Author Topic: Warley and James Families  (Read 2298 times)

Offline 03jmain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Warley and James Families
« on: Monday 24 June 13 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, im looking for information on my great grandfathers mother Margaret may james. i have attached a shot of my tree on ancestry to illustrate..

Someone on here told me to get a copy of my great grandfathers birth certificate to find her name, which i did but havent gotten very far with it...

can anyone help me or point me in the right direction?

James

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Warley and James Families
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 June 13 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

the marriage certificate would be a good idea - as that would give father's name and occupation (unless illegit of course) and sometimes witnesses can give further clues as they could be related.

There is this death reg
Margaret May Warley
Dec qtr 1931
age 36
Plympton Devon
5b 282
so if the death reg is hers we now have an approx y.o.b. for her
Marriage reg
Jun qtr 1912
5b 508
on same page
Alfred H Warley
Margaret M James

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 00:06 BST (UK) »
there is a birth reg for
Maggie May James
Jun qtr 1895
Plympton St Mary
Devon
5b 197

Maggie lived in Brixton and Alfred Henry Warley was a farm servant in Brixton -so maybe???

If we have correct people Margaret/Maggie would be 16/17 when she married ???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 00:08 BST (UK) »
I clicked to post and saw your new post Suz -- I was just about to say there were 3 pages in the previous thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,635898.msg4842643.html#msg4842643

including the info that she was MAGGIE MAY JAMES which hasn't been mentioned here ...

This is why it is recommended that posts be added to existing threads, rather than starting new ones.  ;)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline 03jmain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 00:10 BST (UK) »
I clicked to post and saw your new post Suz -- I was just about to say there were 3 pages in the previous thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,635898.msg4842643.html#msg4842643

including the info that she was MAGGIE MAY JAMES which hasn't been mentioned here ...

This is why it is recommended that posts be added to existing threads, rather than starting new ones.  ;)

Thanks, i couldnt find my last post - and i have found her listed as maggie and margaret, so i assumed maggie was like a nickname?

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 00:22 BST (UK) »
I hadn't checked for previous posts -  but at least we all seem to be coming up with the same names

Suz

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 00:26 BST (UK) »
You want to follow the info people post more closely!

(edit - not you, suz. ;) I was in the previous thread so once I found it, I remembered it well.)

The birth registration info has been posted (in your previous thread) -- MAGGIE MAY JAMES 1895 Brixton.

It would be the other way around: either she thought Maggie was a nickname so married as Margaret, or she thought Maggie was too "common" so married as Margaret.

(That was very common around that time: my grandmother was Lily but my grandfather insisted she call herself Lilian. I once found someone's grandmother who married as Kathleen Marion being born as plain Kate Mary. Young women of the day seem to have "upped" their names quite often.)

You have Ancestry access -- just look at Alfred Henry Warley and Maggie May James in 1911.
(This wasn't a request for 1911 info and 03mainj does have a personal sub to use to find this info, so I don't see a problem with mentioning it.)

They are living mere doors away from each other in Brixton.
They are both in district no. 275; she is in household 30 and he is in household 57.

There can't be much question but that they are the people who married in 1912.

To find your earlier posts, just go to your profile, btw. Or do a simple search of the site for the names, for instance. It really does help other members to have the info that others previously worked to find, and not do it over again!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 08:17 BST (UK) »
Maggie May JAMES was baptised at Brixton 28 Apr 1895 dau of Thomas (labourer) and Mary of Brixton.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates