Author Topic: Can Rootschat members help? - Lost Teddy Bear 'Seeks' Owner  (Read 121633 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can Rootschat members help? - Lost Teddy Bear 'Seeks' Owner
« Reply #594 on: Friday 31 January 14 02:21 GMT (UK) »
No, I'm not hinting at anything that we're doing. The human interest side of it is partly a reflection on how little coverage there was in the papers today, despite the press release.

Without the wider human interest bit of it, the hunt and capturing the hearts of so many on here, the WW1 soldier that fell in Bhagdad in the centenary commemoration, it's not the big story that it could be.

What I was alluding to was for a journalist to pick up on it.

Trystan

I thought you may have had some knowledge of a different angle to the story being published which included the rootschat search ...

Yes, you have hit the nail on the head - they have not taken full advantage of the story through what they have omitted.

Is there any way to amend/correct/add some facts? I don't have facebook, but maybe there is a way to enhance the story via fb or some other social media, or letters to editors, etc?  :-\

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: Friday 31 January 14 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Just to put the record straight we (Rootschat) did get mentioned by name in this BBC article
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-25413436

This has more background on the Baker family

http://www.travelandtourworld.com/news/article/mystery-bristol-airport-teddy-bear-solved/

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: Friday 31 January 14 05:39 GMT (UK) »
I think it was kind of Robert Glyn Baker's ex wife to send him a cutting, which solved the mystery.

The fact she sent a cutting suggests to me (IMHO) that Mr Baker does not have a computer,  otherwise why didn't she just send an e-mail?

As for RC not being mentioned in any of the articles I rather think that's down to the writers of the articles - or maybe the original article that was picked up by the rest. If they aren't a RCer or have  read any of these  pages then they would not have any reason to mention all the hard work everyone put in.

Who knows maybe one day some budding author will write a book on Ted's lost years and put in it how thousands of strangers from all over the world who go by the name RootsChatters help to find his Master.  ;D

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: Friday 31 January 14 06:16 GMT (UK) »
My thoughts exactly Jean  :)  I think Mr. Baker is leading a quiet retirement in Cyprus!
It would indeed make a great story line for a novel  :)
I also noticed a wonderful painting someone had done inspired by Ted's demise.  One newspaper had used it but gave NO credit to the artist  :(

Jane

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: Friday 31 January 14 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Just to put the record straight we (Rootschat) did get mentioned by name in this BBC article
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-25413436

Excellent, thank you for posting that link Jane - it's a very good article, and nice to see Rootschat mentioned (when I was led to believe that it had not been).  :)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: Friday 31 January 14 11:06 GMT (UK) »
That's the article before Christmas.

RootsChat were mentioned in that older BBC article (18th December 2013) becasue I spoke to the journalist who wrote the article at the time, and asked for it to be ammended and put in. They were also contacted by Bristol Airport, after I contacted them. It had originally been posted without mentioning the leg work of RootsChatters, but they were very good to ammend it at the time.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #600 on: Friday 31 January 14 16:10 GMT (UK) »
It would make a great magazine story of human interest of how a dedicated team of researchers took this lost bear to it's heart and through sheer determination and hours of research...identified it's family. If published then that would  be a bit of well deserved publicity for Rootschat and any money received could be donated to The British Legion in honour of Nicholas James Baker who sacrificed his life for his country.
Story inspired by Bisto...the lost bear by  Rootschat's answer to "The Bletchy Circle"  ;D ;D ;D

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: Friday 31 January 14 16:29 GMT (UK) »
I wholeheartedly agree with you Carol. :) That would be a very very happy ending.

Couldn't someone contact one of the Family History magazines.....I'm sure they would be interested and it's just the place to have an article  featuring Rootschat.

I expect Mr Baker, who is entirely unaware of this thread, would be interested to hear all that has gone on. It seems a shame that he beliefs the answer was as simple as a photo in a Mag for over 50s
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: Friday 31 January 14 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Beat me to it HL, I had the same thought..family history magazine etc....  I'm throwing the gauntlet down  ;D who's going to do it?  Anyone with article writing experience out there on Rootschat?  It would be great to have a picture of Robert Baker with the bear in Cyprus!  I wonder how he's (the bear) going to get there, surface mail?  DHL? recorded delivery?  His own seat on a flight :D?  After all he is a VIP  ::)

Jane