Author Topic: A Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to Canada before Confederation - D. A. Whyte  (Read 4547 times)

Offline ckirish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm looking for information on Thomas Craig found in
WHYTE, DONALD. A Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to Canada before Confederation. Toronto: Ontario Genealogical Society. Volume 2, 1995. 435p.

Any info is greatly appreciated! 
Thank you!

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Photoduplication_Services

FamilySearch.org does have this series of books in their library.  Since you have a volume number and page reference you could request a photocopy of the page from them.

I only have one experience in finding my husband's direct line ancestor in this book series.  The information recorded was taken from the 1852 census and then an incorrect entry of the wife remarrying after the death of her husband when in fact she predeceased him.

Offline ckirish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you so much.  I have emailed a request for the particular page!

Offline Jehane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: A Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to Canada before Confederation - D. A. Whyte
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 23:18 BST (UK) »

Hi ckirish

Would one of these be your Thomas Craig it's from the Dictionary of Scottish Emmigrants Volume II

1756 CRAIG, Thomas. To Quebec on the Earl of
Buckinghamshire, ex Greenock, 28 Apr 1821, in assoc
with the Brownfield and Anderson Soc. Loc Ramsay Twp,
Lanark Co, ONT. First slmt advance to him paid 1 Aug.
ICS-6.
1757 CRAIG, Thomas, 1770-1860. From Lanton,
ROX, but res sometime at Wooler, NBL. To St John, NB,
ex Liverpool, 23 May 1841; stld Harvey, Albert Co. m
Margaret Patterson, 1780-1843, from Berwick-on-Tweed.
Son James, 1813-1902. DC 30 Aug 1984.

Offline ckirish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: A Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to Canada before Confederation - D. A. Whyte
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 23:26 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid neither of those are my Thomas Craig. 
My Thomas Craig was a child, born 1839 in Kilbirnie, Ayreshire, Scotland, who entered Canada in 1842 with his mother, Elizabeth Craig.  His father John Craig, would have entered in 1841.

Thanks for checking, though!
I appreciate it!

Offline Jehane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 June 13 00:09 BST (UK) »
Best of luck with your search!

Offline shan55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Does anyone have access to these books?

On page 65 - Volume 1

It appears that both

John Cowie
John Bryce Cowie

travelled to Quebec, Canada from Scotland.

I am trying to find out any other information that the book may have on them - are they father and son perhaps? I am searching for information on John Cowie born about 1811 Aberdeen, who travelled to Canada before 1848. These are the only references to John Cowie for that period of time and I believe one or both of them may be the family I am tracking.

There is no ship listed on the summary.

Thank you.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
They are father and son but neither was born about 1811. John Cowie (1794-1887) was from Springbank, Glasgow and was the son of William C. Cowie and Christina Jackson. He had been married to Bethia Cowie (a relative) who died during the voyage. John Bryce Cowie is listed with birth/death dates of 1835-1901. The family arrived on the Bowling in 1842 and settled in East Williams Twp., Middlesex County, Ontario.

Do you have any other information such as the names of your John's parents and/or wife?

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline shan55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The only information that I have is based on Canadian records.

John Cowie giving his age in all the census records & his age given on his death records, places his year of birth around 1811 or 1812 - recognizing that he may not have known his exact birth date, this could be out by a few years or so.

In all records and on his head stone, his place of birth is given as Scotland - Aberdeen.

No father or mother is recorded in any of the records.

His wife was Lucinda Dixon but he does not appear to have married her until sometime around 1848 when he shows up living in Canada and starting a family. Lucinda's birth was given as both the USA and Canada depending on the record. He was about 20 years older than his wife. The family remained in Ontario, Canada where they had about ten children.

I took the year of possible arrival, based on the fact that John was married and in Canada by about 1848 and I could find no mention of him before that.

I also believe he may have been married before - likely in Scotland. Given his age at the birth of his first child in Ontario - somewhere around 39 years - it is very probable that he was married, had a family or been in some sort of service.  If I were to take a naming pattern as another possible link - his 1st four children were Benjamin; John; Mary and George William Cowie, as well as a daughter Christina.

I should note that in all of the records he has placed his birth in Scotland but did not identify as far as I can find, the exact place - it is on his head stone that Aberdeen is found. His age varies depending on the census.

Thank you!