Author Topic: Lost Andersons of Moray  (Read 11916 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Andersons of Moray
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 05:31 BST (UK) »
I'm just new to RootsChat, but I have researching my family ancestry for quite some time on Ancestry.com

I very much hope that you are not reyling solely on A******y for your research.

You cannot properly research Scottish forebears using A******y alone because they do not have access to the originals of Scottish birth/baptism, banns/marriage, death or census records. Those are available only through Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk or, in the case of pre-1855 births/baptisms and banns/marriages and the census, on microfilm at libraries in Scotland and via LDS Church Family History Centres worldwide.

Also, there are trees online there and on other sites which include information which can be proved to be wrong by reference to original documents.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 07:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

There are two Naval Service Records on the NA website, one for a John, the other a William Anderson both born Rothes around the dates you provided. What is interesting is that their service numbers are consecutive, which suggests they enlisted together, so are perhaps brothers.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/s/res?discoveryCustomSearch=true&_fn=&_ln=anderson&_no=&_pl=Rothes&_sdb=&_edb=&_ser=ADM+139&_ser=ADM+188&_col=online&_dt=R&image1.x=46&image1.y=21

Martin

Offline ValmaiOwens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

"There are two Naval Service Records on the NA website, one for a John, the other a William Anderson both born Rothes around the dates you provided."

302651 is my grandfather John Anderson's service number. I have his discharge certificate here signed by King George. I found him listed on the Mercantile Marine crew lists several times, and I tracked him down in N/A, but I never took notice of the men listed above or below him. Both John and William have different dates of birth, but perhaps they lied about their age in order to enlist.

Anyway, thanks so much for alerting me to this. I will order William's records and see what they reveal. 

Cheers
Valmai

Offline ValmaiOwens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 16:00 BST (UK) »

I very much hope that you are not reyling solely on A******y for your research.

Hi,

I'm not relying solely on Ancestry. That is a mistake I have seen many people make, including my own brother and nephew who have tree's on the site. I will do a general search on Ancestry to see if I get any hits or hints, and from there I start to research thoroughly, finally backing everything up with official records purchased from Scotlandspeople or N/A if they have them available. I have many, many birth, marriage and death records, also census and valuation rolls.

However, it is important to note and for new people starting their research, that even official records aren't always correct. I have found many errors on records that are simply just a spelling mistake. That one small error can put one of course when doing a search so every time I find one I contact SP and alert them to it.

Cheers
Valmai

Offline ValmaiOwens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

There are two Naval Service Records on the NA website, one for a John, the other a William Anderson both born Rothes around the dates you provided. What is interesting is that their service numbers are consecutive, which suggests they enlisted together, so are perhaps brothers.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/s/res?discoveryCustomSearch=true&_fn=&_ln=anderson&_no=&_pl=Rothes&_sdb=&_edb=&_ser=ADM+139&_ser=ADM+188&_col=online&_dt=R&image1.x=46&image1.y=21

Martin

Hi Martin,

I wanted to get back with you and let you know that I purchased both records for John and William Anderson, and William and John enlisted in the Royal Navy on the same day. Physical descriptions of both men listed on the records are too similar for them not to be brothers. I'm not sure what the age requirement was for enlistment in the Navy at time, but both men listed their year of birth, one year earlier than their actual birth. Interestingly, William only served for 2 years. His last run was on the HMS Challenger where the ship's port of call was Auckland, New Zealand. At least now I have proof that William was in New Zealand.

Valmai

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 16:36 BST (UK) »
Valmai

Thanks for coming back with an update, it's always nice to know where leads take fellow RootsChatters. Just out of interest did William jump ship, shown by the words 'Run' on his record, because two years is an unusual period of service?

Martin

Offline ValmaiOwens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 19:57 BST (UK) »
Valmai

Thanks for coming back with an update, it's always nice to know where leads take fellow RootsChatters. Just out of interest did William jump ship, shown by the words 'Run' on his record, because two years is an unusual period of service?

Martin

Hi Martin,

Interestingly enough, "Run" does appear on both William and my grandfather's records. I didn't realize 'Run' meant jumping ship, but it seems that's exactly what William did in 1905. I am confused about his record though, because another man appears on it, a Robert Gregson. His service number was 302649 and why he is on my Uncle's Naval record I have no idea. I would like to send the record to you if I could, for you to take a look at it and see what you think about it. Would this be okay?

Incidently, my grandfather served 88 days for his 'Run' from the HMS Doris in 1908, and it looks like he tried it again later on. His record is hard to read in some places.

Valmai

Offline Cathall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 August 17 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Valmai, I have come across your post as I am also searching for some info on Robert Anderson who I only became aware of recently whilst researching the Anderson side of our family & like you I found him on John Anderson's death certificate. I apologise in advance as this may turn into a lengthy post. Through my research I had found that John Anderson had married Christina Paul & that sadly she had died very young, I had not got far enough yet to find that they had any children or that he had had a second marriage to Elsie McLean, therefore I have gained a lot of knowledge from your post, Thank You. As you say John Anderson went on to marry an Elizabeth Fraser in 1910, they appear on the 1911 Census for Auldearn-Brodie area No 3 Broombank Cottages, they are listed alone, not yet married a year with no children, John is listed as 2nd Horseman on Farm age 45 having been born in Elgin & Elizabeth 33 born Nairn. In 1912 they had a daughter Elizabeth Anderson, this is our connection to the family as she was my husband's mother, I would assume that Robert was her brother, however as I have not found either of their birth certificates yet I cannot confirm. ELizabeth had 6 children in total as follows,

John Anderson 1937 / Annsa Anderson 1939 both deceased.

Patricia Begg 1942.

Alexander James Hall 1947 / Allan Raymond Hall 1949 ( my husband )

Robert McTavish 1963

John's wife Elizabeth Fraser Anderson died 13/02/1956 age 79(Eliza on certificate), at this time she was living with Elizabeth junior, my husband his brother & Dad in the Elgin area.

Elizabeth Anderson Begg died 07/05/1967 age 55, at this time she was living with her little boy Robert McTavish.

I hope you see this post as it has been a while since your last post.

In summary it would appear that John had 4 children with Christina & 2 with Elizabeth.

Kind Regards Catherine Hall

Elizabeth Anderson Begg

Offline Dot123

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 22 June 19 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi there. I'm wondering if we're connected also. I'm a descendant of Andersons of Auldearn also. My gt gt gt grandparents were Margaret McIntosh and Alexander Anderson and I am descended from their son John, who married Mary Rose and had 6 children. Their two sons were Alexander born circa 1861 and John born 1863 and they both left Scotland in 1883* and emigrated to Australia. My great grandfather was Alexander who went on to Norfolk Island and had many children. One son, Alexander Anderson (my grandfather) moved with some of his family to NZ. I'll go into ancestry and do more research. PS, I have visited their graves in Auldearn where I was able to fill in many gaps for information from the early 1800's