Author Topic: HENDERSON Enniskillen, Fermanagh  (Read 34362 times)

Offline dhontario

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HENDERSON Enniskillen, Fermanagh
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sue,

Looks like we may hijack this thread for a bit. 

At least you have some records.  The best I have is a reference in my grandfather's old files to a book that once belonged to my gg grandfather William.  It had his name, the date 1836 and Cash Hill.  I believe I located his baptismal record online from old parish records for Inishmacsaint parish church (CoI).  In those records, there appers to have been a whole family of Hendersons occupying Cashel townland.  I'm assuming your Anne may somehow be related if she was amongst the group at Cashel?

The Methodist connection is curious.  As I posted earlier, William emigrated to Canada with his 2 younger brothers John and Mathew in about 1848.  William was married to Mary Jane Knox and they had a daughter Sarah Jane.  Mary didn't make the voyage over and died enroute.  William was Methodist.  His brothers John and Mathew however remained Anglican until they died.  I'm assuming (again) that William either converted or married into methodism.  Your reference to methodism in your notes is curious?  Cashel is a very small townland with what appears to have been only a small settlement for the family.  It seems odd to me that the family unit would have been divided, Methodist and Church of Ireland.  But what do I know...?

~ Dave

Offline FINGREAGH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 23:05 GMT (UK) »
I was of the opinion that Cash hill was part of Drumbulcan townland.  It is right on the border of county Tyrone and many Hendersons lived on both sides of this border

Offline FINGREAGH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Killymendon and  also Cabragh (a large townland) on the Tyrone/ Fermanagh border had many Hendersons.  In fact one early map I have seen specifically marked part of a townland as "Henderson"  I have been exploring and have visited the site but without much success.  John Boles

Offline Soopy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 16 December 10 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi John!!!!!
   Glad to see you! Not to change subject but did you get my email about Montgomery? LOL Just wondering!

Yes ...I believe you (John) and someone else did tell me Cash Hill was a part of Drumbulcan.

Dave...in ref to what you asked.....From reading some of these books from the 1800s....in ref to Methodsism...it was a time , esp during Ann's time when ministers and preachers roamed N Ireland, and other parts preaching. As I said ...in the book it says that "the younger children" (HENDERSON) were locked in rooms etc. I assume there were also older children too who perhaps did not convert. Many times these families had MANY children. Also I believe it was the same book or could've been another ..it said that eventually the HENDERSON parents also converted.

My Anne married James Copeland of Lisbellaw. He had also converted to Methodism and from books was I believe a close friend of John Welsley who started Methodism. James is mentioned in John Welsley's diary. In a book Ann is also mentioned as being very religious. I do not think it was uncommon for families to be of different beliefs, esp during a time when "this" religion was starting.

My Anne was born in 1754....so as far as your William being a brother to her...I doubt it...BUT it is very possible they were cousins..or William could've been her nephew! hmmmm? What do you think John????

Its VERY interesting to say the least.

Dave...have you ever read books on google book search? There are lots of books written by a few good writers in ref to Methodism in co Fermanagh and co Tyrone. They might be worth your looking into them. If I remember correctly there was also a George HENDERSON mentioned that I wanted to look into further.

Well we should keep in touch.....esp since your HENDERSON seems to be from the same area mine were!

Sue in NY
Armstrong- Innishmore,Co Fermanagh;Omagh Co Tyrone; Dumfrieshire,
 Scotland; New York, US.
Jardine- Dumfrieshire,Scotland.
Buchanan- Omagh Co Tyrone; NY US.
Copeland- Lisbellaw &Enniskillen,Co Fermanagh;Co Monaghan; NY,US: Melborne, Austr.
Henderson- Lisbellaw, Kesh Hill, Co Fermanagh; Co Monaghan.
Montgomery- Innishmore, Co Fermanagh.
Edmonds-England; NY US.
Newland-England; NY US.
Kingsley- Troy & NYC, NY.
Moroney/Maroney-Galway,Ire;NY,US
Russell-Foxfort,Tipperary,Ire ;NY,US
Darcy-I

Offline dhontario

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 December 10 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Sue and John,

To be honest, I'm a newbe to all this.  My grandfather and father attempted to dig up our family history in Ireland and were unsuccessful - partly because they weren't open minded enough to examine other possibilities or denominations.  My gg grandfather was a staunch Wesleyan Methodist and was a big supporter of his local congregation in Cobourg, Ontario.  His two younger brothers (as I said) remained Anglican.  They all lived in Cobourg together in the 1850's but then the 2 brothers moved on to Toronto and family lore says they never spoke again.  Again, lots of speculation, but I suspect the separation was due in part to their differing religious beliefs.  But this message board is hardly the place to get into a discussion on this sort of thing!

From the Parish Church records I found online, it appears William was the first child of Mathew Henderson and Sarah Seales (Scales?) as the records also had their wedding listed only a year or two before his birth/baptism.  Anne and William were definately not siblings, but she *might* have been a cousin or aunt.  Who knows?  I seem to be at a dead end for now as I believe I've turned over every rock the internet has to offer me.  One day I would like to travel to Ireland to do some more digging, but I have a young family and travel isn't in the cards in the immediate future!

I would like to stay in touch though (with anyone who has a connection to the Hendersons from this little corner of Ireland).  Collectively, perhaps we can shed some more light on our history?

