Author Topic: Alverdissen, Germany, birth/baptismal  (Read 1061 times)

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Alverdissen, Germany, birth/baptismal
« on: Thursday 20 June 13 00:17 BST (UK) »
Hello, Looking for help in tracking down a birth/baptismal record of my 3xgf, Frederick John George Burghart (presume that christian names were anglicised) but surname, as spelt, is a relatively common German surname.

According to his application, in 1830, for permanent residency in England, he stated that he arrived into the country in 1806 (though I haven't found a record to confirm this) and was from the small village of Alverdissen (now in present day German State of Nordrhein-Westfalen)

Have tracked him on 1841 and 1851 English census records (along with heaps of very interesting info during his life in England) which unfortunately gives conflicting information as to the approx year of his birth.  He died in 1853 and his age shown as 74 years of age though I feel he was more likely to have been in his late 60's.

Over the years I have made contact with the Church in Alverdissen and obtained microfiche records from Family Search etc., etc., plus other family members have made searches too but unfortunately we keep on hitting the proverbial 'brick wall'

Thanks any assistance. Bonnie

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alverdissen, Germany, birth/baptismal
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 June 13 13:02 BST (UK) »
Ages in the 1841 should be rounded down to the nearest 5 years for adults, so take that into account.

Which church records did you get hold of from Family Search, and what did you find there - e.g. were there Burgharts (or spelling variants) in the area?  Families that used the same names as Frederick used for his kids?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 June 13 02:12 BST (UK) »
Many thanks your reply. 
C1841 has Frederick aged 59 years, and C1851 shows him 60 years of age  ???

Obtained church microfiche records, via Family Search, of Alverdissen which were really difficult to read.  Also had a researcher from FS in Utah look at same.  The surname Burghart appears spelt sometime with a 'd' or a 't' but again it is very difficult to distinguish. Other spellings were BORCHARD  BURCHARD.  Christian names were Gottried, Friedrich, Johann, Wilhelm. 

Back in 2008 I was told by distant family members  that they visited the Church in Alverdissen and found from the church records that Frederick was born in 1791 and his father was a solider in the local 'schloss' (sic).  However, they didn't supply any documentation nor the actual date of birth/baptism, and since being given that information, they haven't made contact since.   Some months later I contacted the Church and was told they held no such records  ???

So, if born in 1791 he would have been 62 when he died, (and not 74 as shown on D.C.) however that would also nearly matched the age of 60 shown on C1851.  If going on C1841 age, he would have been born about 1772 and therefore about 81 years when he passed away.

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 January 14 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am re-posting my request as I still am no closer to finding baptismal (nor arrival details into England) for my 3xggf

I am wondering if anyone on RC lives near Alverdissen and would be kind enough, on my behalf, contact the appropriate authorities to ascertain where records are held and advise an email and contact name.  As previously mentioned, the Church doesn't not have them. 

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Offline amelia.byers

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick J G Burghart
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am researching my family tree and i noticed your post about Frederick John George Burghart. He is my 5th great- grandfather. As you know Frederick John George Burghart was born in 1779 in Alverdissen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.He married his first wife Sarah Burghart in 1810 in England. I wondered if you knew anything more about how he came to live in England?

I have lots more information about his life, work, and children etc if you are interested i could share. 

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick J G Burghart
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 02:45 BST (UK) »
You need to reply to the original message,not start another thread.
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 03:07 BST (UK) »
Hello amelia.byers and welcome to RootsChat.

As warncoort has said, best to reply to the original thread, possibly this one?
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651051.msg4974824#msg4974824

I'm sure BonnieDownUnder will be pleased to reply.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 03:08 BST (UK) »
Welcome Amelia

Rootschat is the best place to help with family history quests.   I will click on the report to moderator button and ask one of our volunteer moderators to check and consider moving your post to the thread I have linked here :

Threads merged. as well as the one Maddy has found too. 

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 June 20 03:57 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all for merging messages, appreciated.

Hello Tracey and welcome to RootsChat

We have connected on Ancestry and have sent you a PM via this site and a link to the family tree.

Please be careful of what information you have sourced from other sites/family trees - a lot of info is just 'hear-say' and hasn't been verified.

Look forward to working with you and are happy to share information that I have.

Regards Bonnie