Author Topic: Ysceifiog or Ysgeifiog  (Read 3008 times)

Offline Chrissy Thompson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ysceifiog or Ysgeifiog
« on: Thursday 06 June 13 17:26 BST (UK) »
Her name was Mary Williams and she married John Jones of Hope by License 11th October 1693,  John was somewhat older than her and died in 1705 leaving a will which told me Mary Williams was from Ysceifiog, Flintshire.  Her brother may have been John Williams.  I estimate she may have been born around 1672, she was a spinster when she was married.  My question is how do I look up Ysceifiog birth/baptism for 1672 - Family Search/Find my Past don't seem to have those registers or if they do it is under another name.  Caerwys or Nannerch are close but there was and is a Church in Ysceifiog called St. Mary's - where could I find copies of these registers (without going to Hawarden because I live in the Yukon).
Next question, why was Pigeon House or Colomendy, Colomendu (Clomendy) a popular name for a house/estate in Wales?

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ysceifiog or Ysgeifiog
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 June 13 21:49 BST (UK) »
From genuki.co.uk http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/FLN/Ysceifiog/index.html

The Ysceifiog Parish Registers have been deposited at Flintshire Record Office, Hawarden. They may be viewed on microfilm at the Flintshire Record Office, the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin, and the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth. These microfilms are not available elsewhere.

Baptisms 1662 - 1996
Marriages 1662 - 1960
Burials 1662 - 1910

Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the years 1662 - 1812.
http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/publications/registers-books.htm#Y

By 1835, the old church was in such a state of dilapidation that services had to be discontinued. The building was demolished, and a new church was erected on the same site during 1836/1837.
http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/eglwysi/ysceifiog.htm (includes a picture of the new church).

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Chrissy Thompson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ysceifiog or Ysgeifiog
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 June 13 20:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you Deirdre for your prompt reply.
I was in Flintshire only two weeks ago but at that time I had not discovered Mary Williams - even visited the graveyard of the Church (St. Mary's) at Ysceifiog by accident when we got lost.  Found the Fox Inn too - weird.  After my note asking for help I also discovered (or rediscovered) the Clwyd  Family History site and wondered about buying the records which I have just done. 
Over my jet lag and back to normal once again I realise I am probably trying to do the impossible with my Jones family, John and Mary Jones!  But with their addresses attached maybe..
they are John Jones, Gent of Colomendu, Hope, Flintshire and Mary Williams of Ysceifiog or Ysgeifiog or Schiriauy and many other weird spellings and variants, Flintshire, Wales.  There is at least another Ysceifiog in Anglesey.
Thanks again.
Frances