Author Topic: McGiveny - Co. Cavan  (Read 5698 times)

Offline JustMee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McGiveny - Co. Cavan
« on: Thursday 13 June 13 07:49 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information - of the McGiveny family in the town of Croserlough -- all we have is
a Mary Ellen McGiveny born around 1821.

We found a family of McGiveny in the town 'Drumolman' - Bernard & Mary McGiveny. . . .but unable to obtain any records for the McGiveny family in the area of Croserlough, Cavan. 

It seems that Mary Ellen left Ireland around 1843, could have married a 'Smith' before migrating.   When she re-married in 1849 in Australia she was known as Mary Smith, however on the birth records of her children to her 2nd marriage the name 'McGiveny' is present.  On her death certificates it doesn't state her parents.

Mary-Ellen McGiveny b. 1821, has prove to be a mystery.

Offline charismayo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McGiveny - Co. Cavan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 June 13 16:42 BST (UK) »
Greetings from the U.S. I'm sure folks in Cavan will be able to help in more detail, but a couple of basics: Crosserlough is a Parish, and Drummlonan is a Townland within the Parish of Crosserlough. If you look at the Griffiths Valuation of the 1840s, there are 48 McGivneys listed: 28 live in Crosserlough, 10 live in the Parish of Denn (which borders Crosserlough), and 4 live in the Parish of Lavey (which borders Denn). So the McGivneys stuck together, and that should give you hope in tracing your Mary Ann.
The U.S. angle to all this is that a McGivney was one of the most significant figures in the nineteenth century American Catholic Church: Fr. Michael McGivney founded the Knights of Columbus, and the cause for his canonization was opened a few years ago in Rome. (For what it's worth, he seems genuinely to have been a holy man.) His father Patrick McGivney (b. 1825) emigrated from Cavan in 1849, and lived in Waterbury, Connecticut where he married Mary Lynch (likewise from Cavan). They had 12 children, seven of whom survived to adulthood. The first official biography of Fr. McGivney was published in 2006 ("Parish Priest: Father Michael McGivney and American Catholicism"), and steers clear of naming the Cavan parishes his parents came from. So I do not know if there is lingering uncertainty there. Fr. McGivney's youngest brother, John, became a priest himself, and ended up as the Parish priest to my family, baptizing my father and uncles.
So we have reason to be grateful to the McGivney clan! Again, best of luck with your Mary Ann.

Offline JustMee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 June 13 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
Many thanks for the information - firstly it was Mary Ellen (not Mary Ann, although Mary Ann is very common)  -   Yeah, all I had on certificates was Crosserlough - no town/village was mention.  I am sure she will pop up somewhere in the early records prior to 1843 . . . if only they had her parents name on the death certificate (1882) it could have made it a lot easier too.

J.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 June 13 17:06 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the RC parish records for Crosserlough only go back to around the time your Mary Ellen left the area in 1843...

see : Crosserlough RC parish (Irish Times)

Introduction to Irish Records
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline JustMee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 June 13 17:12 BST (UK) »
. . So, if i had her parents / or names of any siblings - it may have been possible to make a connection.   ah well, at least we know she came from the area - and that we have all we can gather of regarding her later life.

Offline Gilli48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 December 13 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I was pleased to see your post. My Great Grandmother was Bridget Givney of Mount Nugent, Cavan. Her father, John Givney, was born about 1820. I realise that your name had the mac- preceeding the givney but originally I think that they would have been one. 

My relatives live on the family farm still. Hope I can help.

Offline memaku

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 March 14 04:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone - I am new to searching the McGivney family and am not sure this is the right place to post as I'm also new to RootsChat.  Am looking for information on my grandmother Margaret M McGivney and her family.  I know she was born in 1889 (UK- Dewsbury, Yorkshire West Riding) and died in 1943 (US - Philadelphia, PA).  She had a brother James (b.1882/d.1925) and a sister Mary (b.1886).  Her mother was Mary (Malany?) - also born in the UK (1859), died in 1926 in the US.  This is where I'm hitting a brick wall.  I can't find any information on her husband, and am unsure about her last name...  I will also post a query in the UK forum.  Just wondering if any of this makes sense to anyone here. I remember hearing the surnames McLarnon and Dunn associated with this side as well.  Thanks so much!  Melinda from Florida

Offline Helen Carrick

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, Mary is my maternal gg grandmother She married in 1843 to Henry Smith - an English convict in Luskintyre NSW (near Maitland). She married George Collins  - another convict after Henry died; and then to Thomas Hammond. She was born around 1824 - not 1821. Happy to send further info. if needed. Helen from Brisbane, Queensland.

Offline Gilli48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen, thanks for your email re McGiveny/Givney. Your gggrandmother was quite a gal wasn't she? I think it would have been her parents that would be good to follow up.  I don't know where the original John Givney grew up. The only information we have is that he was in Co Cavan in 1840's when Griffiths Valuation was done. All the best.  Ann Marie from England