Author Topic: Tommy Reeves Orphaned at 5  (Read 5058 times)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tommy Reeves Orphaned at 5
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 June 13 12:21 BST (UK) »
Just an update. Looked at the 1901/11 Bradford Census and while there is a Walter E Reeves he was born London.
Convinced the W .E . Reeves I am looking for stayed in Chippenham area.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 June 13 14:49 BST (UK) »
Yes you're probably right and that was a different Walter but where on earth are the deaths for your couple  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 03:40 BST (UK) »
For searching purposes, can I just compile the dates / places of birth for the various parties
-- 91, 01 and 11 mean they are accounted for in those censuses:

Walter Edward Reeves Q3 1863 Bath -- 91 (Waller* in 1871)
Mary Ann Mitchell (c1866 Chippenham per 1891 census) - Q4 1861 Chippenham -- 91

Alice Mabel Reeves Q3 1887 Chippenham -- 91, 01 (in Hardenhuish), 11 (Nurcombe) (married as Reaves**)
Elsie Reeves Q1 1889 Chippenham -- 91
Walter Edmund Reeves Q4 1890 Chippenham -- 91, 01, 11
Lily Reeves Q1 1892 Chippenham ?? - christened 1896 Chippenham
Daisy Lottie Reeves Q4 1894 Chippenham -- 01 (Littie*), 11
Thomas Reeves Q1 1896 Chippenham -- 01 (Tommy*)
Florence Mary Reeves Q1 1898 Chippenham -- 01 (Reecer*) (in Bradford on Avon), 11 (Florrie*)

The errors/variants shown are at *Ancestry / **FreeBMD. It is an excellent idea to make corrections, or just add middle names and the like, on records at Ancestry, and to add postems to records at FreeBMD giving an email address, so anyone who searches for them in future can find them / contact you. Speaking of which, do you know the person who has made the correction to the Nurcombes in '11?

A Walter E Reeves died in December 1955 in Maidstone, aged 64 -- a match if Walter was born later in December 1890. (But a Walter Ewart Reeves was born 1890 Croydon.)

So having done that and used the info for searching -- not much luck (but an amazing amount of time spent!).

WWI is always a possibility for the boys, but I could not match any deaths at CWGC (some death records have too little detail to match with). There is always emigration. ;)

Alice Nurcombe born c1890 died aged 84 in Chippenham in 1874, as noted earlier.
Unfortunately, there appear to have been no births to that marriage (with mother's name either Reeves or Reaves).

... Well, checking on-line trees is always useful and how often do I wish I had done it first ...

One that I am looking at at www.mundia.com (it mirrors all Ancestry trees and is free of charge to register, search and send messages) has Alice's marriage and also
- Lily's marriage to Edward William Latham 1935 Belfast and death 1990 Saintfield, NI
- Florence's to James Wesley Ritcey born 1893 in Nova Scotia -- it says he was resident in Joliet Illinois in 1940 and she died in 1972 ...

Here is JW Ritcy's birth
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KMLR-ZQV
Here is wife Florence's alleged 1940 US census record in Joliet Illinois:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KWTM-YSD
showing her as Florence L Ritcy born 1909 in Pennsylvania and him as born in 1902 in Canada.

This would seem to be the actual marriage of the James W Ritcey born in NS, to Theredasa Harpwell in 1921 in NS:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KMLY-WJC
although it's hard to tell because the names James and Wesley Ritcey seem to have been quite popular in Nova Scotia.

In any event, I think we can dismiss that tree as complete nonsense. That's why I don't look at on-line trees first. ;) Unless there is any truth to the info about Lily Reeves. One could always send an enquiry!

The tree also refers to son Walter Edmund as aka Edward and says he was baptised in 1896.

Do we have a batch baptism in 1896 then? In my own tree, I have wondered whether a particular batch baptism (4 children shortly after the birth of the last of them, but not including older children) was an effort to put a stamp on a paternity assertion -- that at least some of them were not in fact the husband's children. I have wondered whether something like that was happening here, in fact -- whether any of the younger children were not Walter Sr's.

Alice 1887 & Elsie 1889 were baptised as infants.
Did the parents separate shortly after the 1891 census when Walter was not yet baptised, mother Mary Ann had more children and registered them as Reeves (as the law required, and perhaps for propriety), and baptised several together in 1896?

