Author Topic: Edward Adkins Quaker Banbury  (Read 4429 times)

Offline marycecil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Adkins Quaker Banbury
« on: Saturday 15 June 13 08:01 BST (UK) »
My 5x-great-grandmother was Rachel Adkins who married John Jeffcotte (Jeffcoat) at Warwick in 1735.
Rachel was the daughter of Edward and Rachel Adkins and was born on 1st October 1710 in the Banbury district (this would be the Quaker meeting).

I don't have details of Edward and Rachel Adkin's marriage, but it he could be the child of Edward and Mary Adkins and have been born 10 November 1688, Banbury district.

I don't know exactly where the Adkins family lived.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Adkins Quaker Banbury
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 June 13 08:20 BST (UK) »
Are the marriages of Edward Adkins of Balscote that are listed in the Oxon Marriage Bonds yours?:-

http://www.whipple.org/oxford/2_alpha_by_grooms_names.pdf

If the Banbury Quaker Meeting Mintue book for that period still exists you should definitely read that as they can contain very detailed info about the lives of their congregation. See:-

http://www.quaker.org.uk/library

Offline marycecil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 June 13 08:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.

I've only just started investigating this line, and I don't know if there is any connection with the Balscote Adkins.  I have noted that there are several wills on Origins.net under Oxfordshire wills.

I had already looked at the Oxfordshire Marriage Bonds, but there are no marriages between an Edward and a Mary or a Rachel.

As Quakers, I assume my Adkins family would have gone to the Banbury meeting, but whether they lived in Banbury or outside I don't know.

I have already made contact with the library at the Society of Friends in Euston Road, and I might need to pay it a visit or go to the Oxfordshire History Centre.

I was wondering if any posters had access to Banbury Meeting data?

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 June 13 14:23 BST (UK) »
I had already looked at the Oxfordshire Marriage Bonds, but there are no marriages between an Edward and a Mary or a Rachel.

Who did the quaker Edward Adkins marry in 1684? Their marriage is listed on:-

http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/bmdr/results.php?fn=edward&sn=adkins&exact=no&event=All&all=1&all_set=1&st=s

Offline marycecil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 June 13 13:32 BST (UK) »
I shall probably pay a visit to Oxfordshire RO rather than look at the records on BMD registers as it is easy to go through a lot of money quickly there!
I have sent them an e-mail and hope to visit in the next week or so.