Author Topic: "3 Rhydcaisfach" Llanfihangel Ystrad address in 1851 , Is it Still There ??  (Read 5868 times)

Offline mlrsuperstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "3 Rhydcaisfach" Llanfihangel Ystrad address in 1851 , Is it Still There ??
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 01 December 18 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,
It's four and a half years since I last posted on this thread. I am remiss about three years ago (sorry ) I visited the ruin of Rhydycais Fach  after meeting with the farmer at Frongelyn who owns R.Y.C.F.
A very late post to say thanks.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Martin H. Watson Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246
    • View Profile
Re: "3 Rhydcaisfach" Llanfihangel Ystrad address in 1851 , Is it Still There ??
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 01 December 18 10:45 GMT (UK) »
It only works for adopted roads, and not in every country in the world, but Google Street View is very useful for finding if a building still exists. Recently I planned to visit a significant house in my research, but thought I'd look to see which end of a long road was the position of the house, and I discovered that there was a gap from number 30 to number 36, and a block of flats have been built in the place of these houses. A bit more Internet research showed that the house I was looking for was destroyed in 1940. It saved me a journey.  Google Earth can also be useful. Plus it's great fun anyway.

Martin
Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093

Names:
Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton, Durham & Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & Hartlepool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young, Adamson & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I use GRAMPS v5.0 software. 

My ancestors are probably turning in their graves, not that I can actually find any of them.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.