Author Topic: Cancelling a Subscription to 'Find my Past' anyone?  (Read 21576 times)

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cancelling a Subscription to 'Find my Past' anyone?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 30 June 13 14:24 BST (UK) »
Groom, the name the enumerator wrote wasn't the correct spelling and therefore the transcription was totally wrong. My correction bore no relation to the enumerator's version and they said they had to reflect what he had written and not the name I knew to be true!! Ancestry accepted my explanation and they give it as an alternative.
rayard.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 30 June 13 14:34 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD apply the same rule i.e.  If the error is in the Index, we will NOT be able to apply your correction. It is NOT possible to change an entry to be the same as data from Census, IGI, Certificate, Family Bible, etc. This is because entries are recorded as they appear in the GRO Index.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 June 13 17:06 BST (UK) »
Groom, the name the enumerator wrote wasn't the correct spelling and therefore the transcription was totally wrong.
rayard.

On the contrary, if the transcription reflected what the enumerator had written then the transcription was totally correct. Or have I completely misunderstood?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 01 July 13 14:49 BST (UK) »
Groom, the name the enumerator wrote wasn't the correct spelling and therefore the transcription was totally wrong.
rayard.

On the contrary, if the transcription reflected what the enumerator had written then the transcription was totally correct. Or have I completely misunderstood?

Imber

Hi,
Imber  you are correct.
Having transcribed myself for various sites, as many, many of us do and have on here.
The transcription should be  word for word ,  exact spelling to what is written on the original. When you transcribe anything, you should transcribe it exactly  as to  what is written on that document that you are transcribing from - not what you know .

Free BMD is  usually very quick  to change the entry when you inform of them of the  transcription error

ancestry - you don't change their wrong or right  transcription, it's an alternative spelling (even if you use the transcription error tab, and not alternative) , which will come up in a search. Recent years the alternative names on Ancestry you have all sorts  where a submitter has put  their married name on a spinster or bachelor  , or what they think their name should be - it's not a transcription

kind Regards :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 01 July 13 22:09 BST (UK) »
Often records that I know to exist return a NIL result to searches, and the search facility itself seems cumbersome and non-user friendly.

Could you elaborate on that?

I've had a similar problem with their Welsh records, whereby they say they have them for a certain year range, but there will be sporadic transcription within those date, even though they have the images of the parish registers.

However, working in this realm I would point out that with millions of entries in documents that are generally in very bad condition there will be many mistranscriptions and omission. For example, FindMyPast have transcriptions of the Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society (MGS), who are in my expirience the most through of all transcribers. However, the new Welsh records at FindMyPast duplicate most of their work and have numerous entries that are not included by the MGS.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 15:57 BST (UK) »
Often records that I know to exist return a NIL result to searches, and the search facility itself seems cumbersome and non-user friendly.
Sometimes, FindMyPast returns zero when it has been overwhelmed by the number of results. It is worth narrowing down the results. Often, just limiting the search to "England" is enough to fix this.

We all have to learn how to use search facilities to their best. FindMyPast's search responds differently to Ancestry's. I still find Ancestry's "new" search returns poor results, apparently ignoring search terms, while their "old" search works well. Neither of Ancestry's searches times out except at times of extremely heavy demand. FindMyPast searches time out quite easily, with additional search terms actually reducing the chances of the search completing before the timeout deadline. When it times out, sometimes just resubmitting will work, because the data is now in the server's cache and can be processed quicker.

When submitting corrections, you should ALWAYS put down what appears on the original image, even when you know what it SHOULD say. Names DO change, no matter what people assume. One of the reasons I like the software I use is because it allows me to record the name as it appeared at various times.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline scamp1234

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have fallen for this program and have tried to unsubscribe.
They keep updating me.
I am going to cancel my bank payments

John

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 09 January 16 10:55 GMT (UK) »
There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

Go to your bank / credit card provider / whoever you pay through, and cancel the payment authority.

At renewal time, they will try to claim payment, and it will be refused.

They will send you a huffy e-mail saying that as your payment has failed they will cancel your membership.

Job done.

HOWEVER - I am still happy with FindMyPast, despite their move to the abominable "fuzzy logic" which ruins my carefully thought-out searching strategies. Your results that may be there not showing up on searhces may be due to an anomaly which I have identified. The data set which they call "England Births & Baptisms 1538 - 1975", and its counterparts for marriages and burials, does NOT appear to have had the location metadata properly entered. This has the result that if you specify a location in the relevant search field, ALL results from this data set are screened out. Once you are back into the seventeenth century, this is often the ONLY data set with the entry you are looking for. Result ... you have to do a search of the entire country and then sift the hits manually. It can be tedious ... but still not as tedious as wading through loads of microfiches of parish registers when you do not know which is the relevant parish ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline stupid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 05:16 GMT (UK) »
Tried to cancel subscription to FindMyPast only to find out that they will discontinue the automatic renewal but WILL NOT cancel the subscription myself - so.....I'm stuck with paying a year's membership fee for a site that provides no information.   Lots of hype about all the "new" information they have and when you search the search comes up with zero finds.   Have a feeling they will not be in business for very long.   Be smart and absolutely don't subscribe to the FindMyPast website - total waste of money and insult to my intelligence.