Author Topic: BOSWELL, Mary Ellen - which one?!  (Read 18795 times)

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kit No: B303763
    • View Profile
Re: BOSWELL, Mary Ellen - which one?!
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 31 October 21 09:21 GMT (UK) »
I'll have to ask family members to find out if Mr & Mrs Lyon were strict Wesleyans - I'm not sure if they will know.

Lily's adopted sister Doris (my Gran) was distantly related to her adoptive mother, Mary Jane Poole, so I've often wondered if Lily was too. 

I'm attaching a photo of Lily.

McLeod, McKean, Hepburn (Fife)
McGowan, Gowan (Dumfriesshire, Ireland)
Nelson, McKean (Lanarkshire)
McKean, Mulgrew (Lethbridge, Alberta)
Boswell, Plumb, Lyon, Stokes, Pemberton, Crawford, Threadgold (Cheshire)
Tierney (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 31 October 21 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant do save it for facial recognition experts there is at least one on rootschat

Btw my time travel team took a look at your story and want to return to start looks like Mary Ellen 1. Was ruled out because she gave birth far from home ...that is a reason to rule her in ...

Even the 50's girls were sent away before pregnancy showed to "distant relatives "

The letter talks about what a lovely place she is working at and there is a clue to the army billetting nearby

I live in a gamekeepers cottage .my mum wrote a history of the hall.this kind of household took their chefs and maids and butlers with them if they move county .so the lord in first post worth exploring there may well be records if the staff at each residence. My mum found diary of the lady of the Hall in local records office i think and interviewed the chauffeurs grandchild and elders of the village .
"Halls Houses + Hovels " if you're interested.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 31 October 21 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Mary Ellen #3 is on the 1891 census as follows:-

17/2 Finch Place, Liverpool

Sarah Boswell head aged 72
Mary E Boswell (listed as daughter, should be g/daughter I think) 16 (should be 10 I think)

On the same road at 17/4 Finch Place are the following Boswells:-

John Boswell head aged 37 occ. Publisher
Mary A Boswell wife aged 37
Louisa Boswell daughter aged 8
Elizabeth Boswell daughter aged 2
Clara P Boswell daughter aged 0

I'm confused as to why was Mary E was living with what we presume to be the grandmother & 3 boarders up the road?

On the 1881 census I've got a John Boswell aged 27 dock labourer living in Birkenheadwith his mother Catherine Boswell widow aged 53 b.Ireland.

I am unable to find Mary A and the rest of the family on the 1881.

I've found a Sarah Boswell (grandmother?) on the 1881 living at Blandford Street, Liverpool as follows:-

Henry Boswell head occ. Cutler aged 67 b.York
Sarah Boswell wife aged 60 b.Liverpool
William Boswell grandson aged 5 Scholar b.Liverpool
Sarah A Boswell granddaughter aged 3 b.Liverpool

I've taken most of the latest posting from Find My Past, as there is an error on Ancestry with the 1891 Census (there are several schedules missing).  I will inform them of this asap. (It's on the Finch Place schedules).

I believe this Mary Ellen married George Henry Ball in 1900 in Liverpool.  George Henry Ball (reg as Bell) died aged 25 in 1905 in Liverpool.  Mary Ellen (Ball), widow aged 24 married John Webley, bachelor, aged 30 on 28 October 1906.

On 1911 Census Mary Ellen (Webley) is living at 23 Recreation St, West Derby with her husband John, married for 4 years.  They have 2 kids - Thomas William, aged 4 and John aged 2 years.

In summary, would you say it's unlikely that she is the Mary Ellen Boswell we are looking for, bearing in mind she was married to George Ball at the time of Lilian's birth in 1904?  I would say it's not impossible. ???

I've been looking again at George Henry Ball's death, and I  believe I got it wrong.  I looked at the burial record in 1905 for George Henry BELL, and it's definitely BELL not BALL on the image.  Added to the fact that the guy is too young, and a clerk, I've now decided that George (Henry) Ball died in West Derby district in September quarter 1904.  I think the burial was in Coppull on 13th September, with his abode being Grove Lane, Standish.

Given all that, George was still alive in August 1903 when presumably Lily was conceived, and in April 1904 when Mary Ellen gave birth.  We also know that the letter was written when Lily was 2 months old - which would mean June - so George would have still been alive.

I did wonder if they were estranged - there was an 8 year age gap, and she was only 18/19 when they married.

Anyway, just thought I would share my latest findings.

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 01 November 21 14:51 GMT (UK) »
I've started a new topic in the handwriting section to compare the writing in the letter with the signature on the marriage certificate:-

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=854884.0

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 01 November 21 19:58 GMT (UK) »
According to several Rootschatter over in the handwriting section, Mary Ellen #3 did not write the letter so, unless she got someone else to write it, I'm eliminating her from the list of 'candidates'.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 02 November 21 08:54 GMT (UK) »
never eliminate . put further down list of likelihood

lot of illiteracy around and often letters were dictated so it could have been a relative who was the best writer in family ..

my sister writes things for me when my eyes are bad

mum tells the story of her  relative by adoption teaching husband to read with passages from bible i think in 1940.s ...

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson