Author Topic: LEA of Sandbach, Cheshire & Staffordshire  (Read 13244 times)

Offline tanginitoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LEA of Sandbach, Cheshire & Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 August 10 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma, You wrote......

Hello Diana,

My name is Emma and i have just registered on root chat after googling Thomas Lea. I am researching my family history and Thomas Lea (born 1811) is my Great Great Great Grandfather. My Grandmother is Barbara Lea, Thomas' Great Grandaughter. I live in Wolverhampton in the Midlands, England, and have traced the Lea family back to 1763 (William Lea). Thomas indeed had many children with Matilda his wife. I have tried to find information on the Butchers shop in Sandbach but so far have had no luck. Henry Lea (Thomas' son born 1848) did indeed move to Worcester and married Harriet Drake.
I am not sure if you have any heard of the band 'Slade'. They were very famous in the seventies. Well Jimmy Lea the guitarist is Thomas' Great Great Grandson. So there is in fact one famous member of the Lea family! If you would like to share information please reply.

Emma

Hi Emma,  I have been doing family history research now for something in the region of 15 years, and you are the very first person I have ever made contact with who is a LEA relation and I am so excited!  I would most certainly love to discuss our mutual descendency from Thomas & Matilda Lea, but would prefer to do it direct, rather than through a website such as Rootschat, so wonder if you would be so kind as to write to me at:   dmlfamilyhistory@gmail.com , giving me your email address, I will write back immediately as well as open my online tree which I keep private except to proven relations.  Unfortunately I have had information 'stolen' and added to other websites which were not connected to me in any way, so I am very wary these days.  I look forward to hearing from you in the not too far distant future.  Kindest regards, Diana

Major names of interest:
Alexis,  Ashworth (from Whittlesey, Cambs.),Atwater, Belsham, Brown (Pudsey), Chick,Col(l)om, Evans (Southwark & Woolwich), Forster (Cheshire), Gardner (Bow & Stepney), Gray (Cambridge),Lea (Staffs & Cheshire) Longmate, Pain (Devon) Parke, Parker (Hanley, Staffs), Plant, Proctor (Lincoln & Newark),
Treeby (Devon), Ward Pudsey

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 August 10 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana

Although no relation to the Lea family your posting caught my eye because I am also researching my family who come from Sandbach.  My g-grandfather Edward Stokes was a local chimney sweep and moved to Sandbach at a young age from Staffordshire. The "core" of the family never left the area and many descendants still live locally.  I was wondering if you could recommend a good website or book that offers any good historical background, interesting information or any other details about Sandbach?  I have been researching this family for sometime now but haven't really come across information about Sandbach other than "the crosses".
Thanks

PS -  I can understand your frustration about "stolen" information & it being erroneously added elsewhere, it has happened to me as well. :(

Offline Footo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 August 10 22:07 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if you could recommend a good website or book that offers any good historical background, interesting information or any other details about Sandbach?  I have been researching this family for sometime now but haven't really come across information about Sandbach other than "the crosses".
Thanks
There was a book called "The History of the Ancient Parish of Sandbach, co. Chester." at http://www.archive.org/ that you can read on-line or download. Just put Sandbach in the search box...

Barbara
Meehan - Sligo and Manchester
Currell - Princes Risborough and Manchester
Gee - Congleton, Salford and Manchester
Withers - Hornby, Manchester and Salford
Dodd - Congleton, Salford and Manchester

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 August 10 23:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that!   :)

Offline gilliano1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 13:05 BST (UK) »
hello
I  am researching the Lea family as well only just started on behalf of my husband Roy Mitchell as I believe he is a direct descendent . We have lived in Sandbach all our lives.

kind regards
GILLIAN

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 09:18 BST (UK) »
Your post also caught my eye...as I did some research into LEA in Cheshire 

My great  grandmother s first husband was James Lea a painter b Birkenhead

His fathere James Henry Lea b1854 Bebington d1879 Birkenhead

Thomas Lea b Liverpool 1822 a printer son of James Lea b1780 Frodsham d1860 married Mary Rice

I didn't research siblings as theyou are not blood relatives

Can't see any obvious connections to your Sandbach  families

Am also researching a Lincolnshire family of Lea furthest back in got was Joseph LEA 1845-1902 m Mary louisE JORDAN they lived in reversby lincolnshire.

Glad you found some connections

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline tanginitoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 19:36 BST (UK) »
Greetings!

I am finding this software extremely confusing so please forgive me if I am not replying correctly!

Letter 1 from Gillian.

Gillian, I have done extensive research into the Lea's from Sandbach and can tell you that there are at least 7 different Lea families in Sandbach and closely surrounding villages (ie Holmes Chapel etc.), that do not appear to be related according to all the records that are available.  I have extracted every Lea from the parish registers, and placed them all in different family groups.  My Lea's had died out in Sandbach by the mid 1800's, with one line going to Worcester, and my line to Newcastle/Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, so it is very unlikely that your husband is related to my Leas. 

Letter 2.   Likewise, I have no Lea relations in the areas you mention. 

Sorry I cannot be more helpful to either of you, Kindest regards, Diana Lea
Major names of interest:
Alexis,  Ashworth (from Whittlesey, Cambs.),Atwater, Belsham, Brown (Pudsey), Chick,Col(l)om, Evans (Southwark & Woolwich), Forster (Cheshire), Gardner (Bow & Stepney), Gray (Cambridge),Lea (Staffs & Cheshire) Longmate, Pain (Devon) Parke, Parker (Hanley, Staffs), Plant, Proctor (Lincoln & Newark),
Treeby (Devon), Ward Pudsey

Offline gilliano1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 September 18 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Diana
I did try and send a reply yesterday but think it’s disappeared. My husband stem appears to come from Margaret Lea 4x great Grandmother born 1779/1780 who married Thomas Dean . They in turn had Emma who we believe never married who had a daughter Susannah who married a Mellor and they lived worked and died in Sandbach. Kind regards Gillian . I was taking photos in the churchyard this morning . If  we can help we will