information.

Alice JACK was not on my list of children for Charles & Alice JACK snr. Have now found her birth in FreeBDM – Jun Q 1881. This means that Charles & Alice JACK snr probably arrived in Tasmania with three children. Alice Louise JACK married Charles Lesley DAVIDSON in 1904 in Tasmania. 

I didn’t know that Charles JACK snr had left Tasmania. The letter from Alice Louise DAVIDSON in Charles Leslie JACK’s service record really narrows this down to about Dec 1913 – Jan 1814.  As yet I haven’t found him on passenger list, either departure from Aust or arrival in the UK

The next of kin for Charles Leslie JACK’s brothers on their WW1 service records are their brothers not their father:
Theodore JACK’s next of kin is his brother William JACK NSW
Victor JACK’s next of kin is his brother Louis JACK NSW

It is possible that Charles JACK snr was in England when the war broke out in April 1914 and was unable to return or communicate with his family.

In one family tree that I found online Charles JACK snr is said to have died in Poplar London Dec Q 1932. But I can’t confirm that.

Thanks to your hints I have found a marriage, which could be Charles JACK snr:
St Faiths Church, Stoke Newington London 4 May 1916

Charles JACK  57 widower baker 74 Coronation? Ave, father William JACK surgical engineer

Isabel Louise BELL 37 widow 74 Coronation? Ave, father Lancelot .... BELL, occupation .... merchant Jamaica?

The details for Charles JACK on the parish register entry match those I have for Charles JACK snr from census records before he left for Tasmania. So I am fairly sure this is the right person.
If this is so then the 1932 death could also be the same person.

There are some sad stories in this family – Alice Rachel JACK’s drowning, Charles Leslie JACK’s gassing in WW1 and Charles JACK snr’s disappearance. As always family history research is far more than BDMs.

Barb