Author Topic: McBean/Fraser/McGillivray/MacIntosh Daviot/Dunlichity  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Harper 7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McBean/Fraser/McGillivray/MacIntosh Daviot/Dunlichity
« on: Thursday 06 June 13 20:43 BST (UK) »
I need some help.  I am wanting to trace my Highland family tree back another generation or two as I am very interested in what happened to them at Culloden.  However, I am stuck in 1778.  I am actually spending the summer in Scotland and went to the Highland Archives the other day and didn't find any new info   :(  If I have to I am going to go knock on some doors but I would prefer to get more info first.  Here is the info I have.

William McBean B. 26Aug 1800 Daviot/Dunlichity  - 26Dec 1892 Middlesex, Ontario, Canada
Married Mary Fraser B. 1815 Daviot/Dunlichity-17Apr 1888 Forest Ontario
Children:  Duncan, William, James Arthur (my great gpa), Janet, Margaret, Donald, Mary......

William (1800) parents:  William and Jennet Smith (no more info)

Mary Fraser parents
William Fraser (McGlashan???) 1778 Dunlichity-6oct1850 Dunlichity
Margaret MacIntosh (MackIntosh?) 1782 Daviot/Dunlichity - 23jan1854
Children:  William, Rebecca, Mary, Ann, John, Margory, Angus, Donald

William Fraser's parents:  William Fraser (McGlashan?) and Rebecca McGillivray
Margaret MacIntosh's parents:  John MacIntosh 8sep1756 and Isabell Cameron 1756

Can anyone help?  Or tell me where to go for help? 
Thanks so much!

Julie
Cowie, MacBean, Fraser, MacIntosh, Harper, McGlashan, McGillivray, Cameron, Doyle, Griffin

Offline whatkaileysaid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McBean/Fraser/McGillivray/MacIntosh Daviot/Dunlichity
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 July 18 01:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Harper,

I'm not sure I'll be much help - just here to say that I am just starting to look for ancestors with surnames McGillivray/MacIntosh from Daviot Dunlichity through the same time periods. Another relative of mine (who lives in Scotland) did speak to a historian about them once and was told it was highly likely the family would have been involved in Culloden given their names and location. Like you, I'm trying to find actual evidence of this.

One thing to consider that I've been told on here is traditional naming patterns. It seems likely that yours does somewhat follow it (sons are named after paternal grandfathers), and you have several William Frasers in a row on the paternal line. This would indicate, I would assume, that the generation before is also a William Fraser - perhaps born around 1720/30, if you calculate the general difference in the previous generations.

Someone who understands Gaelic naming would be better to answer you about the questionable McGlashan but I wonder if it might be their alias, which was often listed in the old records, (which I think, is usually naming their fathers/grandfathers). I looked it up and looks like it may be Mac Glaisein which I believe would mean "Son of Glaisein" ...whatever Glaisein means. Hope someone who knows more pipes in, but it could help you trace the family.

You might also have some luck finding a William Fraser from the right area in this publication or others that list those who fought for/supported the Prince - I was looking at this tonight before your post came up: https://ia801304.us.archive.org/25/items/alistpersonscon00excigoog/alistpersonscon00excigoog.pdf

Also - last point. I have just started in this area so have no idea what is available, but for another line in the north west I'm tracing, the local museum has tenant records from the area. I'm going to check them out when I'm there in a few weeks. It's possible there's something similar in this parish.

If I find anything that might be helpful I'll let you know. I'll also keep an eye here in case anyone has better ideas!

Kailey
Morison (Isle of Lewis), Mclennan (Torridon), Mcleod (Scourie), McCallum (Durness), McInnes (Harris), McGillivray / McIntosh (Daviot & Dunlichity)