Author Topic: Davies family Talley/Llansawel  (Read 10597 times)

Offline skychief

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Davies family Talley/Llansawel
« on: Saturday 11 June 05 22:14 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace my ancestors back further than my grandparents generation they were all born around 1904 – 1912 on a small farm in Talley which came under the parish of Llandeilofawr. They were 3 brothers and 3 sisters with the elder sister being a half sister on the maternal side. The names are Margaret Mary eldest half sister, Rachel Blodwen, Thomas Evan, Sara Gladys, another brother who I do not have a name for and the youngest William John thay are all now deceased. Both of their parents died within 18 months of each other the father dieing first before William John was born. They then moved to Llansawel and lived with their maternal grandmother at a property which is now named 1 Spring Terrace Llansawel. I believe that their grandmother was the school masters wife and was already widowed by the time the grandchildren came to live with her but I am not 100% sure on this information. I have been told that their great grandfather was a chauffer who worked at the Glanranell estate which is now know as the Glanranell hotel which was then under the parish of Caio and a their great grand mother was a servant employed by Sir James Drummond of The Edwinsford Estate Talley before they married.

My Grandparents had younger cousins 3 sisters who were born or lived on a small farm on the outskirts of Llansawel near Blaenescair farm on the Abergorlech Road one of them named Megan and another set of cousins 1 brother and 2 sisters who lived at a farm called Cwmleog?  next to Cwmrin farm near Crugybar under the parish of Caio. (none of whom I am led to believe ever married) I do not know whether these cousins were related to the other cousins mentioned earlier. The only information I have on this last set of cousins is that the brother tried to hang himself in the barn and that one of the sisters tried to drown herself in the river. I belive that these cousins were a bit older than my grandparents generation.

If anyone could help me with any information in being able to trace my family roots it would be much appreciated.

Offline catrinelerievans

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Davies family Talley/Llansawel
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 August 05 22:13 BST (UK) »
I have read this message. My mother is the daughter of Sarah Gwladys and if we can help in any way please email me back stating your connection with the Davies family.

Offline skychief

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 August 05 22:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your message but are you sure that we have the same Sara Gladys she happens to be my Grandmother having died in 1955 she lived at Castell Llansawel. I am the eldest son of her son John Elwyn Evans.

Offline CaioResearcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I might be off the mark here, but I found your posting interesting.  Reason, my family, also Davies, have some connection to Drummonds. Some of family come from Caio, others splattered about area, i.e,. Llansawel, Pencarreg, Ffarmers, Talley etc.  My great grandmother was Elizabeth Davies (she married a Thomas Davies).  She 'came into' some money in her marriage, albeit came from working class background.  She was illigitmate (so rumours go) and I'm finding it hard to find her birth.  However, further on, family members had to go and see Sir Drummond regarding pending marriages. Also a family member of mine, never knew her real father, and only found out recently that he came from Glanranyell Farm?  She thinks his name was Thomas.
Just wondering if there is any connection?

Regards

Offline pylon1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 September 05 02:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your message but are you sure that we have the same Sara Gladys she happens to be my Grandmother having died in 1955 she lived at Castell Llansawel. I am the eldest son of her son John Elwyn Evans.

out of curiosity, i am interested to find out why you now feel the need to trace your family history through the internet whilst there are family members still alive who could give you this information,namely, your three remaining auntie,s who at the time of sending this message, reside at craven-arms, ffairfach, and carmarthen. if you feel you can,t get this information from your auntie,s, it might be an idea to contact the public records office as i,m sure the information you require would be readily available to you. i will sign off for now, so good luck with your search. p.s. i know who you are, and i bet you don,t know who i am! ! !

Offline skychief

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 September 05 04:06 BST (UK) »
Two remaining Aunts one in Craven Arms and one in Carmarthen who have both been extremly helpful with information.

Offline Sgt_Tollers

• RootsChat Senior
  • Happy Irene Scarlett 1897 - 1956
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

My gg great grandparents, James and Margaret Davies, were from Llansawel and Talley respectively. They owned a farm called Acheth Uchaf in Llansawel. The earliest we have found them living at this farm is 1841. Their children were:-

Margaret, Elizabeth, William and David. When their father died in 1849 the children were left £25 each in his will.

Is there anyone out there who shares these details?

Best wishes
Sgt Tollers

Tollerfield (All),Moy (Norfolk and Hull), Oxborrow,Ratcliffe,Scarlett,Simpson (Suffolk),Davies,Lewis (Carmarthen),Hennessy (Bermondsey and Ireland), Hand Smyth (London and Ireland),Fenton,Warrener (Yorkshire) :).

Offline Lyndon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 18:45 BST (UK) »
They were 3 brothers and 3 sisters with the elder sister being a half sister on the maternal side. The names are Margaret Mary eldest half sister, Rachel Blodwen, Thomas Evan, Sara Gladys, another brother who I do not have a name for and the youngest William John

This is a real long shot, but we all know how they sometimes pay off!

I've got a photograph of a group of men from Talley in the 30s (from a book 'Perlau Bro Talyllychau' by Brenda M James). The photo includes William Davies, Chapel House and John Davies, Gellicefnrhos (Blaenor Esgairnant). Don't suppose there's a link?

Anyone with an interest in Talley may enjoy my brother's memory of Talley at http://thomas.rootschat.net - click on Talley on left.

Lyndon
Watkins - Swansea. Thomas - Carmarthenshire. Stock - Rowberrow. Jarman - Montgomeryshire. Duck - Calne. Watts - Frome.

Offline Sgt_Tollers

• RootsChat Senior
  • Happy Irene Scarlett 1897 - 1956
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 October 05 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

My grt grt grandmother was Margaret Richard from Talley and she married James Davies of Llansawel in 1929 at Llansawel. The William Davies you speak of may or may not be their son, he would have been very old in the 1930's though, his father died in 1849, although it could be a grandson? That I can't confirm until I contact someone with the same family ancestors!

Many thanks
Sgt Tollers
Tollerfield (All),Moy (Norfolk and Hull), Oxborrow,Ratcliffe,Scarlett,Simpson (Suffolk),Davies,Lewis (Carmarthen),Hennessy (Bermondsey and Ireland), Hand Smyth (London and Ireland),Fenton,Warrener (Yorkshire) :).