Author Topic: Clocaenog/Melin-y-Wig  (Read 16709 times)

Offline Rachel Bowen

• I am sorry but my email address has stopped working due to inactivity
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Clocaenog/Melin-y-Wig
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I don't know of a 'Lodge Uchaf', but There was a Ty Uchaf - meaning upper house. I don't remember seeing Lodge Uchaf on the ordnance Survey maps either. Our house, Ty Isaf was Lower House. Mrs Thomas lived in Ty Uchaf. I used to but my Christmas turkey from her. The name Ty Uchaf in speech gets shortened to Tuchaf - or even Tucha. Everyone called Mrs Thomas - Mrs Thomas Tycha - all one name. and we were Pook Tysa, or Pook Tisa, or just Tysa - as the house, built in 1642, was 'permanent', and we were transitory.
 There was as well, Ty Canol - middle house. The houses were named according to their position on the hillside. These three must have been the earliest ones built.
By the way, the Mrs Thomas I used to buy my turkey from was not a young woman, and I don't remember if there were any sons (or daughters for that matter) however if there were sons, the farm might well be in the same name. Try the telephone directory.
Sincerely,
Rachel Bowen
Hope this helps.

Offline eric

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thank you for any help
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your prompt respond to my query.I will check again to see if I have the right address.

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clocaenog chapel
« Reply #20 on: Monday 09 March 09 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Dear John Ashley, I lived in Ty Capel i.e. the chapel house which was right by the chapel in Clocaenog. That was in 1941 as an evacuee. The chapel was a very going concern then of course but has now been removed although the house is the same as ever. I last saw it a couple of years ago.

Mr. and Mrs. Evans who lived there then looked after the chapel and also the travelling ministers who often stayed overnight. It was quite small but well constructed and had an organ of course which was played by another Mr. Evans from Tan y Llan farm down the road.

The chapel was on the road going north from the church just on the edge of the village. I have a photo of the house  but there is just a blank wall where the chapel was. If I can help with info I will be glad to. Yours Alan Williams.
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Offline john ashley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alan Williams - so pleased to have your message regarding the Chapel at Clocaenog - My family is believed to have donated the lights at this chaplel and I have been trying to find a history or someone who has the knowledge I am in my 80th year and guess you are not far behind. Any further information will be appreciated.John.
Census Information is Crown Copyright,from Nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ros Moruzzi

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Following a career in lab technology, then Special Education, I turned to writing- from educational reports to fiction! 8 one-act comedies and one full length play published by Cressrelles, UK. A new play (Just the Two of Us) published by Samuel French, L
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 28 March 14 21:42 GMT (UK) »
I came across this Melin-y-wig correspondence by accident. We became friends with Gwil and Memna Roberts, a lovely couple, owners of Tai Teg Mawr, and Tai Teg Canol (which was for sale) in the early seventies. The latter was bought by a Peter Freeman who fell out with Gwil who responded by demolishing all the old stone outbuildings. We bought Tai Teg Isaf around 1976, from Mr Davies, whose wife had died. He moved to Ruthin. It came with outbuildings and a rough pasture. We found from the old deeds that the house had had a very sad history, with generations of deaths recorded. I'm afraid that it never felt like a happy house. Even though we loved the valley and surroundings, we sold it on in 1985. A lady who kept huskie dogs bought it, and sold it quite recently to a young couple who have refurbished it and seem very happy there. Tai Teg Mawr, a large sheep and then cattle farm, was owned for many generations by the Roberts family. Their older son Glyn and his family have now taken over the farm.

Offline john ashley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 29 March 14 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello - So pleased to receive this update as I started this subject in 2005 and it has been read over 5000 times !!!
So many interesting people have lived in these properties which have such an exciting history The post today adds to this and I am still trying to find a history of the chapel which would almost certainly answer my original query.

The present owner and farmer - Gwil - is a distant relation but to the best of my knowledge we have never met. Please keep the subject going as one day I will learn who provided and paid for the first lights in this chapel.  Many thanks  -   Dioch yn Fawr  -   John Ashley.
Census Information is Crown Copyright,from Nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cathy Devitt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 19 May 16 11:10 BST (UK) »
  message removed. Posted in error

Offline Karen coope

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 01 January 22 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi John, came across this chat as I was trying to research some history regarding the house we moved to this year Glandwr, which is just opposite  to the side of Ty capel, the house is still standing, but only just. I believe it has now been bought, but has not been lived in for many years. If you want I can take a photo of the outside of it and send it to you. It is very overgrown, not sure what is going to happen to it, but I see the farmer who has bought it now and again so could ask