Author Topic: JANE LEVELY of Burnt River, Ontario  (Read 8310 times)

Offline LizzyFaire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Searcher in Vancouver, Canada/Seattle, USA
    • View Profile
JANE LEVELY of Burnt River, Ontario
« on: Monday 27 May 13 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have done a search on this and many other sites regarding the family of Adolphus Levely, who was born aboard ship coming from France in 1821. He eventually landed in Somerville Township in Victoria and died in Burnt River in 1904.

I have, I think, about all of the existing information there is regarding Adolphus (save for the name of the ship). My own particular interest is his daughter (Rosana) Jane, born on Feb. 21st 1861 in Fenelon Twp. She married my gg grandfather Charles Lat(t)imer sometime (or not?) and gave birth to my g grandmother Bertha Mae Latimer c. 1879. She must have died shortly thereafter for in 1881 Bertha is living with her father's family and Jane is nowhere to be found. Charles remarried at least once. Poor Jane is lost to history, other than her birth record, I fear. If anyone has any information, I would be very grateful.

Thank you,
Lizzy
Québec: Mailloux, McCann, Moreau, Hamel, Carignan dit Bourbeau, Fitzgerald
Ontario: Quibell, Lattimer, Levely, Brondi
Scotland: Henderson, Roden, Murray, Gunn, Donaldson
England: Quibell, Jefferson

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: JANE LEVELY of Burnt River, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 05:58 BST (UK) »
The Ontario births database has a birth for Julia Valote born 12 May 1881 in Somerville, Victoria with parents listed as William Valote and Rose Ann Jane Levely. There is a notation by Julia's name which indicates she was illegitimate.

The Drouin Collection has a death for a Roseann Lovelly, daughter of Adolphe Lovelly and Rosanne Solus(?) who died 26 Apr 1896 in Montreal and was buried 28 Apr 1896. The entry is from the parish records of Basilique Notre-Dame in Montreal.

Here is a link to a census image for the 1891 census which has Rose A. Lovelly listed as a lodger in Montreal (she's fourth from the bottom of the lower image):
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0u8a/

I haven't found any sign of Julia yet however.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 11:20 BST (UK) »
I hope you don't mind my asking but what documentation do you that indicates Bertha's mother was Roseanna Jane?

I saw the Missaukee County, Michigan marriage entry for Bertha Lattemore and Alfred Quibell (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NQS1-6JL) and it lists her parents as Charles E. Lattemore and Rachael E. Levely.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 15:01 BST (UK) »

Bertha the daughter married twice. First husband Alfred Quibell and second was Michael Pearson.

The marriage record from Michael indicates her mother is Jane Lively and  father Charles Latimer.

I will  PM you.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 04:20 BST (UK) »
I was a little concerned since I couldn't find any references to Rosanna being called Jane when she was alive but I'm good now that I've finally found the birth registration for Bertha in the Ontario births database at Ancestry. The writing was really bad and a lot of misspellings. It has an illegitimate baby girl named Birdy (that's what it looks like) born to Miss Royan Jane Lovley on 30 Dec 1879 in Somerville. No father was listed. The informant was Mrs. Lovley.

So Rosann has been found. I'm still coming up empty on Julia.

Jacquie

Offline LizzyFaire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 June 13 05:46 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am so, so sorry I haven't replied sooner. I've been on an island without water, let alone the internet, but I am very grateful for the wonderful leads.

Yes, I got that Rosana Jane was Bertha's mother form Bertha's second marriage to Michael Pearson. I have the marriage entry that said her mother was Rachael E., but for some reason I discounted it (perhaps it was on information on Bertha from my father, Bertha's grandson).

Jacquie, I am very interested in that birth registration you found. I have not been able to track it down on Ancestry. You research skills are far greater than mine. :)

Offline LizzyFaire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 June 13 07:12 BST (UK) »
Jacquie, that 1891 census page listing Roseanne is fascinating! Do you think she was a lodger? I find that page unusual as there is no domicile code or anything indicating which street, etc. And all of the people listed on the page are women, Roman Catholic, and neither married nor widowed. My first impulse is to say a convent. Other options, I suppose, are a brothel or some sort of hospital/asylum.
Wow. I will need to search back through the census to see what comes before that page.

Thank you!!!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 June 13 09:33 BST (UK) »
Definitely not a brothel. ;D At Ancestry I had to go back quite a few pages to get to the beginning of the entry and it still didn't give an address but there were a number of pages where all the "given" names listed were "soeur" which is French for sister.

Jacquie

Offline LizzyFaire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 June 13 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacquie,

From a unwed mother (X2?) raised on a farm in rural Ontario to a nun in Montreal, Rosanna Jane had a varied life. Now I get to tell my 79 year old father his grandmother was illegitimate, I wonder how he'll feel about that.

I was in old Montreal this past January and visited Notre Dame and some of the old religious sites, not knowing one of my ancestors lived there. Now I'll have to go back.

I'm wondering, when Bertha got married the first time at 16, whether she stated her mother was Rachael E. out of some sort of shame. Her own mother was certainly out of her life at that point. However, Rachel was only 12 or so at the time of Bertha's birth, so it's a strong likelihood that we are right about Rosanne Jane.

Now to track Bertha's trajectory - I have a few names to look at. Lovel(l)y, Latimer, Quibell and Pearson were all names she had at one point of another. I know she died sometime after July/August 1928 because my father has some letters dated then from her to my grandfather. She was working at The Be(l)lmont, which was, I believe, in Port Colberg, ON. So, when I get some time off work, back to the computer!

Thanks for all the invaluable support.

L.