Author Topic: JANE LEVELY of Burnt River, Ontario  (Read 8291 times)

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: JANE LEVELY of Burnt River, Ontario
« Reply #18 on: Monday 03 June 13 18:16 BST (UK) »
It would appear that Charles lied about his age as he is listed as 22 on his marriage in 1923 with Johanna and Bertha M Brondi as witnesses. So he would have been born in 1901 ? At age 16 he would have been too young to enlist.

From Norfolk, 1923
Charles Edwrd Quibell, 22, farmer, Michigan, Langton, s/o Alfred Quibell b. Burnt River and Bertha May Latimer, married Ethel Lavina Fitch, 19, Canada, Langton d/0 John Fitch b. Canada and Eliza Lucas. wtn: Johanna and Bertha M. Brondi of Langton, 13 Sept 1923 at Langton.
first address is where born, second where living according to the instructions at the sight.

Lewis/lawrence enlisted twice once in 1916 at age 17 and then in 1917 age 18. He used the same birth date and year so I am assuming that his birth year is correct. All he would have needed to enlist would be permission from one parent.

I wasn't able to find any Brondi's in Canada on the 1901 or 1911 census. There are no Quibell's in Langton and there is only one Brondi listed at Canada 411 (online directory) and that is in Hamilton.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 03 June 13 19:18 BST (UK) »
I did an internet search for "Charles Edward Quibell" and also for "Lawrence Quibell"
came up with a few interesting sites.
Kirkland Lake Cemetery
http://www.genat.org/cimetieres/photo.php?idPhoto=80020
Hopefully, the site works and you can view the gravestone.
Lawrence Quibell
Private, 253 Battn, CEF
d. 31 Dec 1964, age 63
wife - Margaret 1923-1985

found information at Gen Forum posted 2002
http://genforum.genealogy.com/quibell/messages/36.html

Charles Edward Quibell
b. 15 July 1900, Highland Township, Marion, Michigan
m. Ethel L. Finch
He was a homesteader, tobaccotier and a guide.
several children

http://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-75649081/ed-quibells-family-tree?
If this doesn't work trying entering it manually to see if the search engine will pick it up.
Some basic info
Alfred Quibel
1864-1913
Bertha May Latimer 1880 -?
children
Gladys, b. d. 1899
Lawrence Van Amber 1899-1964
Charles Edward 1901-1994
Thomas Alfred 1903- ?
Lillian 1907 - ?
Norman A. 1913 - ?
George Albert ?

Alfred Quibell
b. 1864 Highland Twsp, Osceola Co. Michigan
m Oct 2, 1894 Brant Co., Ont
Bertha May Latimer
also says widowed
death 1913, Lindsey
burial - Gooderham Cemtery

Bertha May Pearson
b. 23 Aug 1916
parents Michael Pearson and Bertha May Latimer
d. July 2009, Cambridge, Ont
doesn't have a marriage or children for her

Charles Edward Quibell
b. Jul 15, 1901, Highland Twsp, Michigan
m. Sept 1923
divorced
d. June 8, 1994, Timmons, Ont
Ethel died, 1964
children
John alfred 1920-1983
Mary Mona 1923 - ?
Alfred b. d. 1928
Ethel b. d. 1928
Laura Evelym 1933 - 1973
3 others not named

Lawrence Van Amer Quibell
m. Margaret Lilliam Dawley, she d. Mar 6 1985, Simcoe, Ont.
seven unnamed children

If you can find obituaries for some of the deaths listed you may get closer to finding what happened to the family members you are looking for.

At least there are others searching for information unless these are your posts and tree.

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 June 13 20:51 BST (UK) »
Linda,

The following information from Kirkland Lake Cemetery contact.

Lawrence and Margaret both buried in Section 10 Range 3 Grave 26

Their records indicate that Lawrence's middle name is Van Amber

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline LizzyFaire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Searcher in Vancouver, Canada/Seattle, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 June 14 05:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you ALL very much for this information. I've been away from the subject for a while, but I'm back on the trail again and will pursue all of these avenues. Sorry if I was remiss in my thanks before.

