Author Topic: Is anyone researching partners and wives of John Kelly from Ruapuke Island  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Bobi.com

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I would love to hear from anyone who has researched the Kelly, Milne families, and would be willing to share their information.
I am a Great Great Great granddaughter of John Kelly.

:)

Offline Inverkelly

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone researching partners and wives of John Kelly from Ruapuke Island
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 August 13 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Bobi.  I am also a descendant of John Kelly (from Ruapuke Island) - he was my great-grandfather. You are welcome to have any information from my research, although I only have snippets from the Milne branch of the family. I am currently researching details of John Kelly's 4 relationships - 2 marriages and 2 "liaisons".
Robert Kelly.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 August 13 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have asked for this to be placed on the Main Board where it can be seen.   At the moment it is sitting on the Completed Requests Board.

Welcome to Rootschat Robert. :)

Cheers
KHP

Moderator Comment: Moved to main New Zealand board :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline New Zealander

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 August 13 02:09 BST (UK) »
Hello there

I too descend from families on Ruapuke Island through my Moriori connection being Kiti Kaaraka, known also as Catherine, Kate or Kitty Clark, born on Ruapuke Island in Foveaux Strait on 12 September 1870. 

It is probable that you have looked at this angle of inquiry into the Kelly / Milne families but wonder if you have considered the Rakiura Museum on Stewart Island, the Southland Museum in Invercargill  and the local maraes at Bluff and Invercargill.

Perhaps even the Maori Land Court which can be searched online for land entitlements might be worthwhile.  Papers Past might be another avenue.

Maybe you have a connection somewhere with the local tribes similar to myself.  Anyway for what it is worth my idle thoughts that may be of some use !!

Alex G ;D

Glasgow .. Glennie/Bryce, Aberdeenshire .. Glennie/ Grassick,
Clackmannanshire .. Bryce/Miller
Arbroath .. Spink
Oxfordshire .. Green
Cornwall .. Vincent

Ireland (Cobh) .. Sullivan

New Zealand .. Glennie/Bryce/Grassick/Spink/Palmer

Chatham Islands .. Rewai

Australia .. Glennie/Ross/Lusk

Offline Bobi.com

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 August 13 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex G
Hey thanks for those suggestions. I am very willing to try any avenue that opens. As you are probably aware, little bits of information come from continuing to "look".
I am about to find out what it costs for a DNA test here in New Zealand to establish my Ngai Tahu "roots".

Bobi

Offline quirkymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Bobi,
Just wondering if you are still looking into the Kelly/Milne ancestry.

I am a direct descendant of John Kelly (Born circa 1800) and am trying to trace his heritage back to the UK.   I'm pretty up to date with the time since he was sent out to Australia as a convict circa 1815/1816.
If you head to my MyHeritage site  you can see my efforts thus far.
I am hoping that someone in the UK might be able to dig a little more effectively to try and find where John was born and details of his parents/siblings. I hit dead ends every time I try. 
I'd love to be able to read the entire transcript of his 'trial' at the old bailey (London) but can only access a brief summary.

Let me know if you are still interested and if I can help with anything in particular.

BTW. I was able to work out my whakapapa back to Bloody Jack and Mary Hine PikihauTuhawaiki (where my Ngai Tahu ancestry comes from).

Tony Milne.