Author Topic: Do I need extra computer security with Windows 8?  (Read 6909 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Do I need extra computer security with Windows 8?
« on: Tuesday 28 May 13 22:13 BST (UK) »
According to Which, Windows 8 has its own security which is as good as, or better than, the other available security packages such as ZoneAlarm, Macafee, AVG, Norton etc.  Do most of you agree with this?  I'm thinking if this is so, then perhaps the reason my laptop is slow to open new tabs etc. could be that ZoneAlarm which I have is working against the Windows security.

Any thoughts?

I should have said that I use Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird for e-mails.  According to Which, "It has anti-phishing so when you're browsing the web using Internet Explorer it will spot fraudulent sites and prevent you from visiting them" so will it do the same with Mozilla?

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Do I need extra computer security with Windows 8?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 22:48 BST (UK) »
I just use Microsoft's free one on Win8 (don't ask me about details as my pal deals with that side of things) But it was free, and works brilliantly.

Best wishes,
Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 22:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I've just turned off my ZoneAlarm (which covers 3 PCs and has another 241 days to run ::) )  I uninstalled it from my old PC and then installed it on my new laptop and entered my licence key number. If I don't need it, I'll uninstall it and re-install it on my old PC, just in case I decide to access the internet again.  So far I've just been using it off line to look at old documents etc.

Lizzie

ps.  As Windows 8 security is so good, why do they give you Macafee free for a month?  Just a thought.

Offline missmolly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

My windows 8 came with Norton included, would they have done that if windows 8 security was good enough on it's own

Mo
Harrison,  Lancs
Phillips, Bucks/Chesh
Holgate, Lancs/Chesh
Etchells, Chesh/Lancs
Schneider, India

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 23:41 BST (UK) »
My windows 8 came with Norton included, would they have done that if windows 8 security was good enough on it's own

That's what I wondered, but then I thought that it was perhaps some historical thing that Microsoft give you either Norton, or Macafee for a month's trial with some payback to them if you then pay for the full package.

By the way, do any of you find Windows 8 slow?  When I get an e-mail advising me there is a reply on here, on my old Vista laptop I just used to click on the link and it opened instantly, now it takes a good 20+ seconds by which time I've got fed up of waiting and start clicking on the link again and again - result I get half a dozen windows all opening onto the same topic ::)  The same with Mozilla - if I close the web page, when I come to open it (I have the icon pinned to the taskbar) it doesn't open instantly.  What is the problem? Modified: I should say that I have fibre broadband so everything is supposed to be super fast.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

Mo

Very often computer manufactures bundle trial versions of software. 

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline missmolly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi LizzieW

My old computer was windowsXP and broadband was down the landline, having a laptop with Windows8 (which I hate) and also fibre optic connection now it's a dream  ;D

Mo
Harrison,  Lancs
Phillips, Bucks/Chesh
Holgate, Lancs/Chesh
Etchells, Chesh/Lancs
Schneider, India

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 00:16 BST (UK) »
If I want to download something then it's really quick now, but it's driving me mad that when I click on a link or want to open Mozilla or Thunderbird it takes ages to open them.  I've tried deleting all unwanted files, run several scans etc. but it's just as bad.  Also Firefox keeps "not responding" which seems to be a common problem if you check it out on Google, and my OH has the same problem on Windows 7.  It does eventually come back to life without having to do anything, but still.  So I thought, I know I'll open up IE.  Guess what "not responding".

Whatever is the problem with my new Windows 8 laptop?

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 00:40 BST (UK) »
If your OH is having the same problem, then it's likely to be your Internet Service Provider, or the equipment that you are using to connect to them, or somebody is using your internet connection, or something else  ::).

The other thing to consider is whether you are using wireless internet, and that it is secure. If for example you are using 'WEP' security, then that can very very easily be broken into these days and perhaps somebody else is 'stealing' some of your wonderfully quick fibre broadband. Also, if you were using 'WEP' in the past, you will need to make sure that you are using a completely new wireless password now, because you have to imagine that they know your wireless password.

Trystan

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.