Author Topic: Charles Jones  (Read 15957 times)

Offline dpaton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Jones
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 01 June 13 09:20 BST (UK) »
If the Charles Jones who married Margaret Tallentire in 1846 was 25 then he can't be the same Charles Jones who was at the Boys Orphan School as he would be 36 at the time of his marriage not 25.  The Charles R Jones who married in 1846 must have been born around 1821, but to who?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 01 June 13 09:54 BST (UK) »
May I please ask where we find that Charles was aged 25 when he married in 1846

If the Charles Jones who married Margaret Tallentire in 1846 was 25 then he can't be the same Charles Jones who was at the Boys Orphan School as he would be 36 at the time of his marriage not 25.  The Charles R Jones who married in 1846 must have been born around 1821, but to who?

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 01 June 13 09:58 BST (UK) »
I wonder whether the OP (dpaton) has thought the random sample document you described, MJ was in fact that of the target couple?

Sue

Adding.
Anyhow, we can hope that the information we have found to date has been of help and interest.
in the search ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 01 June 13 10:27 BST (UK) »
Agh, good point there Sue,

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTCR-BY2
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTZV-BXW

I have had a quick look at a scanned copy of a document about 4 ft long and about 8 inches high.   It is the bride’s certificate issued.   (C of E Marriage in the Hawkesbury district, dated 1840s)  …. The occupation is NOT noted for either.   Bride was a spinster, “of this parish” and Groom was a Bachelor “of Redfern”.   The age of the groom is noted as 25 and is immediately to the left of his signature.  The age of the bride is noted as 23 and it too is to the left of her signature.     

May I please apologise to our OP,  I often fail to explain myself fully, and I should have been clearer with my words.  I am sorry.    My example that I cited was from my OWN family tree.  I am fortunate in as much as I have quite a collection of NSW certificates.   When a couple married in NSW according to C of E rites, the clergy hand the BRIDE a certificate.  So, the cert I looked for was for the marriage of two of my ancestors who were married in 1845 in Sydney.  On "my" cert the groom was aged 25 and the bride was aged 23.    That couple are NOT Charles and Margaret JONES.   But, the mc is for a C of E marriage within the same era as Charles and Margaret JONES marriage.

I hope I have made it clearer now  :)  :) .

Here's what is concerning me at the moment ....

Something’s NOT adding up ….. of course it could be ME who cannot add up, but ….. a quick check of the two usually reliable indexes (trying to figure out where there’s any record for a Charles JONES, born in Sydney circa 1821:

Col Sec papers 1788-1825 index
22 Sept 1818, Joseph BOOTH, per Isabella, to Parramatta for distribution
1 Jan 1819, Mary JONES, seamstress of Macquarie St, Parramatta, and mother of John and Charles JONES, admits the boys to the Male Orphan School
May 1821, Joseph BOOTH sought permission to marry at Parramatta
22 Nov 1822 Mary DAY’s petition to have her two boys removed from Male Orphan Institution REJECTED
18 Dec 1822 a George Shepherd tried for stealing from Joseph BOOTH (of Parramatta).

NSW SRO main index 
1 Jan 1819, age NOT indexed John JONES, mother : Mary JONESadmitted to Male Orphan School
1  Jan 1819, aged 9 years Charles JONES, admitted to Male Orphan School
1 Jan 1819 aged 11 years, John JONES, no details indexed for who admitted him, to Male Orphan School
1 Jan 1819, aged 11 years John JONES, mother: Mary JONES, admitted to Male Orphan School
1 Jan 1819, aged 9 years Charles JONES, mother: Mary JONES, admitted to Male Orphan School
1 Jan 1819, age NOT indexed Charles JONES, mother : Mary JONES, admitted to Male Orphan School
NO date, perhaps a guess 1820  John JONES, aged 12 years, apprenticed as servant to K ROBERTSON, so discharged from Male Orphan School (remember though that Mary Day petitioned to have her TWO boys back and petition rejected Nov 1822)
13 Dec 1826, aged 16 years, Charles JONES, mother: Mary DAY, seeking release of son to her own custody
20 June 1828, age NOT indexed Charles JONES, Joseph BOOTH seeking to apprentice Charles.

So, to me, the question is HOW MANY lads in Sydney Town in the 1820s were named Charles JONES ....

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline dpaton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 01 June 13 10:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for clearing that up, sorry I thought you were giving the ages of Charles and Margaret.  In this case then the Charles Jones from the orphan school could be the same Charles Jones who marries Margaret and has Annie. Charles Jones is my 4th Great Grandfather so I am very curious to find out anything about him and his family especially any information anyone has on his daughter Annie who married Hiram Emery Pierce who I think was a mariner from America and appears to have come out here during the American Civil war which makes me wonder why? Cheers DPaton

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 01 June 13 10:41 BST (UK) »

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 01 June 13 10:47 BST (UK) »
May I please ask what documents (bdm) do you currently hold re Charles or Margaret OR for Annie?

May I gently suggest that immigration to any of the Antipodean colonies from 1850 for several decades was often prompted by excessive GOLD FEVER issues....  ;D ....  They came from all four corners of the globe .....

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 01 June 13 11:09 BST (UK) »
Looks like the OP's online information:

http://www.mundia.com/au/Person/23598465/12480414950

http://trees.ancestry.com.au/tree/23598465/person/12480414950

Thanks Merlin,   ;D  ;D

I see that tree from Ancestry has  likely mis-read their cited source (the NSW State Records Office, as archives holder of the Male Orphan Institution's Admissions book for 1817-1833) .

I see Charles JONES was admitted 1 Jan 1819 and discharged (QUIT the Orphan School) July 19, 1828.   I see that at the time of Charles ADMITTANCE, his mum was Mary JONES, a seamstress of Parramatta.

I see that Charles JONES was aged 9 when admitted 1 Jan 1819 .... so likely born 1809

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 01 June 13 11:26 BST (UK) »
As our OP is new to RChat (a belated welcome from me)  I am posting a couple of links to help our OP.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,369703.0.html  This is to the NSW RChat Resources Board, there's so many links there that are free to search, frequently you don't even need to register to search those links

And the other grand link is this one : http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,368728.0.html

Cheers,  JM