Author Topic: "Lightbody" family in Bangor, Co.Down, Northern Ireland - any ideas about that?  (Read 28399 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Lightbody" family in Bangor, Co.Down, Northern Ireland - any ideas about that?
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 01 February 14 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Last one  :)

John Lightbody (c1832-1882), son of William, m.(14 May 1855 Bangor) Agnes/Nancy M. McMillan (c1837-1917), dau. of Hugh
Bangor Abbey: Erected by Agnes Lightbody, Ballyree, in mem. of her husband John Lightbody, who d. June 4 1882 aged 50. Also Agnes, wife of above John L. who d. Feb.26 1917 aged 80. Also Madge, Dau. of James & Matilda Lightbody, who d. Sept. 10 1918 aged 17 months. Also the above James Lightbody who d. Nov. 8 1960 aged 86. Also Matilda, wife of above James, who d. May 27 1964 aged 85.
http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=25&p=surnames.lightbody
1.   Hugh Lightbody (27 Sept.1866 Ballyree)
        Birth: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FPSZ-PD7
2.   William John Lightbody (4 July 1869 Bangor)
        Birth: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F57H-24R
3.   James Lightbody (3 Dec.1874-1960) m. Matilda (c1879-1964)
        Birth: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FPM1-7JK
        1.   Madge Lightbody (1917-1918)

This looks like John's widow in 1901 census- if so there was also a daughter Margaret-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/St__George_s_Ward_Belfast/Boyne_Square/954600

(see next post)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Lightbody" family in Bangor, Co.Down, Northern Ireland - any ideas about that?
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 01 February 14 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Further research has established that Margaret's marriage lists her father as John-

Margaret Lightbody (c1871-1947) , dau. of John & Agnes, m.(1896 Belfast) Charles Forrester  (c1877 Scotland-1947)
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/St__George_s_Ward_Belfast/Boyne_Square/954600
1907 directory- Forrester, Charles, iron turner, 72 Britannic Street
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/St__George_s/Glenariffe_Street/155421
Belfast City Cemetery- Glenalina Extension (Y 71): Margaret Forrester, 39 Fortuna Ave., age 76, died 18 May 1947, buried 20 May 1947. Charles Forrester, 132 Donegall Ave., age 71, died 16 Oct.1947 City Hospital, buried 18 Oct.1947.
1.   stillborn child (1897)
        Belfast City Cemetery (public ground): stillborn child of Charles & Margt Forrester, 61 Boyne Sq., buried 1 Nov.1897.
2.   James Forrester (c1899 Co.Antrim)
3.   Richard Forrester (1901-10 Apr.1903).
        Belfast City Cemetery (public ground): Richard Forrester, 81 Britannic St., aged 20 months, died 10 Apr.1903, buried 12 Apr.1903.
4.   Agnes Forrester (1904-14 July 1904)
        Belfast City Cemetery (public ground): Agnes Forrester, 81 Britannic St., aged 5 months, died 14 July 1904, buried 16 July 1904.
5.   William Forrester (c1906 Co.Antrim)
6.   Margaret Forrester (1908-14 Mar.1908)
        Belfast City Cemetery (public ground): Margt Forrester, 72 Britannic St., aged 7 weeks, died 14 Mar.1908, buried 16 Mar.1908.
7.   Charles Forrester (c1909 Belfast-6 Oct.1911)
        Belfast City Cemetery (public ground): Charles Forrester, 31 Glenariff St., age 2, died 6 Oct.1911, buried 7 Oct.1911.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline thegabriel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 02 February 14 04:52 GMT (UK) »
I tried to post this yesterday and it would not work. So this post is regarding things just before aghadowey posted a whole bunch of Lightbody info.

Thanks so much to aghadowey for posting that information - especially the Roll Of Honour list, I have never seen that and that Andrew Savage is my gr-grandfather - so it really does mean a lot to me to now have that picture of his name on the Roll Of Honour in that church. Thanks again!

In reference to that Roll Of Honour list,
from Proni when searching the Ulster Covenant

1912 Ulster Covenant

Savage   Andrew      Castle Square Bangor   Down: North   Bangor   Orange Hall   
Savage   David   16 Castle Square    Down: North   Bangor   Trinity Church
Savage   Mary   16 Castle Square    Down: North   Bangor   House To House   
Savage   Sarah   16 Castle Square    Down: North   Bangor   House To House   

Father David and Mother Mary and adult children Andrew and Sarah lived at 62 Castle Square on the 1911 Census. The son David we have referred to on this post was only 14 in 1912, so he would not have signed the petition.

