Author Topic: Keoghoe and Brouard - Guernsey  (Read 2833 times)

Offline MickB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Keoghoe and Brouard - Guernsey
« on: Thursday 30 May 13 14:30 BST (UK) »
William Keoghoe was apparently born on Guernsey about 1816 and married a Maria Brouard on 30th July 1835. They apparently then left Guernsey and came to a poor part of East London - Bethnal Green, immediately on their marriage. Leaving aside why on earth they would want to do this, is there anything above that is verifiable?

The above information comes from an online family history but without verification or refs to records. However...

A William and Maria have been found in the 1841 census living in Bethnal Green with 3 children. They can be followed in 1851 census but the image is practically invisible but you can make out what looks like the Head of household as being born in Guernsey and Maria born is dittoed. You can also see the ages of the children and they correspond. The occupation of the Head is cabinet maker which seems to be everywhere in the Keoghoe family. So we think this is the right family and continuity has been established.

Maria is in the 1861 census but now widowed which fits with William dying in 1857. William is my great great great grandfather. How did a lad with such a strong Irish name come to be born in Guernsey? Can anyone find out whether there is any truth in the first paragraph and is it backed up with records? Thanking you in anticipation   :)

Edit: Just checked 1857 death - not him - age at death 0

mick

Offline Kucinta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Keoghoe and Brouard - Guernsey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 May 13 15:28 BST (UK) »
Mick, age '0' is almost certainly a default on the record you have.

Age at death not included in the GRO index until sometime in the 1860s, so that William could have been any age at all, and is almost certainly your relative, given that Maria is a widow by 1861.

if you look at the same record on FreeBMd you'll see that no age is given.

Offline MickB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 May 13 16:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kucinta. We live and learn eh? Specially when I got so much to learn about this jenny allergy thing!!

Offline richipoo01

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 November 13 21:41 GMT (UK) »
As a descendant of William and Maria, I am eager to know whether a mysterious William Keoghoe was the father of the William who married Maria Brouard. There seems to be a William floating arount the ethers (Not literally) who was an assistant surgeon in the 35th Regiment of Foot (the Sussex Men). Could this be the father? Furthermore, although this regiment was named after a Southern County, the regiment has its history rooted in Ireland. Additionally, floating around the ethers, are many of the Keoghoe family, some who made good, some who got imprisoned or deported for crimes and some who emigrated to America, who are associated with the FitzWilliams in County Wicklow in Ireland. Interesingly, the spelling has not changed, as so many names do and it is an odd spelling. Not keogh or Keough. Can anybody help me to make the link?
Richard WILLIAM Keoghoe

Offline Kucinta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 November 13 02:06 GMT (UK) »
The records show that William Keoghoe, son of William, married Maria Brouard daur of John Zacharia Brouard on 30th July 1835 at the town church, St Peter's Port. I have seen a copy of the register entry.

Maria was the daughter of John-Zacharie Brouard and his wife Marguerite Mouilpied, born 28th August 1815, and baptised the 13th September following, at the town church, St Peter's Port.

Maria's brother John Brouard also came to London at some point; Maria Keoghoe was a witness at his marriage to Sabina Claridge on 27th Feb 1837 at Camberwell St George. John was a brazier and tin worker in the 1851 census, and a tinman in 1861.

We were unable to positively identify William Keoghoe senior with any soldier of that name. either the William Keoghoe assistant surgeon, on the Waterloo Medal Roll, or the William Keogh born c1788 Toughmaconnel Roscommon, who served in the 72nd Foot.

Offline Proinsias

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 November 13 14:59 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm William Keoghoe of the 35th Foot was buried in the Church of Ireland graveyard in Wicklow Town, aged 40, on the 1st or 8th of October 1827 - difficult to read the entry re 1 or 8.
I believe he was the son Dudley Keoghoe of Ballinclare (townland a few miles SW of Wicklow) although I have no evidence as yet to support my hunch.

Possibly connected to the above - "Dudley Keogh born Jan. 1804, Kevin Street, Dublin, to William and Catherine".

The surname has various spellings in both the Protestant and Catholic records relating to Wicklow Town and surrounding area. My own line presently use Kehoe and Keogh in about equal measure. I have a probable collateral line where the children are variously recorded as Kehoe, Keogh, Keogoh, Keogho and Keohoe, all of the same family recorded between 1817 and 1836.

I notice on the 27 May 1817 William Keoghoe was granted 6 months leave of absence on 'private affairs' from his regiment in Malta, see  http://www.maltaramc.com/regsurg/k/keoghoew.html

Regards,
Frank Kehoe