Author Topic: John Mine b1843 Aberdeen, Scotlaand. Miner in NZ  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Bobi.com

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Mine b1843 Aberdeen, Scotlaand. Miner in NZ
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 June 13 00:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you yes I am looking into that as we speak.

John ROWE died in 1869 at the age of 30 years. He and Mary Ann had 5 chidren, 3 died in their first year, one at 39yrs and the last at 70yrs.

Your help is much appreciated.  :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 June 13 00:16 BST (UK) »
Did John live at Long Beach  in New Zealand? And could he have been an Agricultural Overseer at the time of his death?
Found this probate on Family Search https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KDT3-QTW
It mentions his eldest son as James.
John's eldest surviving son was Alexander George James. ???
Maybe it's a different John Milne?
I'll look out for any more info you post ;)
Regards Looby

ps. After midnight here ....going to bed!

Offline Bobi.com

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 June 13 01:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby
Sorry I typed the date of John and Marian's marriage date wrong, they married in    1895 according to NZ BDM. She registered herself as ROWE nee Kelly.
The "Longbeach" John is not my one.

:)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 June 13 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Bobi.com,

Great that you've established the marriage between Mary Ann ( or Marian, as it's transcribed on the BMD site) Rowe/ Kelly and John Milne. Poor souls only married a year before John's death then?

Have you ordered a transcription of this marriage? With a bit of luck that would give you John's parents names and therefore a route back to Scotland.

It's interesting the couple only married after many years together and several children together - although I believe ' living together without benefit of a certificate' , as my late granny would have put it was a lot more common than my granny's generation would have believed! ;D
Could it be that John was already married and his wife still alive ? Certainly Mary Ann was free to marry after Rowe's death in 1869 ??? . Wonder what held them back till they were both in their 50's?

Looby  :)

Oh and sorry that the probate was not related. I realised the location was on the wrong island but thought I'd mention it anyway. Cos with family history....you never know!!

Offline quirkymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 06:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Bobi, I really hope you are still active somewhere....our paths cross again.  My G Grandfather was your GG Grandmother's younger brother  William Henry John Milne (B 1884)

My tree includes
John Milne B July 26 1842 D Mar 11 1883 who married Mereana Heni or Mary Anne Jane or Marian Milne (born Kelly) B circa 1842 D Jan 23 1915

WHJ Milne B1884 D1937
Allan Westbrook Milne B1913 D1977 (when I was 8 years old)
Graham Allan Milne B1946
Tony Roy Milne B1969 (me)

As I mentioned in my earlier post my Ngai Tahu heritage comes from Mereana Heni (daughter of Mary hine Pikihau Kelly (nee here) who is the sister of Bloody Jack (who signed the Treaty of Waitangi as paramount chief of Ngai Tahu in 1840  aka John or Hone Tuhawaiki aka John Touwaick) and John Kelly

Offline quirkymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 06:11 BST (UK) »
John Milne of Aberdeen is my GG Grandfather born in Fyvie, Aberdeenshire  (although I have a recollection that he may have been from Fyvie but may in fact have been born in Undy - not sure where that memory comes from though)
B July 26 1842

D Mar 11 1883

His parents were
John Milne and Jessie (nee Sim)

Hope that helps