Author Topic: Do I need extra computer security with Windows 8?  (Read 6917 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Do I need extra computer security with Windows 8?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 30 May 13 19:29 BST (UK) »
Roger,

I've just about got used to not having a start button.  For a start, I rarely turn my laptop off now, I just close the lid.  Today though I wanted to search the computer for a document, which wasn't where I thought it was and, of course, I couldn't use the usual start button, then search.  What you have to do with Windows 8 (as you probably know) is hover your mouse over the top RH corner and hope that Search, Share, Start, Devices and Settings appears.  Sometimes it takes me ages to get it to appear, other times it pops up when I don't need it. ::)  Then you have to decide whether what you want to search for is in Apps, Settings or Files. 

If you click on Start, you just get taken to the opening page with all the apps showing, most of which I've unpinned from Start.  I've almost tamed Windows 8, I use Desktop where I have a shortcut for Control Panel which is very useful, and other frequently used things like Word, Legacy etc. I have pinned to the task bar.

Hopefully the new start button for Windows 8 will just be an update and won't mean splashing out more cash.

Lizzie

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 30 May 13 19:31 BST (UK) »
Look at the BBC news page, next month Windows 8.1 to be available as a free update. 8)
 Brian

I did see your post before I sent my post, and added a comment to the effect, that I was pleased it was going to be a free update, but for some reason when I pressed send, I got a message (from Windows) saying the page wasn't available!  I pressed the back arrow and got back to my reply, copied it in case it disappeared again and pressed send - and it went without my extra comment.  Computers are really weird things.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 30 May 13 19:31 BST (UK) »
Lizzie: Just think Internet Explorer 11? :-X
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 30 May 13 19:35 BST (UK) »
Perhaps I'm amongst the minority as I like Windows 8 and it didn't take long to get used to. You can also get to the search, share etc bit by hovering over the bottom RH side of the screen, which I find is easier than hovering at the top.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 30 May 13 19:39 BST (UK) »
Have a look at the BBC news page, windows 8.1, then click onto the statement xxblog.
 Brian

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 30 May 13 19:42 BST (UK) »
Brian - I've read the BBC article and Windows 8 is not bringing back the old version of Start, just an updated version of what I already have, in that the Start screen with all the apps will be visible at the bottom LH corner plus an icon on the task bar.  It also suggested if you left click on the start icon you'll bring up search etc.  I put my mouse over the LH corner and brought up the Start icon, left clicked and brought up a list of options.  I clicked on start - and guess what - I just got the same start as I've already got, as mentioned in my response to Roger.

Internet 11 sounds interesting - now I've tamed Windows 8, I'm sure I'll cope with Windows 8.1 and Internet 11.  Makes a change for me to be ahead of others in my family. ::)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 30 May 13 19:46 BST (UK) »
Good luck with your Windows 8.1, I might get there in another xyears?
 Brian