Author Topic: Doyle family pittsburgh  (Read 8425 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Doyle family pittsburgh
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 16 June 13 22:41 BST (UK) »
You're very welcome, pleased to help. Pity couldn't find anymore on Julia but perhaps someone will turn up something or family will pick the thread up on google.

Hope the computer probs are solved.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline paulamcdermott

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 16 June 13 23:41 BST (UK) »
yea computer just kept freezing on me . got new security so working now thanks god. thanks so much sandra for all the help. im loads now im trying to work out a family tree to see if i can find any possible living relation . dunno maybe they would like to hear from their long lost family in Ireland and may the would not. I just feel obliged to do something after finding this letter and knowing it was sent by Joseph wishing to know his Irish family.

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 22:12 BST (UK) »
Here's a 1935 news item about Julia M. Doyle with lots of personal detail, from the Jewish Criterion (a newspaper that is still published in Pittsburgh). The original text is plain text that is not formatted at all. The link to the original online is http://pjn.library.cmu.edu/books/CALL1/CRI_1935_086_012_07261935/vol0/part0/copy0/ocr/txt/0022.txt

"Miss Doyle Announces
Candidacy for Clerk of
Courts
Julia M. Doyle, well-known Pittsburgh attorney, is the only woman candidate for the office of Clerk of Courts of Allegheny County in the Democratic primaries on September 17. This is the second time Miss Doyle has run for this office, having been the choice of the Democratic Party for this place in the 1932 campaign.
Miss Doyle has been engaged in the active practice of the Law since her admission to the Allegheny County Bar in 1931, having graduated from the Pittsburgh Law School, Schenley High and the University of Pittsburgh. It is well known to her many friends that this young lady worked her way through school, and has done almost every sort of work possible, from working in a cake factory to aiding certain professors in the writing of their books on sociology and history.
She has been active in politics since attaining her majority,, having been a Democrat consistently, and has never voted nor registered other than the Democratic ticket. At the same time she is not bound to nor in sympathy with machine politics as such are generally understood to mean. She is known recently by her work as president of the Civil Service Commission of the City of Pittsburgh, which she held during most of the year of 1934. Her record in that capacity was commendable. She is known to have been the youngest person to ever have served in this office. Since her retirement from that post she has spent much of her time defending employees who have been ousted from office while supposedly protected by Civil Service Law."

Regards,
John  :o :o :o
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline Mick Doyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 November 13 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I have in my possession a letter dated 24th March 1958 from Joesph S Doyle which I believe it was my Grandfathers. If gives all the details mentioned as per Sandra Post.

I hope I am doing this correctly as it is my first time to post.

Regards
Michael Doyle
Formley from County Wicklow Ireland

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 23 November 13 20:34 GMT (UK) »
ok iv just joined here so im not sure if im doing this right. I am looking to do some some family history search on The Doyle family in pittsburgh in the 1920's to date. The first name is Micheal J. Doyle. he was Irish and moved to pittsburgh and Married Mary E price. (she died in 1951)( he died in 1937) Their children were Julia M. Doyle who was an attorney, and Joseph S.Doyle who was the owner of Wayne Printing Company Pittsburgh. Also a first cousion of these people was William redmond a police magistrate in pittsburgh in the 1950's

I found a court case involving Julia Doyle, acting as attorney for her sister-in-law, who took over Wayne Printing, perhaps after Joseph Doyle died(?). Very complete and interesting, if you want to know what happens when a printing company is shipped a three-legged printing press--one leg defective--by a manufacturer who had shipped it first to another customer in a different state.

http://pa.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.19540830_0040429.PA.htm/qx

Regards,

SCOTLAND

Offline KarenRJones

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Paula McDermott!
I am Karen Jones - one of Edith & David Roulley's daughters from REPLY#9.
My maternal grandparents were Dorothy Nespojohny & Edward Vincent Doyle.  Mary Price & Michael Doyle (Edward Vincent Doyle's parents) were my great grandparents.  Grandpa Ed died before I was born, but Grandma Dorothy and I were very close and she told me many stories of her early marriage years living with Mary, Julia, and the rest of the family.  I hope we can chat more about this.  Looking forward to your response. 

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 05:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Paula McDermott!
My maternal grandparents were Dorothy Nespojohny & Edward Vincent Doyle.  Mary Price & Michael Doyle (Edward Vincent Doyle's parents) were my great grandparents.  Grandpa Ed died before I was born, but Grandma Dorothy and I were very close and she told me many stories of her early marriage years living with Mary, Julia, and the rest of the family.  I hope we can chat more about this.  Looking forward to your response.

Hi Karen: Welcome to Rootschat. And welcome to you, too, Mick Doyle. Sorry I neglected to notice your initial post.

I've contributed a few posts to this thread not because I'm related but because I know the area where your Doyle relatives live(d).

If both of you make two additional posts to Rootschat, you'll be able to communicate by Personal Message with one another and with Paula.

To send a PM (as it's abbreviated here) after you have three posts, you go to the info on the left  under a member's name and click the icon beneath it that looks like a document.

Regards,

SCOTLAND

Offline Mick Doyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Paula McDermott!

Hi Karen: Welcome to Rootschat. And welcome to you, too, Mick Doyle. Sorry I neglected to notice your initial post.

I've contributed a few posts to this thread not because I'm related but because I know the area where your Doyle relatives live(d).

If both of you make two additional posts to Rootschat, you'll be able to communicate by Personal Message with one another and with Paula.

To send a PM (as it's abbreviated here) after you have three posts, you go to the info on the left  under a member's name and click the icon beneath it that looks like a document.

Regards,

Hi John

Thank You for your help with postings etc.
Much appreciated

Regards
Mick

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mick: You're welcome.

Incidentally, I looked to find out where Chatsworth Avenue was located in Pittsburgh. It's in a neighborhood called Hazelwood, south of Pittsburgh's downtown. Nice name for a neighborhood, but not such a nice place to live.

Pittsburgh from the 1920s into the early 1980s was was one giant steel mill. Hazelwood's part in the process was that it was the location of a coke works (where coal was baked in a large "oven" in the absence of air) and blast furnaces.

Coke, which is almost pure carbon, was dumped into a blast furnace (there were four of them in Hazelwood) with iron ore and limestone to make iron, which was made into steel in an open hearth furnace.

There was incredible air pollution from the coke works and blast furnaces hanging over Hazelwood, and the Doyles were cheek by jowl with them. I mean: Chatsworth Avenue was across the road from the coke works.

Regards,

SCOTLAND