Author Topic: Tommy Reeves Orphaned at 5  (Read 5074 times)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tommy Reeves Orphaned at 5 and Missing death records for Parents
« Reply #18 on: Monday 31 August 20 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hello again. After many years i have returned to this subject and thought I would do an update . But unfortunately i am  no further forward in finding the death records for Walter Edward Reeves b 1863 and his wife Mary Ann b 1861 mentioned in earlier posts.

Their last child Florence Mary Reeves  ( Florrie) and  sister to Tommy was born 7/2/1898 ( date taken from 1939 record)   . But what happened over the next 2 years ? was their a bad Flu outbreak ?
I ask as their  parents are not on the 1901 census and as earlier  posts here explain by 1901 the 8 children have been split up and listed as Boarding in a number of homes . Only one Florrie in 1911 appears to be with a relative (on the material side) --a great  Uncle and Aunt John and Sophia Kimber in Bradford on Avon.  Unfortunately her GUncle dies July 1912 and his wife in 1914 so at age 15 Florrie is orphaned again.

You were correct Janey in saying Florrie married twice--first to William G R Marsh with whom she had a son . Her husband William  died 4/8/1945. Florrie remarried as you suggested 3/9/1951 to Frank J Long who died 1963 Trowbridge. Florrie was mentioned in her sister Elsies ( now Reece) will as having the surname  Long.

Still seeking  leads on the death of this family's parents --Walter Edward Reeves and Mary Ann Reeves . Completely stumped as to why i am unable to find any records and hoping someone may manage to knock holes in this brick wall.

Many Thanks.

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tommy Reeves Orphaned at 5
« Reply #19 on: Monday 31 August 20 16:22 BST (UK) »
 I have just gone back and looked at the address given  on the Baptism records in 28 may 1896 for Thomas .Lily and Walter Edmund and on 10 March 1889 for Florence Mary and notice that it was no longer The Causeway in Chippenham  but says Union House.
So does this mean the family was living in the Work House ?  A little confused as when have looked up information on line it suggest that new buildings used in Lacock and else were .
If it was the workhouse would the records still survive .