Author Topic: Do I need extra computer security with Windows 8?  (Read 6910 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Do I need extra computer security with Windows 8?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Trystan

We have a new ISP PlusNet now, Virginmedia before.  We're using a totally new password, so I think everything should be OK.  Most of our neighbours have quick fibre broadband, as BT have said it has had the best % uptake ever in our Parish (apparently we are not a village but a parish in its own right - whatever that might mean ::) ).  I think I might have solved the problem with slow connections now I've turned off ZoneAlarm and am just using Windows defender.  It's so efficient it even told me about Intel this morning - and as that is what is running my laptop, I thought that was a bit odd.

I'll see how I go.  I know lots of people have problems with Firefox not responding, there's loads on Google and lots of supposed ways to correct this.

Lizzie

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 09:55 BST (UK) »
Lizzie,

It's great that you're with Plusnet, I'm a big fan of theirs. Give them a bell, you'll get to speak to a Yorkshireman Yorkshirelasse. They are really very helpful, and it's a freephone number too:  0800 432 0200.

It may well be that the bit that is slow is looking up the addresses of websites (a 'DNS' issue). Plusnet will be able check all that with you.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 12:19 BST (UK) »
Trystan

I don't know what a DNS issue is, but I think just switching off ZoneAlarm has solved the problem, now when I click on the links in e-mails re Rootschat, it goes straight to the topic.  I hadn't actually realised that Windows 8 had its own firewall, etc. until my OH mentioned he read something about it in a Which magazine.

Hopefully, Firefox will stop its "not responding" act too.

Lizzie

By the way, one reason (apart from it being better value) my OH chose PlusNet was because he could speak to people in the UK - even if they were from Yorkshire  ::)  I always thought I was a Lancastrian until I started doing my family tree, then I realised that until my g.grandparents moved to Manchester, all my other ancestors were mainly from Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 12:26 BST (UK) »
Lizzie: When you say your connection is slow, are you refering to download speed or when you first visit a website?
Download speed can be checked here - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html
(You should have a nice shaped graph for each of the tests)
Don't expect to have the same download speed using a wireless connection as when using a wired connection, depending on the spec of your machine wireless can be 10% lower.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 12:32 BST (UK) »
No, not the download speed that is OK, the problem was when I clicked on the icon for Firefox, or Thunderbird instead of them just opening, nothing seemed to be happening for about 20 seconds and then suddenly they'd open.  The same when I clicked on links in e-mails (when I eventually got Thunderbird to open) I didn't get taken straight to the Rootschat topic.  However, since I turned off ZoneAlarm last night and am just using Windows own security, everything is back to normal.

I think the "not responding" problem with Firefox is not just my computer, there are lots of complaints on google about this. 

Lizzie
ps.  I couldn't use the link to check download speed that you gave me, I keep getting a message "The Adobe Flash Plug-in has failed".  I uninstalled Adobe Flash yesterday and re-installed it but it hasn't made any difference.  It's been suggested that I uninstall again and install an earlier version of Adobe Flash.  Any ideas?  Seems I'm solving one problem and then finding another one.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 12:40 BST (UK) »
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 12:56 BST (UK) »
Currently using Firefox ver 21.0, Adobe Flash shows ver 11.7.700.202 using XP Pro 32bit.
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html
(Should show what version installed)
No problems using Firefox and Adobe Flash.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 12:59 BST (UK) »
Firstly, checked the speeds of laptop.
Download is 34.21Mb/s
Upload is 6.14Mb/s
Upload is usually more than that, around 9ish.

Thank you for the link to adobe help.  I'm going to work through their suggestions and, hopefully, it will cure the Adobe problem too.

Many thanks for everyone's help.  If I get any other problems, I'll start a new thread.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 13:16 BST (UK) »
Brian - Of course, Windows 8 doesn't have a Start button  ??? however, I managed to get to C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash by opening C drive and then working my way through it.  Flash properly uninstalled now, so I'm going to re-install and hope everything works well after that.

Lizzie

ps.  I assume I don't need Adobe AIR which I also uninstalled yesterday.