Author Topic: Cancelling a Subscription to 'Find my Past' anyone?  (Read 21591 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cancelling a Subscription to 'Find my Past' anyone?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 07:05 GMT (UK) »

Try phoning them to cancel, - it worked for me.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Tried to cancel subscription to FindMyPast only to find out that they will discontinue the automatic renewal but WILL NOT cancel the subscription myself - so.....I'm stuck with paying a year's membership fee for a site that provides no information.   Lots of hype about all the "new" information they have and when you search the search comes up with zero finds.   Have a feeling they will not be in business for very long.   Be smart and absolutely don't subscribe to the FindMyPast website - total waste of money and insult to my intelligence.

Are you trying to cancel the subscription when you’ve used the site, expecting them to return your money? If so, that obviously won’t happen, and is probably in their small print.

The site has been running for years and is one of the well respected ones. I’ve used FindMyPast for a long time and have never had any problems finding information. It takes time to get used to, so as they won’t refund your money, why not use the time to explore it properly, look at all their records by going into A-Z of records.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 09:19 GMT (UK) »
For what it's worth, I agree with groom: FindMyPast is a good site and I have always found it more user-friendly than Ancestry.  But I am perservering with Ancestry and getting to know its querks, and therefore getting more good results.  All the sites are different.  The Gene also has its peculiarities but again you have to get used to it and 'manipulate' it to get what you want.

Melbell

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 09:30 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Groom & Malbell. FindmyPast is a good respectable site.
I find with most sites the problem with getting no results is more often than not I have added too much information to the search.

I use the minimum amount of information first (perhaps just a name) then add more as required to reduce the number of returns.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Lots of hype about all the "new" information they have and when you search the search comes up with zero finds.   Have a feeling they will not be in business for very long.

They've been in business as FindMyPast for at least 10 years to my knowledge, and I believe they started some years before that but with a different name.  (Nothing sinister about that, by the way.  Whole countries have changed their names in recent years, as have I.)

It's impossible to respond to your complaint of 'zero finds' without having some clue as to what you expected to find.  Were you looking for English records, or Welsh, Scottish, Manx, Egyptian, Peruvian, Fijian, ............................................  ???

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline stupid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 13:04 GMT (UK) »

Thanks = I'll try that.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 13:21 GMT (UK) »
I have just had a quick look at this... and am.. to say the least 'shocked' 

I use this site DAILY every day ---- and find new information EVERYDAY

baptisms - marriages - deaths - wonderful wills - census - 1939 -  etc etc  and then there are the Newspapers... which are so exciting..

so are we looking at the same site.

xin

Online sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 19:24 GMT (UK) »
FindmyPast is a good site and used to be called 1837 online in 2001 but as records became more diverse they changed to FindMyPast they have problems sometimes as with all sites but at least they do respect their subscribers by giving them loyalty discounts.
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scamp1234

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 09:40 GMT (UK) »
I would just cancel the bank order