Lizzy
Québec: Mailloux, McCann, Moreau, Hamel, Carignan dit Bourbeau, Fitzgerald
Ontario: Quibell, Lattimer, Levely, Brondi
Scotland: Henderson, Roden, Murray, Gunn, Donaldson
England: Quibell, Jefferson

Offline LizzyFaire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 20 September 18 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hello, OP here.

I have been working on Bertha and Rosana's story for a few years now, and I am a little closer to solving the mysteries. I took a genealogy trip to Ontario and Québec this summer, and this is what I've come up with.

Bertha Mae Levely Lattimer Quibell Pearson Brondi is buried in Mount Hope cemetery in Brantford, ON, or at least somebody called Mary Brondi is. It seems she died in an accident in 1928 in a car driven by Frank. This information was given to me by John Cardiff of Norfolk Genealogy. www.nornet.on.ca/~jcardiff

However, this doesn't clear up the mystery of my father's remembrances of Bertha in Brantford, nor the fact that she shows up in the Voters' Lists up until the 1950s. My father was born five years after Bertha died.

Frank later lived with a woman named Hattie Reid who left her husband to be with him. I think perhaps this woman assumed Bertha's identity, or something to that effect.

I visited the Mount Hope Cemetery and found Bertha's unmarked grave (and Frank and Hattie's very nice headstone) and  I wasn't allowed to leave flowers (no maintenance fees were ever paid, dontcha know), so I deconstructed the roses I brought and sprinkled the petals.

Here ends Bertha's story.

Offline LizzyFaire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 20 September 18 22:47 BST (UK) »
Bertha's death.

Offline LizzyFaire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 20 September 18 23:10 BST (UK) »
Now Rosana.

It took me a while to figure out she was in the convent of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd (Sœurs de Notre-Dame de Charité du Bon-Pasteur). The convent was situated on rue Sherbrooke but was relinquished some time back. I contacted the remaining sisters, and the very kindly gave me the following information.

The day before our archives where moved to a storage facility, with the information you gave us about your great-great-grandmother, I looked up her name and surprisingly I found Rose Ann Lovely in the old registers.
From what I understand she was at the Monastère de Notre-Dame de Charité du Bon-Pasteur (104 Sherbrooke street E) from 1886 to 1896. According to the registers, she entered the convent at 24 years old on January 7th 1886 as a penitient, and passed away on April 25th or 27th, 1896 as a nun.

She is registered as Cécilia : Rose Ann Lovely, and on one of the registers it says, Cécilia des 7 Douleurs, consacrée, that would leed us to think she had decided to become a nun at some point. In an other register, I think I can read in one of the columns, Entrées volontairement 19 nov. 1888. That could mean that she then became a novice and entered the other section of the convent to start her religious studies.

In the death registry it's written, maladie : consomption, which meant in those days, great weakness or tuberculosis, that could explain her death at a young age.

I hope these documents will add information to your family history, even though we might never really know why she ended up in our Monastary at 24 years old. I'm sure that during the nine years she was there, she was well taken care of and I hope that she found, within those walls, some peace of mind and security.

Attached you will find copies of, class registers, death registers and some photos of the monastary in those days. Sorry for the poor quality of the documents, I made quick photocopies before the move to make sure you had the information.

Thank you for caring for a distant relative.

I believe that Rosan arrived in Montréal between 1881 and 1886. The sisters were in charge of the rehabilitation of transgressive women, so she probably got into some trouble with the law. It seems she was reformed, however, and converted and started on a holy life. I guess not many people can claim an (almost) nun as a great-grandmother.

I like to think she is in this photo somewhere. The timeline is right.

Offline Kateelev

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 25 October 18 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi your best bet is to get intouch with my Uncle Larry he does all the levely family genealogy and I could guarantee you he will help you answer all your questions. I myself am a levely.

Offline LizzyFaire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 25 October 18 04:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Kateelev, I've sent you a PM.