Author Topic: St Andrews Lhanbryde: Oldshields, Strypehead, Redbog  (Read 4312 times)

Offline Steve Sinclair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
St Andrews Lhanbryde: Oldshields, Strypehead, Redbog
« on: Wednesday 29 May 13 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone with local knowledge have any information on any of: Oldshields farm, Strypehead or Redbog in St Andrews, Lhanbryde?

I found some references to them in the link below(they appear a bit above the marker pin in the actual linked map, you may need to reduce the scale a bit too):

http://canmoremapping.rcahms.gov.uk/index.php?action=do_advanced&idnumlink=143218

I have been trying to find out what I can about them with limited success - e.g. are the buildings still standing, derelict etc.

My grandmother is listed on her birth certificate as having been born at Redbog and lived and grew up in Oldshields where my G Grandfather -> GGG Grandfather each lived, worked and raised their families until they died (surname Ross, farmers and blacksmiths).

Also, my grandmother told me she went to school at "Cranloch Academy". I've been unable to find records of a school in the area by that name though I did find "Old Cranloch School" - shown on the map linked above (approx NNE of Oldshields). Does anyone have any information that could help with this?

Thanks very much for any information or suggestions
SINCLAIR: Nairn & Moray, Scotland
ROSS: Moray, Scotland
HENDERSON: Banff, Scotland
MacKENZIE: Moray, Scotland
McINTOSH: Inverness, Scotland
McRae: Banff, Scotland
DOW: Moray, Scotland
LOUGHRAN/LAUGHRAN/LAUGHERAN/LOUGHERAN/McLAUGHLAN: Ireland and Lanarkshire, Scotland
MURPHY: Ireland and Ayrshire, Scotland
McMAIL: Ireland and Ayrshire, Scotland
McCORMICK: Ireland and Ayrshire, Scotland
McGINNIS: Ireland
BRANNAN: Ireland and Ayrshire, Scotland

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Andrews Lhanbryde: Oldshields, Strypehead, Redbog
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 20:03 BST (UK) »
The National Library of Scotland maps website gives you free access to old maps of Scotland including early large-scale Ordnance Survey ones. They are often very helpful.

Another site which is useful for Moray is the Libindx site which allows you to search for individuals in the area.

Offline runmerry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 20:04 BST (UK) »

Offline Steve Sinclair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 June 13 14:28 BST (UK) »
#GR2: thanks for the pointer to the NLS maps website - I hadn't used that before. What a fantastic resource! Interesting to see how the land-use in the area has changed over time. I'll make lots of use of that I think. I agree on the Libindx too, I've made lots of use of that off and on during my research. Thanks for the reply.

#runmerry: Thanks for the link. I had seen some of those photographs before but it was good to see a a much larger set of the surrounding area. A really useful site, thanks for the pointer.
LOUGHRAN/LAUGHRAN/LAUGHERAN/LOUGHERAN/McLAUGHLAN: Ireland and Lanarkshire, Scotland

Offline runmerry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 June 13 19:18 BST (UK) »

You might find http://www.scottish-places.info/ helpful as well.

Regards

Jen

Offline Steve Sinclair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 June 13 15:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much - I was able to quickly find on one of the maps the 3 buildings I mentioned in my original post plus another "Redbog" right next to "Oldshields" so I'm wondering if that's more likely to be the "Redbog" where my grandmother was born...another line of enquiry opens up  :)

Offline Linda Boyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 October 20 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,
I went to school at Cranloch from 1960 to 1963. It was a tiny little primary school of two rooms (certainly not an academy!) and the teacher at the time was  Annie Shand who lived with her sister, Mrs Mackie, next door in the schoolhouse which still stands. Unfortunately, the school is no longer there and new houses have been built where it stood. The link someone gave shows the schoolhouse and Redbog Farm which doesn't seem to have changed much since I remember it. I remember two little girls who lived there (somewhere I have a photograph of the entire school...all 15 of us!) and , if they weren't twins, they were very close in age.
I have a vague memory of my grandfather telling me that the people who lived in Redbog (I can't remember their name) were related to the author, Jessie Kesson who wrote The White Bird Passes which relates her upbringing in Lady's Lane, off the High Street in Elgin in the 1920s. Part of the story tells of visiting her grandparents and aunt and uncles in the country....I think this is to Redbog but not 100% sure. Jessie's mother was ostracised by her father but her mother welcomed her to visit the farm. Jessie was born Jessie Grant McDonald in a workhouse in Inverness and, at age 10, was taken from her mother, a prostitute, and sent to an orphanage in Aberdeenshire.
Have since had a search and Jessie's mother was indeed from Redbog...file is too large to attach but, on Jessie's birth certificate, it states that her mother, Elizabeth McDonald, has domicile as Redbog, Lhanbryde.
Hope this helps

Offline Steve Sinclair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 December 20 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda - thanks very much for taking the time to reply. It's been a while since I posted that enquiry so the new information is much appreciated. I took a trip up to Elgin and the surrounding area in 2019 and visited Oldshields, Redbog, Strypehead, the site of the Cranloch school etc. Had a good look around and got some photographs.I'm still researching my family line and following up on some threads. It's a long slog so the information you provided will be useful.

Thanks again and take care

Offline Altfamhistory

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 November 23 05:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve, my ancestors (3x great grandfather, 2x great grandfather and great grandmother as a child/teen/young lady) all lived at Strypehead farm, in Strypehead cottage, for many, many decades.
I would be interested in chatting a bit to see if I have any helpful info for you or if you have any helpful info for me. It's wonderful to hear that you visited Oldshields, Strypehead and Redbog in 2019. I have been trying to find information on Strypehead cottage and whether it still existed, but so far it had proven quite difficult to ascertain until I came across your post here.
If you are interested in chatting about that, let me know and we can exchange emails.