Author Topic: Warrant Officer in Highland Regiment  (Read 1699 times)

Offline laceytreigh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Warrant Officer in Highland Regiment
« on: Sunday 30 June 13 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

An ancestor of my husband was, according to family stories, a Warder of the Tower of London and he had also been a Warrant Officer in a Highland Regiment.

The family is being discussed here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,651876.new.html#new  for background information.

I know from the birth of his daughter Elizabeth in 1820 born in London, England(my husband's 4x grandmother) that he was William Atchison and his wife was a woman named Ann.

On Elizabeth's marriage record his profession was given as colourman, not anything military.

The information from the diary of Elizabeth's nephew Thomas Try, names her father as Alexander Aitchison (which is incorrect) a Warder of the Tower of London and former Warrant Officer in a Highland Regiment.

I haven't been able to locate a death record for William and I wondered how to go about finding if there's any truth to the Highland Regiment story. It already looks like the Warder of the Tower has been discounted.

Does 'Highland' necessarily mean Scottish? The family came to Australia in 1853, so these definitions are a bit new to us.

Hoping someone will be able to help point me in the right direction.

Regards,
Tracey.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Warrant Officer in Highland Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 June 13 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Tracey

Highland regiments were originally formed in the highlands of Scotland mainly in the late 17th Century. But by the early 19th Century men from all parts of the UK could and did join; especially before 1873 when there were no fixed depots. At certain times the Colonel of the regiment may have decided to increase the number of highland recruits. But no highland regiments were ever 100% Scottish, let alone 100% highlanders.

The Warrant Officer rank was only introduced in 1879 so the term may have been used by his descendants and at the time he would have the rank of Regimental Sergeant Major. An obvious next step would be to contact the Tower of London. There are only a maximum of about 40 warders at any time so the database will not be large.

If he did not die in service you would expect an RSM to have received a pension, but nothing shows on the online database for this period. For most of the 19th Century the Tower was used as a barracks so it would have been possible for an RSM (later Warrant Officer) of an infantry regiment to have served there without being a warder.

Ken

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 June 13 16:23 BST (UK) »
A 'Colourman' was in the military.   He would have been a Colour Sergeant aka 'Colour' or 'Colourman' in the Infantry.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 June 13 17:09 BST (UK) »
A colourman traded in paint, or mixed the paint for a painter, or prepared dyes in a texile works.

Ken

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 June 13 19:27 BST (UK) »
Clearly a 'Colourman' could be as km1971 states BUT could also an army man as I stated.

The original posting states 'profession given as Colourman, not anything military' - I was just making the point a Colourman was a rank in the army (infantry) - a Colour Sergeant.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 June 13 22:45 BST (UK) »
Distinction between Highland & Lowland regiments can be a bit confusing. Glasgow's regiment the Highland Light Infantry was included in the Highland Division.

Skoosh.

Offline laceytreigh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 July 13 02:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the input. It's very interesting.
I have a copy of Elizabeth's marriage record and it says he was a colour-maker, but on the other thread, someone accessed her baptism record it says: 20th Jul 1835 at St Leonard Shoreditch, Elizabeth Ann Atchison-born 29th Sept 1820. Father William(deceased) Mother Elizabeth(deceased)  Holywell Lane. Trade/Profession Colourman.
A link to the Yeomen of the Guard Warders List (given on the other thread) doesn't have him on the list, but there aren't many names from the early 1800's. I've looked for Atchison, Aitchison, Atkinson, and Hatchison.
At least now I understand a bit more about the Highland Regiments. Many thanks.
Regards,
Tracey.

Offline chezzalea

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hi William Aitchison was a collar maker according to his daughter Elizabeth as was his father-in-law John so that may be how William and Ann met. I would like to catch up with you some time to exchange information on this line. Sometime ago I tracked Alexander from the Highland Regiment to the Tower of London. I will dig out my notes and double check before I post. I believe William died in abt  1823 (still verifying a date) and his brother Alexander helped his family. (Ann remarried in 1926 but to a pauper). I believe that is why a very young Thomas thought Alexander (who was in paid employment) was the grandfather. A bit challenging this line. Chezzalea