Author Topic: Jamieson Family  (Read 14603 times)

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jamieson Family
« on: Sunday 09 June 13 09:01 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon Forum members.

I am trying to sort out my JAMIESON family and have been given various bits of information via family members.

My GGGGG G/father was William JAMIESON who married Margaret FRAZER.  Birth place for these two unknown.  Children of this couple are:
John JAMIESON (1761 Mount Stuart Shore (?) -1823 presumed to be Rothesay).
Elizabeth JAMIESON (1763 Mount Stuart Shore(?) - no further information known.
William JAMIESON (1764 Mount Stuart Shore (?) - no further information known.

John Jamieson is my GGGG G/father.  He married Janet McCONECHY (and various spellings for this lady appear).  They married 8 February 1785.  From the Marriage register I can confirm William had passed away before this time.  The register states:

"January 1785
John Jamieson, tenant in Scalpsie son to the deceased William Jamieson late Ferryer at Scoulag in the parish of Kingarth and Janet McConechy daughter to John McConechy  in the Butt of Scalpsie booked the..........married the 8th of February."

I believe Janet to be the daughter of John McCONACHY and Janet STEWART (STUART) born in 1761 but other family members have her birth as 1764. 

In the book written by Alison Mitchell - "Pre-1855 Gravestone Inscriptions in Bute and Arran" John and Janet appear on page 25, no 392 with ages 63 for John and 66 for Janet whose name appears as MacCONACHY.  This would accord with my belief of her birth in 1761.

Is anyone else connected with this family please?  Are you able to assist with any family information at all please?

Can you someone also let me know where I may find a photograph of the headstone / monumental inscription for this couple.

Also if anyone else has information for William and Margaret (nee FRAZER) I would be very grateful to receive help with this couple.

My GGG Grandfather William Jamieson & Elizabeth nee King (daughter of John KING & Ann O'DONNELL) came to Australia, believed to be on the Statesman in 1851.  I am still yet to find the shipping records. 

I have contacted Bute Sons & Daughters but have never received a reply other than to say someone will get in touch with me.  This was a few months ago.  I have sent follow up messages but sadly they go unanswered.

I have also been advised the JAMIESON family from Bute is a Sept of Clan STUART of Bute.

I have bought as many records as I can trying to sort out this family starting with the family of William & Margaret JAMIESON and working my way down to my GGG Grandfather.

Hoping someone will be able to assist with my requests.

Thanking you in advance.

Judi

Offline tmilanese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jamieson Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 June 13 19:37 BST (UK) »
Any relation to this Jamieson family on the 1881 Census?

1881 Scotland Census about Robert Jamieson
40 East Ingram St. Glasgow Lanarkshire
Robert Jamieson   34 baker b. Houston Renfrewshire
Margaret Jamieson   32
Gertrude Jamieson   9
Robert Jamieson   7
Martha Jamieson   5
Margaret Jamieson   3
John Jamieson   11 Mos
Margaret Cooper   17

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 June 13 22:48 BST (UK) »
Apologies for my late reply, I am away from home visiting my sister.  Unfortunately I do not know who this couple are but have made a note of them should further research reveal they are part of my Jamieson extended family.

Thank you for your post regarding this family.

Cheers  Judi

Offline Kjamieson73

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi judi

Are you still researching this branch? I too am related to William Jameson my 5x G grandfather and also John & Elizabeth

I have been able to go back 2 more gernations from William I just need to confirm

also Elizabeth's surname was Stuart or Stewart depending on records their Child John married Lucy Wade

I would love to connect with you to see what line of the family you are from

Kate

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate

William Jamieson is my 3 x G Grandfather and John Jamieson and Elizabeth nee Stewart are my 3rd Great - Great Uncle and Aunt. 

John Jamieson and Lucy nee Wade are my 1st cousins 4 times removed.  As you already know William Jamieson and John Jamieson are brothers. 

There is a lot of confusion with the two Elizabeth (King and Stewart) when the family came from Scotland to Australia.  Some have said William and Elizabeth (nee King) came on the same ship as John and Elizabeth (nee Stewart). 

So far I have not been able to confirm as the shipping papers definitely do not have William and Elizabeth and family on the "Statesman".  I am still trying to find the shipping papers for William and family.

I am sending you a message so you may contact me offline.  Sorry I neglected to put Jamieson Family in the message subject area.

Cheers  Judi