And as aghadowey listed above, Andrew and David Savage of 16 Castle Square are on the Roll of Honour at Trinty Presbyterian Church.

And here are Gordon's that come up on a search of the
1912 Ulster Covenant
Gordon Agnes Jane30 Castle Square    Down: North   Bangor   House To House   
Gordon   Nellie   30 Castle Square Bangor   Down: North   Bangor   Guild Hall   
Gordon   Sam   30 Castle Square    Down: North   Bangor   House To House   
Gordon   Sarah   52 Castle Square    Down: North   Bangor   House To House

Agnes Jane, Nellie, & Sam lived at 64 in Castle Street on the 1911 Census
(with Ethel and Isa)
and Sarah Gordon was at 52 Castle Sq. on the 1911 Census.

Also note that 30 Castle Square is the address for David Savage moving to Canada and then returning to Bangor the same year.

If you havn't already, you can look that up on Proni and see the signatures of your ancestors.

Offline Janet.h.2013

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 17 April 14 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Aghadowey.  I'm really amazed to find your post.  I am also researching James Hamilton Savage.   I believe him to be the son of the woman who took my mother and her older sister in when their mother couldn't afford to look after them.  Was his father Samuel Savage and his mother Christina Peters.  They lived in Grays Hill, Bangor.  James Hamilton's mother (if she is the same person) was my mother's aunt.  I had actually called into a local cemetery today to see if any of the Savages were buried there but it was too big to find a single grave. That's how much of a coincidence this is.  Conlig.

Offline Janet.h.2013

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 17 April 14 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hello again.  I think I may have made a mistake.  I have James Hamilton as son of Samuel and Christina but his birth date isn't right.  Samuel and Christina did have a son called James.  However, I have just read his Will again and Samuel makes his brother James H Savage Builder his Trustee.  I have him in my tree as his son.  That would make him the brother-in-law of my mother's aunt.  Complicated isn't it.  Does this sound right now?  Conlig ???

Offline DaveBreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Probably a bit late to this thread but only stumbled across it!

William James Lightbody was my Grandfather.  Unfortunately I never got to meet him as I was born in 1966. 

William James Lightbody married Mary Jane McArdle (my Granny May) in Bangor (not sure of the date!). My Grandmothers origins are from the Derrylin area of Fermanagh.

They had four children:
Anne Marie (Breen) my Mother. DOB 22/02/1941 - Died 07/06/2011
Two sons and a daughter (still living) 
[Moderator Comment: Names of living people removed in accordance to the privacy policy]

George Gordon, I know off you but not personally, but I know you knew my Mother Anne well. I remember as a child visiting Edith with my mother at her (your) house in Castle Square circa early 70's. I remember your mother was very welcoming and the open fire was well alight. :)

Its been so interesting reading about my Grandfather and his side of the family. I knew he served in the Navy but no real details but all this other information as been fantastic to read some I know of and some I never knew.

Regards
Dave

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 17:17 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

William James Lightbody married Mary Jane McArdle (my Granny May) in Bangor (not sure of the date!).

From https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

William Lightbody   McArdel   30th September 1940       North Down

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline DaveBreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 26 November 20 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi KG,

Thanks for that info. :)

Dave

Offline Alex loghtbody

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi my name is Alex Lightbody ,my father was James Alexander lightbody and my mother was Clara Phyllis lightbody ....... originally my father was from conlig  and my mother Londonderry . We lived at 1 bingham street in Bangor for over 20 years prior to my mother's death ...I had three brothers and a sister  Jim Rodney Robert and Cynthia .....my brother Jim died in Canada in 1977 whilst serving with the Irish guards ,my brother Rodney died in Gibraltar an and served with the royal Irish rifles  my sister Cynthia moved to Devon when I was a small boy and my other brother lives in Bangor  today .... My late father served with the RAF in WW2. and my mother served in the ATS  ......my grand mother Mary lightbody lived in conlig Until her death   not sure of my wider lightbody connections and would be grateful to here from anyone who new of my family from either conlig newtownards or Bangor