Author Topic: Robert Rutherford of Jedburgh missing after 1861  (Read 5137 times)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Rutherford of Jedburgh missing after 1861
« on: Tuesday 25 June 13 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hello
Just wondering if anyone can help find Robert Rutherford after 1861?
Robert was born around 1840 in Jedburgh. His occupation on 1851 census was wool slubber, and he was visiting the Christie family in Duckrow Jedburgh.
In 31 Jan 1862 he married Isabella Aitkins in Jedburgh aged 21 years. Again- he was a wool slubber.
Isabella Rutherford appears on 1871, 1881 and 1891 census with her Aitkin siblings. No sign of husband Robert.
Her brother Robert Aitkin, named one of his children Rutherford.

I am not sure if Robert Rutherford was away each census due to work? Or if he had died by 1871?

I cannot find any sign of children to the marriage, so this does not help determine what happened to Robert.

If anyone can help locate him/what became of him, I would be very grateful!!
Many thanks
Kylie

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Rutherford of Jedburgh missing after 1861
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 14:53 BST (UK) »
I doubt that this will  help in your research but it may be of interest to you that  John Rutherford, a mason, known as "Jethard Jock" (Jethard being colloquial for Jedburgh) was the "husband" of Esther Faa Blythe, the Gypsy Queen. This would be in the mid-19th century.

IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just a thought. If you locate Isabella's actual census record for 1871 on Scotland's People it should indicate if she was married or a widow. If widowed that would narrow down the period to search for Robert's death.

Good luck with your search

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 July 13 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie,

There is a Robert Rutherford working as a draper's assistant in Stirling in 1861.   This may be him as he is just a lodger.   Funnily enough of of the other lodgers is a John Aitken (Different spelling I know but you never know. :)

Brina

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
THanks for the advice and tips- I have found the actual census images on Scotlands People, and the 1871 census shows Isabella as a widow- so Robert Rutherford must have died between 1862 and 1871. I havnt found a death or probate for him as yet.

Sadly another sister was widowed early in her marriage too- Jane Aitkin, Isabella's sister, married Walter Innes in 1876 and he died in 1878.

Isabella had siblings called Robert, Jane and Margaret- no John that I can see, but she did have a cousin John...he might be the one with Robert Rutherford in Stirling if that is the right man?

THanks for your help!
Kylie

Offline Darsy Sparrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 May 15 03:18 BST (UK) »
delelted