Author Topic: Stobo Surname Origin - Limited Information  (Read 9014 times)

Offline Janet.h.2013

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stobo Surname Origin - Limited Information
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 February 18 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Scottish New Zealander

It's been a long time since anyone has put in a query on this name.  At that time I said I would ask my cousin if I could relay my information to you but she sadly died several years ago.  Since then I haven't been into my tree.  I do remember looking at a picture of a tobacconist in Glasgow but I can't remember the name of the Stobo.  There are 'millions' of them and it will take me a while to look.  Do you have access to Ancestry as most of my information is on that tree.

If you're still researching Stobo, let me know and I'll see what I can do.  Janet

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Stobo Surname Origin - Limited Information
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Just wanted to add to this thread, despite its age!

I have recently got my Stobo/Stobbie line certainly back to my 7th Great Grandfather John Stobo (1679, Cockburnspath, Berwickshire), with his father likely to be James Stobo who married his first wife in Cockburnspath in 1666.  James's father is likely to be Archibald Stobo (c.1620).

If anyone has any connection, it would be great to hear from you and share information on the Stobo family.
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)