One of the biggest mysteries I would like to solve is why did William and his 2 brothers Mathew and John leave Ireland?  He and Mathew were carpenters and John a cooper.  They were all in their late 20's early 30's when they left.  Either the famine was affecting their lives, the economy was so bad they couldn't find work or perhaps there was some other tragedy that made them go?  They left in 1848, the year after the tragic 1847 transatlantic crossings.  You'd think that would be enough to scare anyone away from leaving so soon afterwards?  I've attempted to locate them in the one or two business directories available online from the 1830's and 40's but they don't show up anywhere.  I can only assume that means they weren't very successful?

~ Dave

Offline Soopy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 16 December 10 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave

First...just as info....let me say....

I was raised Catholic...and until I started researching I NEVER exactly knew. Seems in my research my ancestors- Hendersons/ Armstrong? Montgomery/ Copeland all or most converted to Methodism, since they were involved in either being ministers or having them in their homes in the very early years. See...my gg grandfather....whose family (g grandmother) had immigrated here in 1848 was studying to be a Methodist minister when he met a beautiful Irish Catholic girl and fell in love! Yes they married much to his family's upset...but these were my Grandparents and though my grandfather never left his religion, my grandmother a devout Catholic involved in MANY charities...we were raised Catholic. So my suprise was that most if not all cousins were Methidist! (Religion is NOT a basis I go by....wont go into that here)

As far as leaving N Ireland. You truly need to read the books I taked about...BUT here are some ideas. There was much turmoil in N Ireland in ref to REligion...and more so then "religion" it was political...so many may have left because of that. Remember HENDERSON was most likely a Scottish clan that went to N Ireland after King James Kicked out the Irish and there were many BAD feelings about that. Then you bring in religious freedom. Also the fact...oldest sons inherited fathers estates...younger sons (and many times were talking about LARGE families) had nothing..so they left to make a way for themselves.

I had a relative...Alexander Armstrong...whose brother and sister had already left for America, but who had a son with Asthma and was "told" by the doctor..."Go to America" because it would be better for the son! Now...who would've thought of THAT? But see....It could be ANY reason. No work.....new prospects...health...
If anything...you have to understand that "our" ancestors were much more willing to take a chance then we are!

I hope this info helps a little. I guess my trying to "understand" them...has helped me in my search. Again...try reading those books. It helps!

TC...and always here to lend an idea!

Sue in NY
Armstrong- Innishmore,Co Fermanagh;Omagh Co Tyrone; Dumfrieshire,
 Scotland; New York, US.
Jardine- Dumfrieshire,Scotland.
Buchanan- Omagh Co Tyrone; NY US.
Copeland- Lisbellaw &Enniskillen,Co Fermanagh;Co Monaghan; NY,US: Melborne, Austr.
Henderson- Lisbellaw, Kesh Hill, Co Fermanagh; Co Monaghan.
Montgomery- Innishmore, Co Fermanagh.
Edmonds-England; NY US.
Newland-England; NY US.
Kingsley- Troy & NYC, NY.
Moroney/Maroney-Galway,Ire;NY,US
Russell-Foxfort,Tipperary,Ire ;NY,US
Darcy-I

Offline mlhenderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 17:30 BST (UK) »
I found these post and was very excited, so I copied my post from another site and pasted it here in hope that some one here can help me. My GGG Grandfather was James Henderson, they where Wesleyan Methodist and it has been passed down VERY STRONGLY that we where members of the Gunn Clan of Scotland.  I have not had any luck finding anything outside of Canada and the US. But then again I'm not a pro at this. Just really interested in my family. And no I have no clue on the townsland.
Any help ????

I am looking for my ancestors:
James Henderson b.abt 1802 Fermanagh d.24 Oct 1874 Ashfield, Huron, Ontario
Married:
Jane Herrington b.1807 Fermanagh d.1877 Ashfield, Huron, Ontario
Children:
Francis b.27 Feb 1835 Fermanagh d. 4 Apr 1899 Fargo, ND
Married Sarah McKnight 1862 Goderich, Ontario
Lived in Minnesota
Margaret b.21 Sep 1837 Fermanagh d.15 Mar 1917 Bruce, Ontario
Married William Ritchie Huron Co, Ontario
Lived in Canada
Charles b.1843 Fermanagh d. 1888 Ontario
Married Catherine Pearson 1881 Gray, Huron Co, Ontario
Lived in Canada
Elizabeth b.1844 Fermanagh d. Unknown
Married Peter Schenck 25 Oct 1866 Huron Co, Ontario
Lived in Wisconsin
Wesley b.20 Dec 1850 Huron Co, d.1935 Kinloss, Bruce Co. Ontario
Married Sarah Jane Irvin 22 Apr 1877 Bruce Co, Ontario
Lived in Canada
Would like to find James folks & Jane's. Jane's maiden name was gotten from Wesley death cert. under mothers maiden name. (Herrington or Harrington)

Mike

Moderator's Note: if you can help with information or suggestions please respond on Mike's separate thread-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,527852.msg3825190.html

Offline dhontario

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the thread!  I'm not sure what to tell you about James?  It would be really helpful to know what townland he was from just to isolate which group he belonged to.  I only know of my GG grandfather William having 2 brothers.  There is nothing else in our records to show that he had any other siblings.  But I do know that there were other Hendersons (cousins?) living on the same townland of Cashel.  Unfortunately, Fermanagh is a big place and Henderson seems to be a relatively common name - although I haven't had much luck scouring the internet to find much evidence of their presence in this time period.  I need a visit to PRONI, but that a whole other story.

The methodism angle is a bit of a red herring (in my opinion) when researching.  I mean it's helpful if you know and you can go searching for records in a particular place.  But I've found being open minded has got be more leads.  None of the records in Northern Ireland are good, but the methodist ones are terrible if they exist at all.

Offline mlhenderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 23 April 11 14:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, but I guess I should have been on a different tread. Sorry new at this.