Author Topic: 1841Census Strudwick  (Read 4081 times)

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841Census Strudwick
« on: Wednesday 29 May 13 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hello,

In her will written in 1824 and proved in 1832 Hannah Strudwick Chittey made bequests to:

"my children, John Strudwick of Ripley waggoner, William Strudwick of Great Bookham sawyer" etc.

I'm trying to determine if John and William are the two infants baptized in Rudgwick Sussex:

22 July 1777  William Strudwick.  Mother's Name Hannah Strudwick,  Baseborn
22 July 1777   John Strudwick         "           "        "           "               

So, I'm looking for information from the census re: age, in or out of county birth, and others in the household.

Thanks,

Jann

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 1841Census Strudwick
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 15:16 BST (UK) »
How old was Hannah when she died

She married in 1781

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N28H-MWL
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 15:22 BST (UK) »
In 1841 there is a William Strudwick 65 a Shop Keeper born in the county, living in the borough of Horsham, Sussex,in  Chapel Lane  :-\

Born in the county , no one else by that surname living with him

HO107/ 1073/ 12/ 14/ 4/ 1
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 15:32 BST (UK) »
Also in 1841 a John Strudwick 60 a Labourer living in Horsham, King Street  :-\

Born in the county, with him is a Mary Strudwick 65

Are these of any help  ???

HO107/ 1089/ 1/ 2/ 34/ 14

this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

According to the free index on findmypast there was a burial for a John Strudwick bn c1778 dies buried 1828 at Ripley  :-\  On the same index a Sarah bn c1778 buried 1830 also Ripley.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 16:15 BST (UK) »
I am interested to know Hannahs age when she died to establish that she was old enough to have had children before 1777 - unless they were twins?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 18:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who responded.

Carole:  I'm glad you asked re: Hannah's age.  It caused me to look again at the original of the will  and I discovered that the will was proved on 1 July 1836 - not 1832 as appears on the on-line transcript. Great Bookham burials have Hannah Chittey buried 12 May 1836 age 87.  Therefore dob was @1749-50 and she was in her late 20's in 1777.  I suspect the two boys were not twins, but who knows? 

Rosie99: This John is a real  possibility. In the will Hannah stipulates that if any of her heirs die before  the will is proved their share goes to their descendents. So, she wouldn't have had to re-write the will.

Patrish: I'm inclined to think the two living in Horsham don't fit but Ill keep the information.

My real goal here is to determine whether Strudwick is Hannah's family name or a married name.   The PR for her marriage to Richard Chittey doesn't give her status: widowed or single - at the time of the marriage.

I've not been able to find a likely first marriage for Hannah to a Strudwick in the usual records and if these two baseborn sons are hers than I know that Strudwick was not a married name.

Any thoughts, suggestions or new information much appreciated.

Jann

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 22:05 BST (UK) »
Baseborn means illegitimate 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=baseborn+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Therefore as Hannah is down as baseborn, Strudwick must be her given birth surname.

Or does it indicate that the boys were baseborn  ???

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 May 13 07:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

According to the free index on findmypast there was a burial for a John Strudwick bn c1778 dies buried 1828 at Ripley  :-\  On the same index a Sarah bn c1778 buried 1830 also Ripley.

A possible marriage at Rudgwick from IGI
John Strudwick
Sarah Hoad
12 April 1796
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk