Author Topic: Charles Jones  (Read 15983 times)

Offline dpaton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Jones
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 01 June 13 15:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the information.  The only facts I know for sure are that Annie and Hiram pierce are definitely my gggrandparents and that Annies mother was Margaret Tallentire/Jones/Lowe and she married a Charles R Jones in 1846 but have no solid leads as to who Charles R Jones.  Seam to  have hit a brick wall.  There seem to be a few Charles Jones who could be candidates but do not yet have enough information to definitely nominate the correct one.  Thank you all for your input and help.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 01 June 13 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi DPaton.

Welcome to Rootschat from me as well ;D

Only too happy to help, finding people with a surname such as Jones is the old needle in a Haystack.
As JM asked earlier do you have any certificates on any of the people you are searching? Sometimes the smallest piece of information can help.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline dpaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 01 June 13 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil, Thanks for your welcome.

No, I haven't got any certificates yet I guess I will eventually have to order some but at present can't afford to do this, am trying to put the pieces together the hard way.

cheers DPaton

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 01 June 13 16:23 BST (UK) »
May I suggest you try a post on the US Board re Hiram Pierce they may be able to shed some light on Him.

In the meantime it looks like trolling the newspapers for mentions of your couple. Maybe not a dead end. ::)
Cheers
Neil

Offline dpaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 01 June 13 16:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM for the welcome and the suggested web  sites.

As suggested by Neil I have posted Hiram Pierce on the American chat board.

Cheers DPaton

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 02 June 13 01:29 BST (UK) »
No, I haven't got any certificates yet I guess I will eventually have to order some but at present can't afford to do this, am trying to put the pieces together the hard way.

Hi there,

I am very NSW centric. May I please assure you that it will be nigh impossible the hard way with Jones as the surname.   I have JONES, SMITH, BROWN, TURNER, in my NSW tree and YOU NEED BDM information that is NOT on the indexes.   

May I please assure you that it would be sensible to save up some pennies and order official transcriptions of several NSW BDM certificates.    These official transcriptions are cheaper, and come as email attachments.   They contain all the same info as on the ‘real deal’ certificates, AND they have already had the long hand writing from the 19thC TRANSCRIBED by official transcribers. 
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToTraceYouFamTree.htm#TranscriptionAgent  (And on the list at RChat’s NSW Resources)

I think if this were my family I would start with the NSW marriage cert from 1866 for Annie E JONES.  The official transcription should give you ALL the details that NSW BDM holds.   I suspect there will be BLANKS on that document (details of the parents of the bride and the groom may well have NOT been noted by NSW BDM).  The NSW BDM ref is #239.  http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingOrder.cgi/search?event=marriages

Once you have that official transcription, then may I suggest you follow the NSW BDM suggestion on their own website re those elusive blanks.
“……it can be worthwhile for genealogists to contact the relevant church to find details missing from a marriage certificate or in the case of a birth, a baptism record where there is no corresponding civil registration.” http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/historyofRegistrysRec.htm

Here’s an RChat thread I did up to help other RChatters overcome those blanks.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

So for less than $Au20 you could clearly establish the names of the parents for your Annie E Jones, and Annie’s Dad’s occupation ….. and that information would be given to the clergy directly by Annie’s voice herself on her 1866 marriage.

Cheers  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 02 June 13 03:00 BST (UK) »
Margaret LOWE burial at Rookwood cemetery:

LOWE Margaret 87yrs
Date of Interment: 21 Aug 1913
Denomination: Methodist
Section: 3B
Grave Number: 0001211

Also in the same grave:

TALLENTIRE George 0yrs
Date of Interment: 15 May 1901
Denomination: Methodist
Section: 3B
Grave Number: 0001211

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 02 June 13 03:09 BST (UK) »
Hmm. ::) They like to make things difficult. :P

In New Zealand. Ref # 1866/6589 Margaret Janes Married Thomas  Lowe.

Neil ;) 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 02 June 13 03:19 BST (UK) »
Also in the same grave:

TALLENTIRE George 0yrs

I recall that if the lass doing the indexing could NOT find age recorded on their records that she put a dash there.  I also recall that the dash then converted itself to the number "0".... when converting to a database.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.