Author Topic: Offer: Teignmouth, devon cemetary burials 1881 - 1994  (Read 4140 times)

Offline churchill81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Offer: Teignmouth, devon cemetary burials 1881 - 1994
« on: Sunday 02 June 13 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi all, if anyone would like help in looking up relatives burials for teignmouth cemetary, i am more than happy to help..regards. ::)
devon surnames -  Churchill, Seaward, Holman, Finch, Wheaton, Hart, Whiteway, Goss, Gigg, Maddocks, Lovell, Rackley, Diamond, Slocombe,

Scotland Surnames - Stobo, Russell

Surrey Surnames - Jordan

Offline devongirl50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Teignmouth, devon cemetary burials 1881 - 1994
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi  Some of my family lived in Teignmouth for many years.  James Dobb and his wife Mary Ann Dobb (nee Venn), their daughter Sarah Dobb and grand daughter Elizabeth Dobb.

I'm trying to trace James Dobb who was born in 1809 and married Mary Ann Venn 20 Dec 1835.
I think I have him in the 1851 census but his name is spelt Dobbs but after that no trace. The family lived in Teignmouth in 1851.

Is there any trace of James Dobb in the cemetary records?  He might have died earilier than the 1881 you are investigating. Thank you for your help.
Coles (Torquay Devon), Thomas (Teignmouth Devon), Dobb (Devon), Venn (Exeter Devon)Langdon (Devon)

Offline churchill81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi devondgirl50, i have looked for your relatives in question in the Teignmouth burial index and i think i have found mary and elizabeth but no james, i have only found two burials under Dobb and one under Dobbs. one of the burials is not giving a christian name but only the surname so it could be james, thats what they did sometimes.

SEQ - 319 -  DOBB  - burial date - 26.2.1884 plot A7 (Teignmouth old cemetary)

SEQ - 7399 - DOBB - Elizabeth - burial date - 15.4.1941 - plot Pp189 (Teignmouth old cemetary)

SEQ - 1325 - DOBBS - M.A. - burial date - 8.11.1891 - plot J45 (Teignmouth old cemetary)

Hope this has helped in your search i could always look in the actuall parish records for you when i go on thursday to the family research centre, it may give you more information. regards Fiona.
devon surnames -  Churchill, Seaward, Holman, Finch, Wheaton, Hart, Whiteway, Goss, Gigg, Maddocks, Lovell, Rackley, Diamond, Slocombe,

Surrey Surnames - Jordan

Offline devongirl50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 18:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help Fiona. M.A.Dobbs  was probably my 3rd great grandmother although it was Mary Ann Dobb on the later census.

The dates match as she died on 3rd Nov 1891 and was living in Teignmouth at the time.  My grand mother was born in the same house 25 Brunswick Street Teignmouth as Mary Ann died.

Elizabeth married and became Elizabeth Thomas; she died in 1918 so the second grave is not hers.

The first grave maybe James Dobb as Mary was a widow on the 1891 census.  I will search for his death again.  Thank you so much for your help. I'm a beginner at this and could not have achieved what I have without the help I have received. 
If you could look on Thursday that would be great. Best wishes Jenny.
Coles (Torquay Devon), Thomas (Teignmouth Devon), Dobb (Devon), Venn (Exeter Devon)Langdon (Devon)

Offline churchill81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny,  i did come across this burial i dont know if its your Elizabeth Thomas

SEQ - 4616 - THOMAS - ELIZABETH ANN  - burial date - 10.08.1918 plot - Ee103 (old cemetary)

There are many burials with the Thomas surname.

i do know brunswick street well and many of the buildings still stand from that period. You can always visit ancestry.com and look up private family trees you may find people who also are researching your line and get more information that way..i will see what i can find in the st james and st michaels parish records for james dobb. regards

Surrey Surnames - Jordan

Offline devongirl50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 19:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you Fiona.  That will probably be my great grandmother! Not sure though as she lived in Torquay when she died but some of the family still lived in Teignmouth.

I went to Teignmouth but 25 Brunswick St had gone. Next time I'm in Devon I will go to the cemetery and look for the plots if they are still there.

Thank you so much for your help.  Jenny.

Offline churchill81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny i go up the old cemetary often as im still searching for ancesters, i have a plan and plots and i still cannot get my head around the layout, the good thing is many headstones still stand and i was able to find family in late 1890 with out plots and plans lol..i wish you all the luck in your search.

Surrey Surnames - Jordan

Offline devongirl50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 19:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Fiona. I will give it a try next time I'm in Devon. Jenny.