Author Topic: Cancelling a Subscription to 'Find my Past' anyone?  (Read 21595 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Cancelling a Subscription to 'Find my Past' anyone?
« on: Friday 28 June 13 16:34 BST (UK) »

Has anyone on here had any success in cancelling a subscription to the 'Find my Past' Site?

I took out a years sub to that Site last January, but have become increasingly dissatisfied with it. Often records that I know to exist return a NIL result to searches, and the search facility itself seems cumbersome and non-user friendly.

I tried to cancel my sub by email today, but had a reply saying that this cannot be done. I've had no problem cancelling subs to Ancestry, and had no idea that you couldn't cancell a sub that you weren't happy with on FindMyPast.

Has anyone on here ever managed to cancell a sub to FindMyPast?

Romilly ???
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cancelling a Subscription to 'Find my Past' anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 June 13 20:55 BST (UK) »
looking at their Terms & Conditions......it doesnt say you cant cancel only thing it says is it wont refund if you have looked at records.................have a read through them see if they help
sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 June 13 21:53 BST (UK) »

Hi sandiep,

Yes, - I've re-read it & there's nothing I can do. I'm just annoyed that I took it out in the first place now, - I certainly won't again.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 June 13 22:07 BST (UK) »
Don't forget what it says under terms and conditions " When you take out a subscription, it is on a continuous membership basis, meaning that your subscription will automatically renew unless you cancel it"  You need to make sure that you have turned it off by going into your account.

I suppose it depends what you are looking for as I really like FindMyPast and often find things there that I can't in Ancestry.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 June 13 22:14 BST (UK) »
must admit I find their search engine often finds things sooner than other sites..........but I think we do all find different ways of searching after a few years......I use either first or last names sometimes
and wildcards ......you have to get crafty ;D
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 June 13 23:05 BST (UK) »
must admit I find their search engine often finds things sooner than other sites..........but I think we do all find different ways of searching after a few years......I use either first or last names sometimes
and wildcards ......you have to get crafty ;D

Totally agree, as one who has always preferred this site to An*****y, other than possibly Marriages etc in London area, can you give any examples of  possible bad transcriptions of an ancestor?

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 June 13 14:45 BST (UK) »
I tried to cancel as I was unhappy with continual "time-outs" and no results, also with them saying they were too busy and I should come back later! I asked for refund of remaining six months and was told as I had used the site there was no refund.
I submitted an alternate to them and it was refused as it was totally different from the written copy, I knew I was right as he was a close relative appearing on other Census years too. Ancestry were pleased to accept my version.
rayard.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 June 13 15:21 BST (UK) »
I can understand them refusing a refund after you have used the site for a few months, otherwise they would have everybody doing the same. Before I join any new site I always take out a trial subscription or buy a few credits to make sure that it does what I need.

I tried to cancel as I was unhappy with continual "time-outs" and no results, also with them saying they were too busy and I should come back later!

I think you must have been very unlucky rayard, as I have never had this happen in all the years I have been using it. When you say the alternative that you submitted was totally different to the written copy, do you mean the transcription or the image? If it is the image they wont change it. I've submitted several alternatives to transcriptions and had them accepted.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 June 13 16:00 BST (UK) »

Has anyone on here had any success in cancelling a subscription to the 'Find my Past' Site?

I took out a years sub to that Site last January, but have become increasingly dissatisfied with it. Often records that I know to exist return a NIL result to searches, and the search facility itself seems cumbersome and non-user friendly.

I tried to cancel my sub by email today, but had a reply saying that this cannot be done. I've had no problem cancelling subs to Ancestry, and had no idea that you couldn't cancell a sub that you weren't happy with on FindMyPast.

Has anyone on here ever managed to cancell a sub to FindMyPast?

Romilly ???

Hi,
yes .
I don't know if it's all changed now, but last year I had  a 6 month sub with them and found it  very easy to cancel and get the remaining months back. It was under my account - there's a button there somewhere , which you can cancel and they will refund to your credit card ( unless it's all changed). I found FindMyPast  a joy to cancel - simple, unlike ancestry (who I've been with for years). It was one thing which I found refreshing - FindMyPast was easy to cancel

kind regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u