One thing that could mean would be that Mary Ann's death, whenever it was, might well be recorded under the name of her new partner, even absent a marriage.

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Little Ray Ray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 December 13 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am new to this site, however I picked it up from google when I was searching for my family history.

I am the great-granddaughter of Tommy Reeves and I am trying to trace my roots further.

I know nothing of what happened to his parents at the moment as I am just starting out.

Their Eldest Child Alice Mabel Reeves Born 25th June 1887 in chippenham, wiltshire
married William C Nurcombe 27th aug 1910
died 1974 in chippenham

Elsie Reeves born feb 1889
I believe she may have gone to a children's home, however this may not be her (I am still looking into this. The Elsie reeves trained as a Mental Health nurse and is registered at the asylum as a nurse at the age 22.
Elsie Married Phillip W Reece July 1914 in Bristol

Walter E Reeves  Born 1890
died in kent dec 1955 aged 64

I believe there was an elizabeth reeves born 1891 died 1901

lily reeves 1892
1911 she lived in bristol as a servant
Married edward Latham 1935 in belfast
lived in northern ireland
died 1990 saintfield, NI

Daisy Lottie Reeves born 6 Nov 1894
Chippenahm, Wiltshire, England
Baptism 8 Dec 1894 Chippenham, Wiltshire, England
Residence in 1901
North Wraxall, Wiltshire, England Age: 6; Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Bath, Somerset, England
Age: 16; Marital Status: Single; Relation to Head of House: Domestic
Marriage March 1922 Age: 27
Chipping Sudbury, Gloucestershire
to William M Brown

Thomas Reeves born 1895
Chippenham, Wiltshire, England
Baptism 28 May 1896 Age: 1
Chippenham, Wiltshire, England
Residence 1911
North Wraxhall, Wiltshire, England
Age: 15; Marital Status: Single; Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Married Caroline Edith Follows south stoneham, hampshire 1920
Died june 1958 Age: 63
Cannock, Staffordshire, England

Florence Mary Reeves Born 1898

This is as far as I have got.
These are my family from wiltshire and it sounds like the family you are researching.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 December 13 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome Ray! If you add two more posts here (just can just say hello, thanks ...) you will be able to use the private messaging system and try to reach tempogold directly too, maybe. Now at least Tommy's later life is known from your post.

If you look at the summary list I posted above, you can find Florence in 1911 as Florrie - posting 1911 details here is not permitted but you can find her easily at a subscription site. Some details are here:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X72P-5DW

This seems to be the relevant marriage of her aunt and uncle (?):

Marriages Sep 1886   
HERRING    Sophia         Bath    5c   941    
Kimber    John         Bath    5c   941

in 1871
Sophia Herring, 40 (c1831), born Upton, Hampshire, husband James
living in Bradford on Avon

so

Marriages Jun 1866   
HERRING    James         Winchester    2c   178    
Kimber    Sophia         Winchester    2c   178

bringing us weirdly full circle with no indication of a relationship on her side. Also no marriage of a John Kimber to a Reeves or Mitchell.

This could be her marriage

Marriages Sep 1922   
MARSH    William G R    Reeves    Bradford-on-A.    5a   336    
REEVES    Florence M    Marsh    Bradford-on-A.    5a   336

William was born 1899, died 1945 in Winchester. There is a 1923 birth in Hampshire that could be theirs; that child married in Trowbridge and died in 2003 in Cornwall, but I don't see any births. The wife could have been a young war widow.

If that is Florence's marriage, I think she remarried in 1951 in Trowbridge; Florence Mary Long born Feb 1898 died in 1970 in Trowbridge.

I'm sure you agree at least that the tale in that online tree of Florence marrying someone in the US was completely off the wall (three cheers for Anc'y "hints" I imagine). I wonder whether tempogold ever contacted that person.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Little Ray Ray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 December 13 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the hints x x x

Offline Little Ray Ray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 December 13 14:55 GMT (UK) »
 :D

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 December 13 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Very many thanks Janey for all  your  hard work. Somehow I missed your earlier post. Updated my tree with regard Florence. Info on Lily is correct as she was my Grandmother .As it happens have made contact with Little Ray Ray through another route and we may yet solve things. Again many thanks for the leads.
Tempogold

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 December 13 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Glad to hear you're in touch, and happy to help!