Author Topic: where would he have been sent?  (Read 5453 times)

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
where would he have been sent?
« on: Tuesday 25 June 13 16:35 BST (UK) »
help needed please. my great grandfather harry hulett joined the 17th foot 3 times, 1890 1892 1899. i know he was in the boer war in 1899,but  know nothing abt the other times. the 1890 paper says he was called up on mobilisation of reserve but thats all. i know at that tine there were the peninsula , indian and african wars and would like to know where he went. any help gratefully received.

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
Re: where would he have been sent?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 16:41 BST (UK) »
I've kept this for years now - no doubt its incomplete ... no major activity in 1890/92 tho - maybe Garrison duties somewhere ...

1803-1815 War with France (Napoleonic Wars) - including the Peninsula War

1854-6 Crimean War

1857-8 2nd Opium War

1860-1862 CHINA TAIPING REBELLION

1860-1866 2-3RD MAORI WARS NEW ZEALAND

1879 Zulu War

1880-81 1st Boer War

1896-7 Sudan

1899-1902 2nd Boer War

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 17:37 BST (UK) »
It was a quiet period for our army until the Boer War. Mostly troops were on garrison duties. There was a joint Anglo-Egyptian campaign into the Sudan under Kitchener but I don't think the Leicesters were involved. We would have had garrisons in India, Malta, Canada [Nova Scotia] and particularly in Ireland.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 17:38 BST (UK) »
I have found three sets of papers on Findmypast and they are all for the Militia. These were part-timers who served 6-8 weeks a year. In all there are about six regimental numbers quoted. I could not find the set for 1890 so a link to these would be useful.

There is a medal record for the Kings South Africa medal for the Boer war. On this he is 6671 in the 1st Battalion - who were Regular soldiers. So there is a missing record for him switching from the Militia to the Regulars. This may have been just for the duration of the Boer War or for longer. So do you know what he was doing, say up to 1906-7?

You received the KSA for serving 18 months in South Africa including 1901 and 1902. He also would have received the Queens South Africa medal. I cannot find this on Ancestry. The clasps on the QSA are very useful in telling when he arrived in SA and if he took part in the early set battles, or just the later guerrilla warfare

Also, one of the Militia papers has 'Northamptonshire Regt' in red in the top LH corner. So was this his first regiment in 1890?

He would not have served overseas before the Boer War while he was in the Militia.

Ken

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 18:16 BST (UK) »
There is an O Hammond with Hulett's number of 6671 on the QSA medal roll. So there is a problem somewhere. One of the numbers on the Militia papers is 6671, so we can assume that Hulett was 6671.has

http://tinyurl.com/oxhsbe2

Numbers around 6671 include men in a Volunteer Company who would be Militia and other Volunteers joining the Regulars. Most of these would have joined for a year. So Hulett would have decided to stay on.

Ken

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 18:33 BST (UK) »
such kindness and a wealth of information! thankyou so much lostris,hackstaple and ken im indebted to you all. all i know abt harry in the boer war is his enlistment number suggests he enrolled probably just after ladysmith.      i have no idea abt northants but his number for 1890 is 394 and thats all i know. harry was in the boot and shoe trade and later the railway so probably the shoe trade in 1906. thankyou all

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 18:57 BST (UK) »
Since he was in a Volunteer Company I think we can assume he left the army after the Boer War. The clasps on 'Hammond's' QSA are for Laing Nek and Belfast which were set piece battles in June and August 1900, a few month's after the relief of Ladysmith (28 February 1900).

Ken

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 18:57 BST (UK) »
thankyou once again ken. thats certainly strange having another name for his number, however he must have received it as he is wearing two medals in the photo i have. i have never had so much information about him im very grateful ken thankyou. think i should my other grandad now he was a lifetime soldier

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 19:03 BST (UK) »
thankyou ken i wondered if he was at the battle of belfast but i had no idea abt the other one.